What's new

bought a vintage gilette tech today....

OK, so after a little while shaving with my EJ89 (which I love), I went to Denver today and was tickled by the idea of getting an "antique" razor. Now I don't know much much about it, but I went ahead anyway, and found an old razor, gilette tech, with no code or patent number. It was in an old case (peper, serial numbers 534400 on the side, and had what looked like a "new" (read no used) gilette blue inside of it. The guides looked straight, and it was pretty gunked up, gold, the head seems to be brass from use. So i bought it for 6 dollars. I knew it was a safe bet, being Gillette and all ;)
Now I have a few questions: Because it has a fat handle, no ball, and no number on the razor itself (Reg.Pat. Off USA Gillette is all it says), is it really a 1930's razor? There is no ball at the end.
I cleaned it up really well (boiled with baking soda, bubble scrubs, tarn-x and brass-o) and polished it several times. Is there anyway, or is it worth replating? here are the pics, not great, sorry I got excited and wanted to post right away.

proxy.php

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NJVML1N09qHEJOyu9IIhE5is0CA3VpqwOG-5mlmrJZE?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CWsdI9xF2WYATIlM8X_Nwpis0CA3VpqwOG-5mlmrJZE?feat=directlink
proxy.php

Pictures aren't showing up, had to put links.... Sorry!
I did shave with it tonight, and it was waaayyyy gentle. Super smooth shave though!

The last question: Is there an end to getting cheap razors and cleaning them? That is a lot of fun. Where do you get yours? Antique shops? Flea markets?

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Pictures would really help but the fat handle tech came out around 1938. You've already discovered it's mildness. Enjoy your score.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Antique shops generally are waaaay out of line on prices for razors, often trying to get $20 for a very common razor that is bent, broken, or otherwise unusable, only because it is 70+ years old and they saw the same type of razor sell on ebay for that much. Flea markets and thrift stores are better bets, but I have found great scores on ebay. User grade news and techs for $5 to $10, for instance. User FatBoys for $25 or $30, Slims for $20. Ebay auctions will hit you hard for NOS or mint collectibles, but common user grade razors can be had quite cheaply if you are patient.

You can get it replated, but I think that you would be ahead financially to just look for a pristine model on our own BST or on the 'bay.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
As far as your dating question. Since the holes on the base plate are rectangular. It would have been made after 1945. And since there is not a date code it would have been made before or during part of 1950.

Thank you all, and thanks scott for the date! And YEAH BLACKHAWKS RULE! I actually followed Toews from his beginnings with the fighting sioux on to his great career. I was in ND for 6 years ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom