What's new

Finding a new scent

After reading many of the posts on here and becoming increasingly more intrigued, I used Mudassir's services to pick up a bunch of samples. As an aside, if you haven't tried him I highly recommend it. Prices make it easy to sample a number of scents that I wouldn't be able to touch otherwise. And while I live in Long Island and don't lack for high-end shopping destinations, it's nice to be able to avoid the maze of pushy salespeople should I have ventured to a shop.

So I ended up ordering samples of Creed Windsor, Pehaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, Penhaligon's Opus 1870, Knize Ten, Acqua Di Parma Colonia, Terre D'Hermes, and Guerlain Vetiver. Slimming that list down was hard I tell you!

Yesterday I tried the first of my samples, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. Oh my dear god that is beautiful stuff. I don't think I would have ever tried it for the descriptions of the scent on this board, but I took a gander on a sample given people's enthusiasm and I'm glad I did. I found myself sniffing my wrist throughout the day in appreciation. I'm no expert at scent-ology (?), but I know what I like.

Today I tried the Penhaligon's Opus 1870, expecting to be blown away like yesterday. What a let down... It's not that it smelled unpleasant but that there was little scent there. If it wasn't for mudassir's reputation I'd say I got a vial of lightly scented water. Two more sprays made it perceptible, but still just barely and the scent really faded quick. Like I said, not unpleasant, but certainly nothing to make me want to put my cash on the line.

Not sure what I'll try tomorrow but I'm leaning towards the Knize or the Colonia.

If it wasn't for mudassir's reputation I'd say I got a vial of lightly scented water. Two more sprays made it perceptible, but still just barely and the scent really faded quick. Like I said, not unpleasant, but certainly nothing to make me want to put my cash on the line.

Welcome to the board!

That's interesting. Opus has a pretty hefty dose of cedar in it and I experienced quite a bit of longevity with it as with most of Pen's fragrances, however, I have ordered from Mudassir in the past and he seems to have reputable juice.

I don't see anything in your list that is a bad choice, however if you think Opus is "light" then my guess is that Colonia won't do much for you and you will adore Knize 10. Just a guess!

I think that "YMMV" is really the name of the game here. When reading through the reviews here and on basenotes I found it so interesting to see how differently people experienced these scents. My list of scents I'd like to try has the Czech and Speake ones crossed out after reviews of a "fecal note." While I admit to a "come on guys, seriously?" response to such a review of a mass-marketed item (doesn't seem like a good marketing strategy to have a "fecal note," I hesitate to spend money on something that reminds me of the worst part of having children!

How possible is it that we smell what we want to smell, what "experts" tell us they smell? I think that this is the reason I was so happy to see people like Mudassir who can let me try things I might not without feeling so financially invested.

I think that "YMMV" is really the name of the game here. When reading through the reviews here and on basenotes I found it so interesting to see how differently people experienced these scents. My list of scents I'd like to try has the Czech and Speake ones crossed out after reviews of a "fecal note." While I admit to a "come on guys, seriously?" response to such a review of a mass-marketed item (doesn't seem like a good marketing strategy to have a "fecal note," I hesitate to spend money on something that reminds me of the worst part of having children!

How possible is it that we smell what we want to smell, what "experts" tell us they smell? I think that this is the reason I was so happy to see people like Mudassir who can let me try things I might not without feeling so financially invested.

I really wouldn't worry about the "scent" (as we shall refer to it) for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that it is perceived by some and not by others. I have a sampler of C&S fragrances, and while I am not enthralled enough with any to buy them, the "scent" is not the reason.

Decants are a great way to try scents, and Mudassir is as reliable and reputable as you'll find. I like the larger 10ml decants, because it gives me a chance to wear them several times or more, and really get to know whether or not I like it enough for a bottle. So many times for me, after several wearings, my opinion changes, and that can be in either direction.

I think there is something to what you say. But I will speak from my own experience with C&S.

I had read nothing but good things here and in BN about No. 88. Bought a small sample. First time I wore it, I would get periodic sniffs of fecal note.
Researched it a bit and discovered that the fecal note occurs for some people, but not everybody. Some combination of the chemicals in the C&S scents hit a few people that way (probably a minority of people). Who knows why?

Glad you're sampling. Wisest way to go.

Rainy morning, turning to green and sunny spring day. I'm thinking time to try the Guerlain Vetiver!

Top Bottom