What's new

Chrome (not nickel) plating?

I am doing up my bathroom and chrome is the metallic color for fittings, etc. My razor stand is gold plated brass - basically a 6" long polished rod with a forked piece on top with a ball nut. I'd like to get it chromed but don't want to pay the $150 minimum that the local plater charges for any job.

Any advice much appreciated.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am doing up my bathroom and chrome is the metallic color for fittings, etc. My razor stand is gold plated brass - basically a 6" long polished rod with a forked piece on top with a ball nut. I'd like to get it chromed but don't want to pay the $150 minimum that the local plater charges for any job.

Any advice much appreciated.

I'd have to think you could procure an entirely new stand for much less than that in chrome finish already.

Here's two examples I found with a brief search both for less than $30

http://www.excaliburcutlery.com/hom...ecome&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=becomefeed

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001XURHNY

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ahh, different story then. Can't say I blame you, that's quite nice.

Have you contacted Reliable Electroplating?
I'm told they do good work at reasonable prices. Several members here have used them.

Suspect the upright piece on your stand has a nut at the bottom that would allow it to be removed, and suspect the silver ones pictured have a nut on the bottom that would allow them to be removed. Remove the one; replace with the other. The onyx remains!

Nice stand. That piece of onyx is quite expensive to replace (if even possible) and will shatter if dropped. I would probably leave as-is, but be careful if you replace the stand portion and if you ship it somewhere, remove and retain the stone base as it may break in shipping. Good luck finding someone to replate the stand, we have a replater that posts here but his name slips my mind.

Top Bottom