What's new

Alum lasts a long time unless...

you drop it like I just did this morning :c7:

For the past two weeks I've been having trouble with my blade. It was dull but nothing I did would get it back to it's previous state. This morning was a breakthrough and I had a fantastic shave.

Then, I applied my alum, no sting, and before I know it, the block is flying at 100mph across the bathroom.

I have three big chunks left. The edges are really sharp, but there are a few small smooth spots.

Any advice on how to salvage what remains?

For the past two weeks I've been having trouble with my blade. It was dull but nothing I did would get it back to it's previous state. This morning was a breakthrough and I had a fantastic shave.

Then, I applied my alum, no sting, and before I know it, the block is flying at 100mph across the bathroom.

I have three big chunks left. The edges are really sharp, but there are a few small smooth spots.

No good ideas, but I'd guess you could try a bit of water and kind of rubber band the pieces together until they dried, if it doesn't work you could use as deodorant and smooth out the edges with your underarms. I always have a back-up for emergencies. They are cheap when not buying "Big Name Brands", You can find them in many Asian and Indian Markets.

Hi,

I have done this exact same thing. I tried using the smooth bits, but found you get scratched and you become so cautious that you no longer apply with the same vigour. Not convenient, but throw away and invest in a new one. Also, get some other products that you will no doubt need, to save on the P&P.

I've experienced this as well... My solution: smoothing it with sanding paper! It worked wonders on a brand new block I dropped after just using it once. Sand off the sharp edges completely, though, since it only takes one pointy bit to make you regret ever trying... :)

I have never used an Alum Bloc. Is this something that I should have in my den? I have a septic pencil and only use that when I get a nick on my chin. Doesn't happen alot, twice a month maybe.

Mark.

I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me last week. I have been using the same alum block for more than one and a half year when I dropped it. Luckily I already had a backup.

I have never used an Alum Bloc. Is this something that I should have in my den? I have a septic pencil and only use that when I get a nick on my chin. Doesn't happen alot, twice a month maybe.

Mark.

Although they will tamp down a small weeper, they are mostly used as an astringent - it could take the place of AS. If I give myself a bit of razor burn, the alum block I go.

Worthwhile to have in the arsenal, even if only used occasionally. :thumbup1:

-jim

Although they will tamp down a small weeper, they are mostly used as an astringent - it could take the place of AS. If I give myself a bit of razor burn, the alum block I go.

Worthwhile to have in the arsenal, even if only used occasionally. :thumbup1:

-jim

Nice QR Chowhound, I scanned your avatar.

Last edited:

Mark.

Alum Block is an astringent that kills bacteria, tightens the skin and provides feedback (grades) your shave Technique (Blade Angle/ Pressure); mild tingle= good technique, Slight to intense BURN= poor technique. Apply after the shave, clean your sink, equipment and put everything away ~3-5 minutes, rinse alum off your face with cold water, the apply your Scent of the Day,

Alum Block can also be used as a deodorant and doesn't stain your shirts.

Well that does it then. Thanks gearchow and mfans59 for the info. I'll put that on my Thursday list of things to buy. SWMBO has let me make a short list for this payday.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
As HyperCamper points out the pieces can be salvaged. They actually smooth out pretty quick with just water & a (careful) thumb rub.

Alum Block is an astringent that kills bacteria, tightens the skin and provides feedback (grades) your shave Technique (Blade Angle/ Pressure); mild tingle= good technique, Slight to intense BURN= poor technique. Apply after the shave, clean your sink, equipment and put everything away ~3-5 minutes, rinse alum off your face with cold water, the apply your Scent of the Day,

Alum Block can also be used as a deodorant and doesn't stain your shirts.

+1

The stuff has a million and one uses. The 'feedback' is probably the best part though. As for the broken bits - I'd powder them up in a pestle and mortar and mix a little with some witch hazel to use as an AS

The stuff has a million and one uses. The 'feedback' is probably the best part though. As for the broken bits - I'd powder them up in a pestle and mortar and mix a little with some witch hazel to use as an AS[/QUOTE]

+1 to this method. You can grind it into a powder form in a small seal able container and use a slightly damp cloth or paper towel to apply the alum to a weeper. This can allow you to use the alum in a blotting pad form and get some mileage out of it.

you can easily file down the sharp bits and it will be fully usable again...although quite a lot smaller.

Ive done this before when I had a $20 alum block. After switching to the $5 blocks, I wouldn't bother doing the filing, I would just buy a new one.

This is why I stopped using alum blocks! After looking at the million shattered pieces in my sink of my first dropped block, I realized this is just going to happen over and over again if I continued. So I switched to witchhazel.

This is why I stopped using alum blocks! After looking at the million shattered pieces in my sink of my first dropped block, I realized this is just going to happen over and over again if I continued. So I switched to witchhazel.

No need to stop using Alum. I used Osma Bloc and dropped it twice. When the time came to buy another, I simply purchased SAL Allume Di Rocca Naturale. It's alum in a giant stick form, with a plastic base to grip with. Works a treat! See http://www.shaving.ie/products/Alum-Block.html

Try Crystal deodorant - Actually Alum mineral salts.
Sold in easy to use/store stick form at Walgreen's - fairly cheap.
More secure to hold onto - the cover protects it too...

Top Bottom