Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alum lasts a long time unless...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Alum lasts a long time unless...

you drop it like I just did this morning

For the past two weeks I've been having trouble with my blade. It was dull but nothing I did would get it back to it's previous state. This morning was a breakthrough and I had a fantastic shave.

Then, I applied my alum, no sting, and before I know it, the block is flying at 100mph across the bathroom.

I have three big chunks left. The edges are really sharp, but there are a few small smooth spots.

Any advice on how to salvage what remains?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    I have three big chunks left. The edges are really sharp, but there are a few small smooth spots.

sharp enough to shave with??!? :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

For the past two weeks I've been having trouble with my blade. It was dull but nothing I did would get it back to it's previous state. This morning was a breakthrough and I had a fantastic shave.

Then, I applied my alum, no sting, and before I know it, the block is flying at 100mph across the bathroom.

No good ideas, but I'd guess you could try a bit of water and kind of rubber band the pieces together until they dried, if it doesn't work you could use as deodorant and smooth out the edges with your underarms. I always have a back-up for emergencies. They are cheap when not buying "Big Name Brands", You can find them in many Asian and Indian Markets.
    Tabacaholic since 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Gravity is not your friend.

There is no fix, broken Alum blocks need to be replaced.

-- John Gehman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

I have done this exact same thing. I tried using the smooth bits, but found you get scratched and you become so cautious that you no longer apply with the same vigour. Not convenient, but throw away and invest in a new one. Also, get some other products that you will no doubt need, to save on the P&P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've experienced this as well... My solution: smoothing it with sanding paper! It worked wonders on a brand new block I dropped after just using it once. Sand off the sharp edges completely, though, since it only takes one pointy bit to make you regret ever trying... :)
    "Respice et crede. Hoc est, sic est, aliut fieri non licet."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have never used an Alum Bloc. Is this something that I should have in my den? I have a septic pencil and only use that when I get a nick on my chin. Doesn't happen alot, twice a month maybe.

Mark.
    Just a coulple more razors...and I can stop anytime I want...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me last week. I have been using the same alum block for more than one and a half year when I dropped it. Luckily I already had a backup.
    John

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan71 View Post
    I have never used an Alum Bloc. Is this something that I should have in my den? I have a septic pencil and only use that when I get a nick on my chin. Doesn't happen alot, twice a month maybe.

Mark.
    Although they will tamp down a small weeper, they are mostly used as an astringent - it could take the place of AS. If I give myself a bit of razor burn, the alum block I go.

Worthwhile to have in the arsenal, even if only used occasionally.

-jim
    And if California slides into the ocean
    Like the mystics and statistics say it will
    I predict this motel will be standing until I pay my bill

Add smileys to all of my posts. Put them where you think they ought to go and you will be right half the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearchow View Post
    Although they will tamp down a small weeper, they are mostly used as an astringent - it could take the place of AS. If I give myself a bit of razor burn, the alum block I go.

Worthwhile to have in the arsenal, even if only used occasionally.

-jim
    Nice QR Chowhound, I scanned your avatar.
    Last edited by Swanny; 04-23-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    I'm not shaving, I'm Retroblading!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan71 View Post

Mark.
    Alum Block is an astringent that kills bacteria, tightens the skin and provides feedback (grades) your shave Technique (Blade Angle/ Pressure); mild tingle= good technique, Slight to intense BURN= poor technique. Apply after the shave, clean your sink, equipment and put everything away ~3-5 minutes, rinse alum off your face with cold water, the apply your Scent of the Day,

Alum Block can also be used as a deodorant and doesn't stain your shirts.
    Tabacaholic since 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well that does it then. Thanks gearchow and mfans59 for the info. I'll put that on my Thursday list of things to buy. SWMBO has let me make a short list for this payday.
    Just a coulple more razors...and I can stop anytime I want...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Images

As HyperCamper points out the pieces can be salvaged. They actually smooth out pretty quick with just water & a (careful) thumb rub.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mftoms59 View Post
    Alum Block is an astringent that kills bacteria, tightens the skin and provides feedback (grades) your shave Technique (Blade Angle/ Pressure); mild tingle= good technique, Slight to intense BURN= poor technique. Apply after the shave, clean your sink, equipment and put everything away ~3-5 minutes, rinse alum off your face with cold water, the apply your Scent of the Day,

Alum Block can also be used as a deodorant and doesn't stain your shirts.
    +1

The stuff has a million and one uses. The 'feedback' is probably the best part though. As for the broken bits - I'd powder them up in a pestle and mortar and mix a little with some witch hazel to use as an AS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The stuff has a million and one uses. The 'feedback' is probably the best part though. As for the broken bits - I'd powder them up in a pestle and mortar and mix a little with some witch hazel to use as an AS[/QUOTE]

+1 to this method. You can grind it into a powder form in a small seal able container and use a slightly damp cloth or paper towel to apply the alum to a weeper. This can allow you to use the alum in a blotting pad form and get some mileage out of it.
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I lost 2 alum blocks to gravity. I really dont even use the new one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images

you can easily file down the sharp bits and it will be fully usable again...although quite a lot smaller.

Ive done this before when I had a $20 alum block. After switching to the $5 blocks, I wouldn't bother doing the filing, I would just buy a new one.
    - Nav

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is why I stopped using alum blocks! After looking at the million shattered pieces in my sink of my first dropped block, I realized this is just going to happen over and over again if I continued. So I switched to witchhazel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by maestro78 View Post
    This is why I stopped using alum blocks! After looking at the million shattered pieces in my sink of my first dropped block, I realized this is just going to happen over and over again if I continued. So I switched to witchhazel.
    No need to stop using Alum. I used Osma Bloc and dropped it twice. When the time came to buy another, I simply purchased SAL Allume Di Rocca Naturale. It's alum in a giant stick form, with a plastic base to grip with. Works a treat! See http://www.shaving.ie/products/Alum-Block.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try Crystal deodorant - Actually Alum mineral salts.
    Sold in easy to use/store stick form at Walgreen's - fairly cheap.
    More secure to hold onto - the cover protects it too...
    John - the GuitarGuy
    "Shaving is a marvelous obsession..."
    "A man with a guitar should never be bored..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast