What's new

First safety razor for a newbie

Welcome to B&B!

Here's a good place to start. I've never used one, but the reviews on these speak for themselves. By the way, the head is the same on all of those. Handles are the only difference.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
1st off do you want new or vintage? You can get a vintage Gillette Tech or SS for not a lot of money. It all depends on you.

Wow a lot of info here! The edwin jagger 89L looks good, I'll have to look into the Merkur.

I think I would prefer new.

Any badger brush/bowl/cream recommendations?

Yeah, I definitely would start with a Vintage Gillette Super Speed. (Flare Tip) Then you can move to a Gillette Tech for a less aggressive shave, or a Red Tip if you prefer a more aggressive shave, then go from there. You can usually do pretty well on a Flare Tip, or a Tech on the Bay. You will probably pay more for a red tip.

Good Luck:biggrin1:

Vintage Gillette Gold Tech, they can be found for $10.00 on ebay and provide a good forgiving shave. I started with the Merkur 34C, thinking a new razor was the way to go. While it's a great shaver, the money you'll spend on one could get you several vintage razors if you shop right.

YMMV... but I've tried a few vintage and new. I ended up with my EJ89L and the rest are collecting dust. The only problem with the Edwin Jagger is it is just too shiny and pretty. I sometimes find myself cruising into the bathroom to stare at. I might even pick it up and start polishing out any minute water spots or flecks of dust. You start to think you are developing a mental problem!!!!

Top Bottom