What's new

Recommend first fountain pen

Hi all,

OK, after getting into traditional wet shaving, my next venture is to find a nice pen. I'm interested in getting a good, usable fountain pen. I want something classier than writing with a ball point, that I can use regularly.

I'm new to this, so I'm asking. Should I start with a new pen, like a Lamy Safari? Or should I go vintage? Parker 51? If so, I would prefer to buy one that is currently operational since I'm new to this. What kind of price range are we talking? (keep it reasonable since this is my first)

Help me decide on my first fountain pen! Let's hear your recommendations...

I am obsessed with Montblanc. I would buy a Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrande model, The vintage ones are reffered to as a Meisterstuck 149 or Diplomat. I would most certainly avoid ebay for montblanc products though. I have been burned a couple times,\cheers

I would suggest visiting a pen dealer -- it appears there is one is KC:
http://www.penplace.com/info.html to try out a few. You can find a Waterman, Pilot, Lamy, Parker, and Pelikan for under $100 -- they're all excellent pens, but all quite different in terms of feel. The "best" pen is the one you will enjoy using.

+1 good advice. I had 3 Mont Blanc's and sold them. I didn't like them. I'm sure to get slammed by MB fan's, but they just weren't for me. I have had alot of luck with Lamy, Pilot, Shaeffer, and alot with the one's I make. (from kits). I always have a FP with me.

Good Luck with what ever you choose.

Tim

http://www.penplace.com/info.html to try out a few. You can find a Waterman, Pilot, Lamy, Parker, and Pelikan for under $100 -- they're all excellent pens, but all quite different in terms of feel. The "best" pen is the one you will enjoy using.

My first fountain pen was a Lamy Safari with a medium nib and a converter. After going crazy and "collecting" a few pens, Parker 51, Pelikan, vintage Esterbrooks, Kaweco, Lamy 2000, etc, I am still using the first Safari most of the time.

If I had $ flying out of my butt I would most likely try out a Montblanc, but sadly there is no font of infinite wealth back there.

Has anyone recommended www.fountainpennetwork.com yet? They are kind of like the B&B of the fountain pen universe. Have fun choosing!

If you have never tried a FP before I would suggest going out to office depot or similar store and get a Pilot Varsity. They are a disposable FP and are cheap, that way you can see if you like writing with them first.

My first and only real FP is a Noodler's resin piston fill. At $14 I couldn't be happier with it. It has a nice fine nib and doesn't require a converter but then again I don't have anything to compare it to. Most of the reviews I have read say it makes a great daily beater pen which is exactly what I use it for.

If you can find a pilot (Japanese), Hero (chinese)- they shouldnt be expensive.
Watermans are great, but pricier. I am not sure where to find SHEAFFER pens. I used to have a few they were the best ones I ever owned. But lost them all.

Last edited:
I would start with a Lamy Safari because they are cheap and if writing with a fountain pen agrees with you, spring for something nice like a Pelikan M 800 or a Parker 51.

The Pen Place is a fine shop. If you let them know that you're there to purchase and not just smell the ink, you'll be well served.

My first purchase was a Waterman. I used it for quite a while and really didn't like the feel of the nib. It felt more like a showpiece than a pen for actual writing.

Next up was a cheap modern Parker, once again not very good.

The Lamy Safari changed everything though. For about $27 shipped to Aus (ebay), it was a great purchase and one my girlfriend would not return after she used it! So naturally I had to get another one.

Next was a vintage Mabie Todd which was amazing to write with. I got it for 10 dollars at an ebay auction, however the sack inside gave way and I've just been using it as a dip pen.

I also purchased a Namiki Falcon and this once again changed my experience of fountain pens. Like the Mabie Todd, this had a semi flexibile nib but this was engineered very differently with a sort of 'beaked' or curved nib, making it very cushiony to write with, as opposed to the Safari's stiff and unyielding nib.

Both are great for different reasons. The Safari gets used outside, the Falcon is great for writing at home. It also has some decent line variation which makes it more interesting!

You can't go wrong with a Safari to start with. I think you can get the Lamy Logo fountain pens even cheaper than a Safari on the bay, so have a look around. They are quite modern pens though and tend to have much stiffer nibs.

I have a Noodler's Resin Fountain Pen and have had no complaints. At $14 it is very reasonably priced.

I also like Jinhao's, especially the X 450, which you can snag on that auction site for under $10 shipped.
proxy.php

Top to Bottom is a Noodler's Blue Resin Piston fill, a Jinhao X 450, and a "No Name" - the most expensive one was the Noodler's at Fourteen ($14).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a Noodler's Resin Fountain Pen and have had no complaints. At $14 it is very reasonably priced.

I also like Jinhao's, especially the X 450, which you can snag on that auction site for under $10 shipped.[Top to Bottom is a Noodler's Blue Resin Piston fill, a Jinhao X 450, and a "No Name" - the most expensive one was the Noodler's at Fourteen ($14).

I'm with you on the Jinhaos.
They seem to write quite well, and you can't beat the price.
I like the large size, and I'm very fond of the oversize nib.
(I actually don't like the look of subdued or hooded nibs)

Brian (who turned me on to fountain pens) is probably ready to burst a blood vessel right about now! :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Another vote for Lamy Safari for first pen, good priced introduction and then you can figure out what you want/like/can afford :lol: Styling is nice and simple/modern (well thats personal taste, but since you are already considering it seems like you might agree), a good everyday pen where you wont be worried about knocking it around.

Going vintage worries me as I just don't know enough about pens/used prices.

Oh, get the convertor for the lamy if you get it.

I'm with you on the Jinhaos.
They seem to write quite well, and you can't beat the price.
I like the large size, and I'm very fond of the oversize nib.
(I actually don't like the look of subdued or hooded nibs)

Brian (who turned me on to fountain pens) is probably ready to burst a blood vessel right about now! :lol: :lol:

Brian turned me on to them as well... but don't worry, no one has mentioned Hero 616's yet. He's safe. :lol:

Top Bottom