What's new

How many Freemasons do we have on B&B

I am not a free mason but its roots as i understand them tell me it would be like having a priest in the Catholic church who is athiest or agnostic. doesnt fit. Considering the Rituals are performed out of a Bible.

Ive been very interested in Joining but do not know any Masons in my area personally who i can ask.

From what ive read i think i would feel at home. Just need to find a few masons.

I was actually referring to the post saying that Mason historically studied Magick. This is not really the case. You learn no such thing as an initiate, at least my lodge has had nothing like that. There has been a long standing joke that the rituals involved in Masonry contain a part where the initiate rides a goat, this joke is do to the fact that so little is understood about the Masons. The thing that cracks me up however is that the only secrets that the Masons keep are the ones that have to do with the initiation. As has been said before if you are really interested in Masonry ask a Mason, it has nothing really to do with any specific religion, any religion is allowed so long as they believe in a higher power, and it is not an occult organization.

So is there a formal definition of "higher power"? These are so many different religions in this world, and not all believe in a higher power. I think Buddhism for example is mainly concerned with reaching nirvana.

I'm always interested in these discussions because most of the time it seems that non-Jewish/Christian/Muslim beliefs are not considered.

So is there a formal definition of "higher power"? These are so many different religions in this world, and not all believe in a higher power. I think Buddhism for example is mainly concerned with reaching nirvana.

I'm always interested in these discussions because most of the time it seems that non-Jewish/Christian/Muslim beliefs are not considered.

It is entirely possible that they are not however as a fairly new Mason I am not the most knowledgeable on the subject. There are many others that know more than I do. I was never once asked my religion only asked once if I may happen to be Catholic, the church has a problem with Masons and being a Mason may thus interfere with your Catholic life. You can be a Catholic Mason as the I said the Mason don't care about what your specific religion is however. Anyway all I know is I was asked if I at least believed in a higher power other than myself, I do and hence was allowed to petition for membership. The Masons for simplicity refer to said higher power as God from time to time but this seems more out of convenience, since most members are christian, than anything else.

The question about religious beliefs that are not Christian/Jewish/Muslim not being considered can really be answered as due to lack of knowledge of or people who pratice and not due to a lack of consideration. I admittedly know nothing of the Hindu belief system not for lack of wanting to know but for lack of an occasion to learn. Their belief system will likely not effect my life in the near future therefore since time is limited I must focus on more localized pursuits. I don't belive that what they believe in is any less meaningful than what I believe it's just not as important to me.

Last edited:
My neighbour in Holland was a 32nd degree Freemason and a Templer Knight, green sash and all, and yes he would harp on the fact that freemasonry is all about philanthropy and charity, but... he explained to me that not all lodges even within the same country are the same, some have gone over to the dark side i.e. they use the brotherhood for personal gain with the appropriate front, like any other exclusive club they look after themselves first. In England there have been countless scandals in the police and judiciary systems where if you don't know the secret handshake then you don't get advancement. In business circles if you aren't a freemason and are seeking business with a "freemason" then you're more than likely not going to have success with that transaction, this I have personally experienced.

I must thank my 32nd degree neighbour for the Freemasonry insights he provided and the books he allowed me to read, yet another Religion...no thanks... an exclusive club.....no thanks...

Last edited:
My neighbour in Holland was a 32nd degree Freemason and a Templer Knight, green sash and all, and yes he would harp on the fact that freemasonry is all about philanthropy and charity, but... he explained to me that not all lodges even within the same country are the same, some have gone over to the dark side i.e. they use the brotherhood for personal gain with the appropriate front, like any other exclusive club they look after themselves first. In England there have been countless scandals in the police and judiciary systems where if you don't know the secret handshake then you don't get advancement. In business circles if you aren't a freemason and are seeking business with a "freemason" then you're more than likely not going to have success with that transaction, this I have personally experienced.

I must thank my 32nd degree neighbour for the Freemasonry insights he provided and the books he allowed me to read, yet another Religion...no thanks... an exclusive club.....no thanks...
That's the first sensible post in this thread.:biggrin:

It is entirely possible that they are not however as a fairly new Mason I am not the most knowledgeable on the subject. There are many others that know more than I do. I was never once asked my religion only asked once if I may happen to be Catholic, the church has a problem with Masons and being a Mason may thus interfere with your Catholic life. You can be a Catholic Mason as the I said the Mason don't care about what your specific religion is however.

That one's true. My great-grandfather (my dad's mom's dad) was a very prominent Freemason, I think he may have been The Worshipful Master of his lodge. When my grandfather; an Irish Catholic boy married this mason's daughter he was excommunicated from the Catholic church.

I don't know that this is normal or if it was because my grandfather's large family had so many priests and nuns and other people very involved with the catholic church.

I've always been interested in freemasonry, my dad has tomes and tomes on the subject, but never joined himself. As for me I'd probably have issues with the higher power aspect, I have my own personal beliefs but I'm not sure that it's something I could describe as a single higher power.

I am not a free mason but its roots as i understand them tell me it would be like having a priest in the Catholic church who is athiest or agnostic. doesnt fit. Considering the Rituals are performed out of a Bible.

Ive been very interested in Joining but do not know any Masons in my area personally who i can ask.

From what ive read i think i would feel at home. Just need to find a few masons.

A quick search on the Internet should lead you to the Grand Lodge website for your state. From there you can send an email requesting information. Generally the Grand Lodge will forward your email to a local lodge, who will have a member contact you. At that point you may be invited to an open house for an informal meet and greet.

B

biggfisch

Firstly we do not go to Lodge to drink, As opposed to some other fraternal organizations where the bar is the raison d'etre. Masons do a lot of charitable and publc service work. In the US Freemasons contribute $2,000,000 day to charitable purposes. In NY we have a Medical Research Laboratory that does groundbreaking cardiac research, including some of the science behind the pacemaker and defribrulator. Shriners who are all Masons have the world famous Shrine Hospitals for Children. We like to quote the expression that we take good men and make them better. For more info contact a local Lodge. a local Grand Lodge or go to one of many web sites including NY Masons.org.

The thing that cracks me up however is that the only secrets that the Masons keep are the ones that have to do with the initiation. As has been said before if you are really interested in Masonry ask a Mason, it has nothing really to do with any specific religion, any religion is allowed so long as they believe in a higher power, and it is not an occult organization.

How do they define occult? How do they define "organzied" ? I asked these questions a while back and didn't really get an answer (though I didn't really expect one either). If I belive in "infinite source" or "the universe" as my higher power, will they accept that? How do they draw the line? It just seems very arbitrary to me. To be honest, they probably don't have a lot of atheists knocking down their doors.. but I could see how someone might be interested in joining if he wanted to find some fellowship and help his community.

Also, it seems that many organized religions would frown on joining a group like the Masons.. esp. more fundamentalist churches.

If Catholics are not welcome in the lodge, then someone might want to tell the thousands of Masons in South Louisiana where I live.

Go find a lodge. Ask around. Make your own decisions. It could not be any easier than that. If you have the stuff, you will be invited.

Personally, I get a lot a fulfillment with this group.

Last edited:
Catholics can be masons, but you cannot be a member of the Knights of Columbus(a Catholic Fraternal organization) if you are a Mason.

they probably don't have a lot of atheists knocking down their doors.. but I could see how someone might be interested in joining if he wanted to find some fellowship and help his community.

Also, it seems that many organized religions would frown on joining a group like the Masons.. esp. more fundamentalist churches.

Not so, the make up of many lodges are from all sorts of churches. There are jews and fundamentalist church members side by side. And...that's the point.

The path of a Mason is enlightenment. Service to his community and family are a means to that enlightenment.

Okay, I jump in on this one.

Masons are NOT a religious group. We accept people of any religion. If you are a Muslim, you are allowed to have a Koran on the altar. I have been to lodges where there were several religious books on the altar to accommodate their members. Our only requirement is that you profess a belief in a higher being.

As for what we do, I can tell you that we support several charitable. We also make it a point to visit retirement homes in the community and help out where we can.We have lodges that "adopt" families in the community and make sure that they are taken care of during the holidays. My lodge in particular has built wheelchair ramps, helped with lawn care for the elderly, etc..

One thing we do not tolerate is discussions on politics or religion while in the lodge. Such discussion could lead to discourse and disrupt the harmony of the lodge.

Hope this help answer some of your questions

As the motto goes: Masons make good men better.

If Catholics are not welcome in the lodge, then someone might want to tell the thousands of Masons in South Louisiana where I live.

Go find a lodge. Ask around. Make your own decisions. It could not be any easier than that. If you have the stuff, you will be invited.

You can be a Mason and be Catholic, the Masons don't care, the people who care are the members of the Church. one of the first things I was asked when I did join the Masons was whether or not I was Catholic as the Catholic church may frown on my joining. Never once did I say Catholics were unwelcome.

You can be a Mason and be Catholic, the Masons don't care, the people who care are the members of the Church. one of the first things I was asked when I did join the Masons was whether or not I was Catholic as the Catholic church may frown on my joining. Never once did I say Catholics were unwelcome.

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying such an interesting point. I'm surrounded by both and this issue never occurred to me.

Nobody said Catholics aren't welcome in the lodge. What was said is that the church has a problem with its members being a Mason... I don't know anything about the truth of that, but that is the point that was made.

Firstly we do not go to Lodge to drink, As opposed to some other fraternal organizations where the bar is the raison d'etre. Masons do a lot of charitable and publc service work. In the US Freemasons contribute $2,000,000 day to charitable purposes. In NY we have a Medical Research Laboratory that does groundbreaking cardiac research, including some of the science behind the pacemaker and defribrulator. Shriners who are all Masons have the world famous Shrine Hospitals for Children. We like to quote the expression that we take good men and make them better. For more info contact a local Lodge. a local Grand Lodge or go to one of many web sites including NY Masons.org.

+1 on the charitable work. Our lodge provides 3 college scholarships every year. In addition to the other larger functions mentioned above.

Okay, I jump in on this one.

Masons are NOT a religious group. We accept people of any religion. If you are a Muslim, you are allowed to have a Koran on the altar. I have been to lodges where there were several religious books on the altar to accommodate their members. Our only requirement is that you profess a belief in a higher being.

One thing we do not tolerate is discussions on politics or religion while in the lodge. Such discussion could lead to discourse and disrupt the harmony of the lodge.

As the motto goes: Masons make good men better.

+1
The lodge is a great place to visit friends in whom you can visit without fear of being criticised for your worldview, religion, or your politics. Your fellow members are just like family. It is a true brotherhood.

It really depends on whose history you are reading.

+1 or the dis-information you're reading.

--Texas Mason

Top Bottom