What's new

Road trip thoughts

I just completed a 4 hour trip from Cincinnati to Ann Arbor. Have you ever paid attention to the random thoughts that cross your mind? Here are a sampling:

- I don't remember it taking this long to get to the highway...GPS is set to avoid highway...:glare:

- I am still amazed that after 5 years of driving my stomach still knots up at every cop car I see, and my speed immediately drops 5-10 MPH.

- What do I do when I see an ambulance with flashing lights on the highway? I don't think I am supposed to stop, but why is the car in front of me stopping? :blink:

- (In a truck stop) The cashier girl is really cute... *After complimenting the way her hair falls around her face* ...She's even cuter when she blushes.

- It's weird when you drive 10-20 miles with someone and then they turn off. It's kind of like we became road friends.

- That truck just went drifted across two lanes and then hit the rumble strip...(Stomps on gas to get past truck)

- How is there a traffic jam at 11:30 on a Thursday night?

- It's interesting when my Ipod is on shuffle and it plays songs that all have a similar message. It's as if life is trying to speak to me through song.

-Thirsty Merc is really good band.

- I wonder if my razor has come? (sure enough, it had)

Just a sampling, but looking back it's interesting to see where your mind goes...

-Geoff

I have a 16 month old, so most of my thoughts on any type of longer car trip are being drowned out by Mickey's Clubhouse on the portable DVD player.

But, when I was in college, I remember all the things that I would do. Why is it completely acceptable, nay almost required, that whenever your favorite song comes on in a car that you belt out the lyrics like no other time in your life? (that is if you are alone)

And the line about other vehicles, "It's kind of like we became road friends" has been thought too many times by me.

Thanks for sharing your inner monologue.

I got a kick out of this too. Reminds me of how my mind works on long drives.

One difference -- Cops don't worry me and haven't for a very long time. For me, most cops are just kids. I will even pass them if they are going too slow.

I've had a few tickets and in the long run it really doesn't matter. Plus, by being polite and truthful (don't try to rationalize) I usually get off with a warning. Once in NY I was stopped and the cop looked at my registration. In NY there was a less-than-obvious relationship between registrations and inspections. He wanted to give me a ticket for a missing inspection stamp. I had to explain to him how it worked! No ticket. Not even for the reason he initially stopped me (still don't know what that was).

Once I challenged a ticket in court. The cop ticketed me for 80mph and I know I was only doing 70 and admitted to that in court. It was a 55 zone. I lost but it was an adventure anyway. I might even have convinced the judge to give me a minimal fine, so perhaps I didn't really lose anyway.

Last edited:
Great post, and yes, I believe I've had most of those thoughts.

My daughter introduced me to a road trip "game". We pick a mutual theme, and then pick songs to put into a playlist that reference that theme in some way. For example, one theme we had was "water", and we had songs that referenced it in the names of bands, the names of songs, or in the lyrics. And it didn't have to be literally the word "water". It could have been "wet", "river", "sea", "rain", etc. It was fun to discover what we each picked as we drove along. Fortunately, we have similar tastes in music.

I have a 16 month old, so most of my thoughts on any type of longer car trip are being drowned out by Mickey's Clubhouse on the portable DVD player.

But, when I was in college, I remember all the things that I would do. Why is it completely acceptable, nay almost required, that whenever your favorite song comes on in a car that you belt out the lyrics like no other time in your life? (that is if you are alone)

And the line about other vehicles, "It's kind of like we became road friends" has been thought too many times by me.

Thanks for sharing your inner monologue.

I belt lyrics out when people are in the car with me...a good song is a good song. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom