What's new

Dull blade or dull shaver?

I am still pretty new to this whole thing, but have avoided cutting myself or getting any real razor burn....until today!
I just shaved and cut myself up something fierce! My whole neck was covered in tiny nicks and i had a couple on my face. The question I have is if you all think it was just me having an off-day or if the blade dull. It was a feather blade, and was my 2nd use, but the first was a shave of my face as well as my head, which had a lot of growth on it. I've heard blades generally last 3-5 shaves, but I'm wondering how that translates into head shaving as well.
Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Feathers can have some bite whenever there is anything about your shave that is off (poor lather, poor prep, poor technique, etc.) that may be what did it. I have started shaving with a blade only twice and then replacing it. I find this has helped my shaves (blades are really cheap anyway). Maybe your face and head was enough to end that one Feather?

Yikes! I don't think a dull blade cuts so easily. Dull blades usually drag more than cut and nick. Assuming the blade was in the razor securely and the razor was not dropped or somehow became out of alignment, I'd guess it may have been a bad shaving day. I would expect the blade to last 2-4 shaves, if you are shaving your head also.

Good prep will help the lifetime of a blade. I'd start with a new blade tomorrow, and take special care with prep and razor technic.

It may have been my prep, I was a little rushed....I def didn't get to take my time as much as I would have liked too.

Next time I will be trying a new blade and I will make sure to take my time.

Today was also my first experience with Mama Bear's Soap and I was very impressed. Best lather I have had by a long shot!

You're new at this, you skipped prep, you rushed the shave and you used a new product for the first time.

Well, it could be the blade's fault......

I'd agree that is was more user error than blade error. Don't give up on blades too early. Many blades that I thought were horrible or dulled after two shave have become some of my favorite ones. Come back to some that you think are sub-par in a couple months. I imagine there will be a big difference.

I'm not going to be giving up on anything. I was very impressed by the shave the feather blade got me the first time I used it, but I was just trying to get an idea of if that could have been the issue. I'm still trying to feel out how long they last and how I can tell when they need to be replaced. Thanks for all your advice!

I've only been DE headshaving for a couple of months, but it seems to me like my standard two-pass headshave with touchups is worth about two shaves on the face, blade-wise. Just a guess.

Any blade will bite if you use it hastily and with poor prep. So yeah, user error I'd say.

Top Bottom