What's new

Photos of NEW heads

Hi, Somewhere I saw a photo that showed all of the different types of heads and head caps for Old, new, new deluxe, etc. (I sware it was in a WTB). Today when I went back to find it, I can't. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing?

I've searched Country Joe's, Mr. Razor, etc.

Thanks,

Moe

Hi, Somewhere I saw a photo that showed all of the different types of heads and head caps for Old, new, new deluxe, etc.

Moe

Hey Moe,

That is the image I took last year. Here it is below in the original size. I need to shoot a new one with the caps. I'll do it and post it soon.

proxy.php

I've yet to see a 7 O`Clock razor.

Here you go:

Some images of my various 7 O'clock razors for reference.

proxy.php

The head and handle are identical to some British Long Comb New razors.
The writing says: 7 O'clock or Blue Gillette Blades will fit this razor.

proxy.php

Here is a Long Comb British New from the same era for comparison

proxy.php

Here is my second one. The head is copper, it once had gold wash, and the bottom plate is the same as a Bakelite Tech.

proxy.php

This last one is a 7 O'clock Click made in England. This one is still made under various names in India.

Last edited:
I just scored a 7 O'Clock identical to that first Bakelite boxed one off the bay for the princely sum of £1.20 (just under 2 US Dollars) plus postage :thumbup: :lol:

The handle is identical to a 1946 British NEW I have.

Last edited:
Thanks, now I've finally seen one. LOL
Every time I've searched for one all I've seen were blades. Very cool razor, love the handle on the first one.

Any keyword tips on searching for them without seeing a bunch of blades?

Last edited:
Thanks, now I've finally seen one. LOL
Every time I've searched for one all I've seen were blades. Very cool razor, love the handle on the first one.

Any keyword tips on searching for them without seeing a bunch of blades?

I just did a quick search with the built in Google search for (7 O'clock razor) and this great post came up.

It shows a 7 O'clock in a litho tin.

https://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43641

I need to put my images in the Wiki so everyone can reference them.

Last edited:
funny thing about the long comb US NEW is that ive got an UK NEW exacly the same as the US one so they must have made the two veriations in the UK.

funny thing about the long comb US NEW is that ive got an UK NEW exacly the same as the US one so they must have made the two veriations in the UK.

Here are mine: US on the left, UK on right:

proxy.php

US, UK Gillette NEWs

I find the UK model is a bit more aggressive than the US version, but no less smooth. While you can't quite see it in the picture, the UK variant holds the blade just a fraction higher, which I'm assuming accounts for the difference.

And here's a close-up of the UK NEW, disassembled:

proxy.php

UK-made Gillette NEW

From what I can tell, these UK NEWs were manufactured under a number of different brands: Gillette (like mine, above), Minora and 7 O’clock. The latter two seem to have been budget brands owned by Gillette in this era – I guess to give them both ends of the market.

I've also seen Gillette branded models with the inscription "Importe D'Angleterre," which I'm guessing was for general export to France. I'm not sure if the French Service Set carries this inscription, but I suspect it does not. [EDIT: bad guess - see below for clarification.]

I started a thread some time ago to seek more information on the razor seen here. It's here.

Last edited:
Achim - thank you for that clarification. I could not originally make out that detail from looking at the picture on your site, but now you say it, well, it's as clear as day. :blushing:

Top Bottom