What's new

Manly or Metro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I retook the raines of my own self manliness....I've been getting some opposite remarks from friends and family...basically, I've been labelled as "Metro"

....what is a Metrosexual?

A man who appreciates the grandness of a slow shave with traditional tools?
A man who keeps himself well ironed, clean finger nails, and smelling of sandelwood this or musky that?
A man who understands the fundamentals of being well dressed? And disciplined in the sense of being well organized.

....I wouldn't categorize me as "Metro" for that.
I'm not walking into a salon and getting manicures...
Nor tweezing my eye brows
Not even a consideration of wearing all the over-priced trendy fashions.
No skinny jeans for me thanks.

So what is it about opting not to be a sloven pig of an undisciplined man that results in being tagged as "Metro"?

Your thoughts.....

Who cares what other people think? Conversely, labelling others based on their personal grooming habits is lame. Caring about how "manly" other people are is just a waste of energy.

It's just a term people like to toss around. I don't like it, but I wouldn't make too much of it.

Maybe in a different time and place they would have called you a fop or a dandy.

I have tastes that put me in the "metro" camp. Traditional wetshaving comes to mind.

It's just a socially acceptable, gentler alternative to calling someone "gay" based on their dress or grooming.

A peek inside many member's "shave dens" will reveal mounds of what would be referred to as "product" in metrosexual terms. I can see several other parallels and I am not in the least bothered.

It is a very insecure man who would let a label like "metro" undermine his own sense of manliness. Being a man, in my opinion has nothing to do with fashion, grooming habits or sexual preference. The foofiest queen still has access to the basic elements of what it takes to be a man. It's not about fashion, it's about character. You can wear a pink tutu, and braid rainbow ribbons into your beard, it doesn't make you less than a man, in fact having the balls to be yourself in spite of what others might think or say about you makes you MORE of a man in my book.

A peek inside many member's "shave dens" will reveal mounds of what would be referred to as "product" in metrosexual terms. I can see several other parallels and I am not in the least bothered.

It is a very insecure man who would let a label like "metro" undermine his own sense of manliness. Being a man, in my opinion has nothing to do with fashion, grooming habits or sexual preference. The foofiest queen still has access to the basic elements of what it takes to be a man. It's not about fashion, it's about character. You can wear a pink tutu, and braid rainbow ribbons into your beard, it doesn't make you less than a man, in fact having the balls to be yourself in spite of what others might think or say about you makes you MORE of a man in my book.

+1 Don't worry about what other people think. Do what makes you happy.

"Metro" was a brief cultural trend, what, 10 years ago? Anyone who still calls you that is being intellectually lazy. Might as well call you a "hippie" if you wear paisley shirts or "punk" becase your hair is spikey.

As long as you're just interested in good grooming and proper presentation, you're not doing anything wrong. Ignore 'em, keep looking good!

I've never equated wet shaving with being "metrosexual." For me, it's the difference between using a cheap, junky piece of overpriced plastic and a well-made tool. I like the nostalgia aspect of it, and some of the old razors are just beautiful. I got a lowly old ball-end tech yesterday, and the gold plate is in perfect condition. Lovely thing. It measures up pretty well against the made-in-China vibrating piece of cheap plastic with 5 dollar blades if you ask me.

So if appreciation of well-made tools and thrift (?) makes one metrosexual, then we probably all qualify.

A person is Metro if they spend more time trying to look good for something than preparing to do it well.
Additionally, a person is a Metro douche if they think that a person is ill prepared to do a job if they don't look the part.

So don't be Metro. And more importantly, don't be a douche.

Taking pride in your appearance seems to be a "feminine" thing these days, as is being polite and caring about others. Personally, I'd just tell them I'm not metro, I'm a gentleman...make it a bit more old-school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom