What's new

Shampoo Bars

Liggett's Tea Tree & Hemp Oil Shampoo Bar. It's effective, I don't need conditioner, leaves hair squeeky clean w/o lingering scent. In a pinch when traveling I use it for shave soap also.

Liggett's Tea Tree & Hemp Oil Shampoo Bar. It's effective, I don't need conditioner, leaves hair squeeky clean w/o lingering scent. In a pinch when traveling I use it for shave soap also.

I tried Liggett's last year when I was traveling and I wasn't particularly pleased with the results. I used their basic version--is it Original? I can't say that it didn't clean my hair, but it left it unusually stiff and brushy. Perhaps it had something to do with the local water. At any rate, after a month or so, I switched to something I bought locally and was much happier.

Chagrin Valley... great performer and lotsa herbal variations.

Close second: Rose of Sharon Acres -- added goat's milk & panthenol

(gratuitous plug for the shampoo bar wiki article: here)

Chagrin Valley. Cafe Moreno. Moreno means Brunette in Spanish. I am the same.
Among other ingredients it's got oil of clove which gives it nice spicy smell which I like.
It leaves my hair feeling very squeaky clean.

Thanks, ordered some CV today. Went to lush at the mall, and saw the box that their shampoo bar was full of SLS. I want to try one without it.

Thanks, ordered some CV today. Went to lush at the mall, and saw the box that their shampoo bar was full of SLS. I want to try one without it.

Actually, it's worse than that. Some of the packaging promotes LUSH as "SLS-free" when in fact, the bars contain SLS under a different name (sodium coco-sulfate).

What is SLS again? Is it a bad thing?

Srsly? Sodium laurel sulfate (aka: sodium coco-sulfate) and Sodium laureth sulfate --- industrial degreasers used in the personal care industry to make suds and clean. Depending on the concentration used, they can be extremely drying and irritating to the skin and may contribute to hair loss and dandruff. Some feel that they can also be a long-term health hazard.

I grabbed a bar of Liggett's at the health food store, although Nid's post doesn't leave me very hopeful.

I'll check out Chagrin Valley (anyone else here actually been to Chagrin Falls, Ohio?). Looks like Queen Charlotte makes one as well, and I know others have been mentioned in this forum but I've thus far been too lazy to search. EDIT: Aha! The Wiki!

Last edited:
I'm currently finishing up a sample bar of Burt's Bees rosemary and mint. But I'm not very impressed with it leaves my hair feeling odd, clean but still odd. I used a bar of Liggett's jojoba and mint before that and loved it. Squeaky clean but soft. No conditioner needed and softer than it normally was with conditioner.

Unless I run across something locally to try I'll probably just stick with Liggett's. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

I grabbed a bar of Liggett's at the health food store, although Nid's post doesn't leave me very hopeful.

I'll check out Chagrin Valley (anyone else here actually been to Chagrin Falls, Ohio?). Looks like Queen Charlotte makes one as well, and I know others have been mentioned in this forum but I've thus far been too lazy to search. EDIT: Aha! The Wiki!

:yesnod: :biggrin:

My first foray into the shampoo bar, after reading up on all the bad stuff in shampoo :mad3: why not?

Plain but effective lathers great Mystic shampoo bars on my second after month plus (so lasts long too)

Pleasant not overpowering odor, i also got the hair rinse.... my hair has looked better as for the first time in years i do nt have it sticking up when cut it is calmer .... clean but not dry..

I am a user for life now!!:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup:

PS - the regular soap is great too used 3 so far great stuff

http://www.mysticwatersoap.com/

I've used the stuff for four straight days, and so far I'm impressed. My head definitely seems less itchy; we'll see if it holds up. I had actually stopped shampooing every day with regular shampoo because it seemed to irritate my scalp, so I'm curious to see how a week or two of daily use of the shampoo bar will work.

I have not done a vinegar rinse, and I have no intention of doing one. That's just a little too much for me.

My first foray into the shampoo bar, after reading up on all the bad stuff in shampoo :mad3: why not?

Plain but effective lathers great Mystic shampoo bars on my second after month plus (so lasts long too)

Pleasant not overpowering odor, i also got the hair rinse.... my hair has looked better as for the first time in years i do nt have it sticking up when cut it is calmer .... clean but not dry..

I am a user for life now!!:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup:

PS - the regular soap is great too used 3 so far great stuff

http://www.mysticwatersoap.com/

+1 for the Mystic Waters shampoo bar.

Chagrin Valley. Cafe Moreno. Moreno means Brunette in Spanish. I am the same.
Among other ingredients it's got oil of clove which gives it nice spicy smell which I like.
It leaves my hair feeling very squeaky clean.

I just ordered this, very excited for it to get here.

Just ordered one of these (crosses fingers!)
Chagrin Valley... great performer and lotsa herbal variations.

Close second: Rose of Sharon Acres -- added goat's milk & panthenol

(gratuitous plug for the shampoo bar wiki article: here)
I tried the Tea Tree and Neem shampoo bar by CV and immediately liked it and got the results I was looking for, however, the bar only lasted just over two weeks with one use per day. Not cost effective at that rate.

Just ordered one of these (crosses fingers!)

I tried the Tea Tree and Neem shampoo bar by CV and immediately liked it and got the results I was looking for, however, the bar only lasted just over two weeks with one use per day. Not cost effective at that rate.

That's unusual, imho. Mine (full sized) last a month or more. Are you keeping the bar out of standing water and shower spray? Since they are homemade soaps, they will dissolve much faster than a commercial product if left in water or spray.

Top Bottom