What's new

Left hand / non dominate hand

I suppose i differs, but for me it was not a problem. I am not saying that i was coordinated or anything but it did come along pretty quick. IMHO it would be wise to start out with it right away as it will only be harder later once patterns are established. It is my belief that using both hands will offer you better access to angles that are not available with only one hand. but I say that having never done it any other way.

Ian

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's so much harder at first, but so much easier to pick it up than you would believe.
When you first try, it seems as if it would be impossible, but only a few tries in, it starts to feel much more natural.
After a while, you can't imagine NOT doing it.

Shaving with my left hand was no problem at all, tried it on my 4th straight shave.
But left hand shaving with a DE is still major problem :p.

Easier than I would ever have thought. Having a razor in my left hand focussed my attention and learning like nobody's business. It is almost natural now.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
While not easy, I wouldn't say its as hard as say, signing your name with your off hand. What was hard and is hard for me is looking in the mirror going atg off handed。 For some reason my right brain cannot coordinate what it sees my left hand doing in the mirror.

While not easy, I wouldn't say its as hard as say, signing your name with your off hand. What was hard and is hard for me is looking in the mirror going atg off handed。 For some reason my right brain cannot coordinate what it sees my left hand doing in the mirror.

Same here, what happens in the mirror seems to be opposite to what my brain is asking my hand to do, i can do wtg, anything else is just difficult, i will keep trying, i will say do it sooner than later, which has been my problem, been straight shaving now for a year, tried the left hand, and just gave up, so a year later i am now starting a new with my left hand, which is hard, as its the opposite of what i have been doing for the last year.

So how hard is it to get used to using your non dominate hand when starting out with a straight?

It was tricky for me to get and it took about a month. I'd actually resigned myself to being a one handed shaver until one morning when, without thinking about it, I passed the razor to my left hand and just shaved.

right that didnt take long. i am getting quite fast at this straight shaving business.

all in all it felt very unnatural and akward. i got it done with the grain and across the grain but by the time i had relatherd for the atg pass i had switched hands without realising it and i just went along with it.

not a bad shave

So how hard is it to get used to using your non dominate hand when starting out with a straight?

For me it was definitely awkward at first but in less than five shaves I was fairly comfortable with it.

Sometimes I try to use my left hand exclusively just to improve my technique. It takes me longer but I get descent results.

I shave with one hand only.I tried to use use my right hand,I am left handed,but I just cannot make it work.
Using one hand works for me.

Paul

it's definitely a good idea to get used to using your non-dominant hand from the very beginning. if you avoid it till you've got 10-20 shaves down, it will be much more difficult to "unlearn" your bad habits.

it's so natural to me now to use both hands that it feels strange going back to a de, which i always did one-handed.

i also had problems with looking in the mirror when i first started straight shaving. if it gets awkward and confusing, just close your eyes for a second and feel what you should be doing. then, when you open your eyes, you can see where you should be in the mirror.

Thanks everyone, I have a straight coming and I am pretty exited about it. Watching the vids and useing both hands seamed a little scary. But I will give it a go.

btw I am 55 years young so we will see if an old dog can learn new tricks :huh:.

Shaving with my left hand was no problem at all, tried it on my 4th straight shave.
But left hand shaving with a DE is still major problem :p.

LOL I shaved with my left with my DE this morning, ***, my hand would not do whats it's suposed to do :crazy:.

I doubt if anyone on God's green earth is more klutzy with their left (non-dominant) hand than I am, but I decided from the start to learn to straight razor shave with both hands. I also started using the non-dominant hand for other activities also, like brushing my teeth, so that may have sped things along.
To be honest, I was amazed at how quickly it came and how well I took to it.. Sure, it fely clumsy at first, but it wasn't long before it became second nature.
My advice?? Go for it... And stick with it... You will be amazed!

Top Bottom