What's new

Hone vs Barbers Hone vs Coticule and the unknown

Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times before, searching the boards on my phone is a little iffy. also, sorry for all the questions in one post.

What is the difference between a hone, a barbers hone, and a coticule?
From what I've read, coticules and hones are similar except for the rock they come from, but is that all?
From what I see on the boards, hones are usually dark colored rectangles, and cuticles are light colored/crazy shaped/rock shaped.

And a barbers hone, is it just a solid strop of sorts? What's it made of? Is it any good at all for setting a bevel? What does setting a bevel mean?

If I saw a hone looking type rock at say, a flea market, how would I know if it's good for razors, or if it's meant for chisels? Just by touch?

Also, what's the deal with Arko sticks? Should I really take the time to track one down?

Thanks for any answers you have! I'm trying to understand a little more than I do before I start.

Hone is the general term for a razor sharpening tool. There are lots of different types. They can be synthetic, or from natural stone. Hones intended for straight razors are going to be a much finer grit than a chisel.

A coticule is a hone. It is a natural whetstone that comes from a specific quarry in Belgium. They are considered fairly versatile hones, and do come in different shapes sometimes.

A barber's hone is a synthetic whetstone that was originally intended for barbers to be able to make fast touch-ups on their tools while they were working. These are not for bevel setting. Bevel setting is the rough work of shaping the razor's edge before you do the fine tuning. A barber's hone is only intended for freshening up an already honed razor.

Arko sticks are shaving soap.

Last edited:
A few minor corrections.

A hone is actually a tool for sharpening anything, not specifically razors.

A barber's hone is not necessarily a synthetic hone, though they are the most common type. Various natural stones were also marketed as barber's hones throughout the years. Most (not all) barbers hones are cut in a size and shape to be held in one hand and used. Typically about 2x4" up to 6x2.5". Not all stones that fall in this range are barbers hones either. They might also be pocket knife hones, fishing hook hones, penknife hones, etc, etc, etc.

So basically a Barbers hone is a hone intended and marketed for use as a polishing stone for a razor. I often use the term "Barbers hone cut" for shorter and wider (5x2.5", 6x2") natural stones like Thuringians, to distinguish them from the more common 5x1", 8x2" and 7x1.5" sizes.

If I saw a hone looking type rock at say, a flea market, how would I know if it's good for razors, or if it's meant for chisels? Just by touch?

The guys above seemed to get your other questions, so I will tackle this one. It is sometimes easy, sometimes hard.

If a stone is in a box marked razor or barbers hone, or marked itself as such, you are clearly good to go. If it looks like the ones below, colors vary, but the design is pretty common, it is a barbers hone.

Otherwise, you are looking for very fine stones of many types.

Coticules are pretty easy to identify after looking at some pictures, which you can find in these threads. Other hones, particularly natural ones, may be difficult to identify, but feeling the grit can easily help eliminate some stones as finishing stones. If it feels rough to your touch as you run your fingertips over it, it is likely not a stone capable of finishing a razor.

The best way to learn what to look for at a flea market, is to study the pictures of the different types of hones used for razors on the forums and in the various threads to see what they look like. Even with study, it is sometimes very difficult to know what a stone is, because it may be all coated with oil from much use. Some stones also look similar to others. It is a process to learn what to seek. It was also helpful to me to just look at the eBay items under razor hones, not that they all actually are, to get some idea of what there is out there. But, if you do not pay a lot for anything the downside is limited.

Good luck in your stone hunting! You can always post pictures of what you find and it will be likely the folks here can help you ID the object.

Amazing responses guys, thanks!

I will now resume my lazy flea market searches, and won't be getting a barbers hone to re-set bevels :001_smile

There are a large number of pictures here of good hones, and some lesser hones, for razors. The coticule love thread is a good place to look.

"Swaty" hones are interesting, they are diamond dust or some other hard abrasive suspended in vulcanized rubber. There were several brands.

Phil

next time you buy something and ARKO is available, add it to the cart. it's a solid performer and worth a try at the price point. The scent is a bit polarizing, but i enjoy it..

ahaha
Everyone always mentions the scent and how bad it is. Is it like williams? I didn't like williams at all. Is it worse? Is it a good scent at all, or more like cat pee or bad shoes?

ahaha
Everyone always mentions the scent and how bad it is. Is it like williams? I didn't like williams at all. Is it worse? Is it a good scent at all, or more like cat pee or bad shoes?

It is very nearly the same scent as Williams. If you hate Williams because of the scent then Arko will be just as unpleasant. If the scent of Williams doesn't bother you, then you will probably like Arko.

Phil

ahaha

arko is scent is very clean and refreshing... williams is verbena and i haven't smelled it in a while, but they are probably in the same family. it's strong... you can smell it through the wrapping.. many open up the stick and let the scent dissipate.. for the price, its almost a no brainer to try.. i'd send you one if i had an unopened extra one..

like williams though, it's a very inexpensive trial... but the performance is very different from williams.

I don't think Arko and Williams smell the same. The smell of Arko is strong but as stated it will diminish over time if left open.

I also will state that I think Arko is a lather beast compared to Williams.

That said, I have hard water and give all soaps in my possession an honest try.

Arko has a place in my rotation and the Williams had been retired.

ahaha

The closest thing I would approximate to Arko is the scent of a urinal mint. It's not a terrible smell, it's just suffocatingly potent - although as mentioned before it does dissipate if you let it air out for a couple weeks. The scent got it banned in my house by the missus, but the performance really is on par with most of the tallow-based soft soaps/hard creams.

got it, thanks guys!

So I'll try out the Arko, and let it air out.

Would a babers hone be a long-term replacement for a balsam strop/stropping paste combo?

Top Bottom