What's new

The best brush money can buy today?

Hello all......I am contemplating a new brush purchase and money will not be an issue. I am looking for all-rounder. One that can face lather gently.....and all the way down to lathering Williams.

Recommendations please!!!!

Most expensive is not the same as best.

But here is a pricey one at $2250

Plisson Ivory Size 20

proxy.php

But to answer your question, I think a Simpson Chubby 2 in Best is the ideal brush.

Much as I love Simpson's, the Plisson in the photo will probably serve your needs. And if it doesn't you can give it to me.

--james

Hello all......I am contemplating a new brush purchase and money will not be an issue. I am looking for all-rounder. One that can face lather gently.....and all the way down to lathering Williams.

Recommendations please!!!!

Remember one thing... There is no "best" brush (no Simpsons pun intended). If you are lucky, you "may" find the "best" brush for you. It may not be anyone else's "best" brush.

The best you can do is try to define what you think appeals to you. Tall or short (handle & loft), small/medium/large/HUGE knot, stiff/floppy, dense/less so, fan/bulb/flat, boar/badger, handle material.

If you actually know your preferences on all these things, then your challenge is to compare your definitions of these things to others definitions/perceptions of the same things. No easy task:lol:

I may think a brush is too soft. Someone else may find it too scritchy. So it goes.:lol:

Having said all this, I will offer you one recommendation (if you like a soft face feel on a larger brush, mostly for face lathering:lol:) a Rooney Stubby 2XL. Partly because they are so well liked. And partly because they may soon be going away. And lastly, because they are so easy to BST if you don't like it.

Good luck!

Ken

+1 to what Ken just said. It all comes down to what works for you! I've tried quite a few brushes over the past few years and like many of our members have realized it's not always the most expensive brush that gets that permanent spot in your rotation but what works for you on a regular basis. If you really feel like starting with a real looker, then I have no hesitation in recommending one of the Plisson HMW in horn to you my friend...gorgeous brushes! And if you end up liking them, then I have the name of my contact at Plisson that'll customize that Ivory brush for you just the way you want it :)

As said above,there is no best brush for any money IMO,is all a mind thing as in the more you spend,the better the brush.
I think the pricepoint for a perfect Brush might be $200.00 max.

Really like my Vie-Long Silvertip Badger with Olivewood handle. There are many variations in their lineup and worthy of consideration.

Ken, our favourite Dr has that very same #20 in his collection...

Yes, Sameer, I know..... I know....:lol::thumbup:

I think the pricepoint for a perfect Brush might be $200.00 max.

It just depends so much on where your preferences lie. In many cases I would agree with you, but if your thing is a large Finest, $200 isn't gonna get you there (unless you just get very VERY lucky:lol:)

Omega Pro 48-if you are practical, or poor like me.

It's a fine brush, and as you say, very reasonably priced. I won't put it in the class of my Finests or Simpsons two bands (again, for my preferences) but quite a bit better than many silvertips which cost many times more. Soft with good backbone:thumbup:

Cheers,

Ken

I believe that the use of the terms,Finest or best are purly a marketing ploy.
99.9% of wet shavers would not be able to tell the differance between a $200.00 Simpson and a $2000.00 Plisson,or for that matter a quality S.T knot,set at the proper loft that costs $39.95.JMO

I believe that the use of the terms,Finest or best are purly a marketing ploy.
99.9% of wet shavers would not be able to tell the differance between a $200.00 Simpson and a $2000.00 Plisson,or for that matter a quality S.T knot,set at the proper loft that costs $39.95.JMO

Sorry for being unclear, my friend. I realize many folks offer a grade called Finest. When I say Finest, I mean specifically Rooney Finest and I think most anyone who owns one will agree there is no other hair like it. It may or may not be your thing but it is (was:glare:) not just a marketing ploy. It really is that different from anything else I've ever tried. Quite unique.

I do agree that for "most" wet shavers, any quality brush will be "okay". But for people who are on "the quest" I would say there will be significant differences between a $200 Simpson and a $2000 Plisson. I'm not saying the Plisson is inherently better. I, for one (without actually owning a Plisson) am pretty comfortable saying I would like the Simpson MUCH better (specifically citing the CH2 two band here). Plissons are, I'm sure, great brushes. If I thought I'd like them. I would at least give one a try (probably not THAT one:lol:) Nothing I've read makes me think it's anywhere near my sweet spot, but I will freely admit, I could be completely wrong.:lol: I doubt I'll ever know as even $500 is a lot to spend on a brush I don't think I'll like, just in case:lol:

Ken

I actually read a review of that $2000 Plisson, and the reviewer said it wasn't much better than any other brush, and it actually UNDER-performed his Rooney, I forget which one. I will second (third? fourth?) the vote for a good Simpson. If you already have a handle-shape in mind, than any Simpson should make you happy. Most people here love them.

Top Bottom