What's new

The best brush money can buy today?

I am sure Plisson makes outstanding brushes, and I say this because the quality and workmanship of their razors (Joris) is so outstanding. So if money is no object, I'd probably order a Plisson. If the Plisson was out of the running for some reason, I'd buy a Rooney. My best brush is my Rooney Heritage 3XL and I can't imagine any brush doing a significantly better job than my Rooney.

Hello all......I am contemplating a new brush purchase and money will not be an issue. I am looking for all-rounder. One that can face lather gently.....and all the way down to lathering Williams.

Recommendations please!!!!

I'm all over this brush as my next purchase - I think because of its sheer size it will owkr for both face and bowl lathring and for both soaps, croaps and soaps.
This is next on my list of brushes to purchase - if price is no concern, you should consider it.
I think regular Chubby 3 in Super and Best has a too large bloom for regular to large faces - and it's even difficult to dip the brush in a medium to large jar with shaving creams - but Manchurian hair has a much smaller bloom, so if I ever buy a Chubby 3, it will be with Manchurian hair or 2-Band hair.

LINK: http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_MANCHUB3

In my view, this is among the Top 5 best brushes in the world for me to own at the moment.

I am sure Plisson makes outstanding brushes, and I say this because the quality and workmanship of their razors (Joris) is so outstanding. So if money is no object, I'd probably order a Plisson. If the Plisson was out of the running for some reason, I'd buy a Rooney. My best brush is my Rooney Heritage 3XL and I can't imagine any brush doing a significantly better job than my Rooney.

What about Chubby 3 in Manchurian 2-Band ?

I haven't tried or owned a Plisson or a Manchurian. And there are, I'm certain, other fine brushes to be sampled.
However, based on my cabinet and it's contents, the Simpson 57 in 2 band is my top brush. It was originated as "the Douglas" and is the perfect combination of handle shape, bulb size, backbone and tip softness IMHO.

The only other that rivals it is a Thater two band.

Good luck with your quest.

I actually read a review of that $2000 Plisson, and the reviewer said it wasn't much better than any other brush, and it actually UNDER-performed his Rooney, I forget which one.

It's important to understand that with that particular Plisson you're ostensibly paying for a pre-embargo real ivory handle. Given the past and current illegal slaughter of African elephants for their ivory I find the whole idea reprehensible.

For me the most versatile and best all-around brushes would be the Rooney XL, Thäter 3-band bulb, Shavemac D01 3-band or the Chubby 3 in 3-band super. You can't go wrong with any of them. Moreover, they will all deliver the luxurious soft face-feel you're seeking as well as having all the backbone you need to tackle any soap..

My recommendation yesterday would have been the Rooney 3XL Heritage, but my Simpson Chubby 3 in 3-band super arrived today - wow, what a brush!

My vote is a Chubby 2 in super or a Duke 3..... If you prefer the softest of the soft maybe a 49125 series Thater 3 band If you prefer scrubbier than a Rooney heritage.

I love my Thater 4125/1 in 2-band. I can imagine a better brush, but in my stable of 6, this is far and away the best.

My question is: Is the OP going to chime in and let us know what he got... when he sold it.... for how much... and what he got to replace it? :001_tongu

Ben

there are many under 40.00 that will work and perform fantastic, semogues, omegas, vielongs, LaWiat, customs from TGN, FS, anything in my opinion over 65.00 is purely a deception and a advertising scheme, either a brush is made good or it is not

+1. What looks best and what works best are very different things. Also, once you get beyond a certain point, $ is not the same as quality. For me, the current crop of Simpson's best is best. But that is me. Also, I do NOT like brushes that are too large. Duke 2 is about perfect! This brush also works well for both bowl or face lathering. However, I also have a 57 in best that works a bit better in the bowl because of the longer handle. As in all things here YMMV.

+1. What looks best and what works best are very different things. Also, once you get beyond a certain point, $ is not the same as quality. For me, the current crop of Simpson's best is best. But that is me. Also, I do NOT like brushes that are too large. Duke 2 is about perfect! This brush also works well for both bowl or face lathering. However, I also have a 57 in best that works a bit better in the bowl because of the longer handle. As in all things here YMMV.

^ and yes, Simpsons best is magical. I bought a special in best because I like the smaller knot size, and baring in mind it's the cheapest best brush they make at £30 in Britain, it's an incredibly good little brush.

Funny, as I recall Saville Row got an award from B&B, but no one is mentioning them. Granted that was not a money no object category award.

Shaving brushes are high subjective (to individual preferences) just like most other things in life. Just because you spend $400.00 on Morris & Forndran doesn't mean it's the best shaving brush for my taste.

These are excellent brushes for the price. It has the softest tips of all my STB brushes. I own the Model 3126 and couldn't be happier with the performance. The word from brush Aficionados, these are Shavemac knots.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/2014-awards-brushes-sub-150/

Last edited:
Top Bottom