What's new

Lijun Shave Brushes

They're cheap but they work - direct from China, so they get parts and labor for next to nothing. Not bad, actually - in this price/quality range, Frank Shaving has a leg up on LiJun. Their Finest grade is pretty remarkable for the price.

I would say don't expect a great amount of density in these brushes, or especially well-crafted handles (I believe they're actually cast, not turned, but probably polished after). Longevity remains to be seen, but my Finest from Frank Shaving never shed (not even at first). The Silvertip I had from them did lose a few hairs at first but stopped after a few lathers.

Shipping will also hike the price up - you'll see then that they aren't actually all that much cheaper than a basic Penworks brush, and those will have better handles and a better track record (if nothing else, more folks have used those knots and can attest to quality).

Bought a Pure Badger that was just Fine ~10.00 Shipped, nothing different from a Tweezerman or other inexpensive pure Badger. Satisfy your curiosity then you could always PIF it, exactly what I did.

I had two LiJun a while ago...sold both...they were OK, the finest was surprisingly good, actually. And, I paid less than $10 for both (around $20 for both after shipping).

The Silvertip was floppy, but still managed to lather a soap.

News Flash, They are excatly the same thing. Take a look at the handles and tell me they are not.

Wow, that's nice and helpful. It's a bit disingenuous for a guy who started a thread asking for opinions to make such comments. And a vendor at that. Super!

I've had a sampling of both, and the brushes are NOT the same. The Finest LiJun was scritchy, where the Frank Shaving was very soft. The Silvertip was far less soft and not as well sorted. The handles were actually pretty similar, but there's little to be made of that point. It's hard to find anybody making anything new, and not a copy of some age-old shaving brush handle shape. Just because everybody's copying old handle designs doesn't mean they're the same brushes.

I guess if someone is a vendor they are barred from discussing things or bringing up a subject by your standards. So goes the curse of that tag to our profile.

The reason I pointed this out is because your assessment was wrong as far as I can see. They are the same brush, if not then prove me wrong in the thread which is what we are here to do, discuss these issues.

Did I bash the brand or say they were sub standard and that you should by brand "X". No I did not, nor was I the first to say anything about the Frank brand as you were quick to bring up. You seem protective of the brand, any reason.

Frank brand is a good brush, regardless of where or who makes them. You should know that many high end European brands come from a select group of suppliers who make these "private label" items. In the end that is all they are, private label items which is why you see the same things over and over. I am of the opinion that you would have a hard time finding the factory for many of these brands we know of, as they are outsourced. Do you truly believe that each one of these companies employs brush makers who's full time job is to make only this one name brands brushes. Perhaps Omega might come to mind on this level and maybe a few others but that is it.

Last edited:
i have one and used it for a few months, it was my 1st badger. i've since bought a Duke 2 and it now just sits or the kids use it to shave (mock shave).

it was a good brush to start or use for travel, i have no problems with it.

i found it held lather quite well, and had nice backbone to it.

i've heard the silvertip are floppy from a few people 1st hand, mine was a cheaper grade.

he now makes them on ebay under "phoenix" brand.

here's the one i purchaed for $20 shipped to canada.

LIjun & 1980 Finest Badger Ivory

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that Lijun and FS (and the 2 or 3 other brands sold on eBay that have the same brushes with their label painted on) are all from the same factory. My guess is the companies are each one guy working out of his home ordering brushes from a big brush factory and telling them to paint this logo on each one and dropship to this American address, then taking a nice 100-400% profit for himself selling a $3-5 brush for $15-25. Do you really think these companies would exist if eBay didn't let you create a "legitimate" storefront with virtually zero up front cost? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the guys thinking these brands each have their own manufacturer apparently know next to nothing about how Chinese manufactured goods are produced. I recall a National Geographic article about Chinese factories that had a focus on a guy (essentially as rich as you can get living in China without being a politician) who ran a factory that made bra clips... and only bra clips.

Right you are to a point except the 3-4 dollar part, they cost a bit more than that. E-bay, Amazon, or the net is and was a game changer for buisness. Has it flooded the market with goods, sure has. But thats the free market or capitalisim at work I guess. You cannot critize anyone for doing what your doing and sometimes from small things big things one day come. Read the history of Art of Shaving as an example. Look at how many times this board has been copied by others.

Walmart and others has removed most from obtaining the "legitimate storefront" you speak of. We live in a big box chain store world and without E-Bay or the net do you think where you live you'd find Taylors or any other niche type product we seek. Most likely not so theres a plus to these outlets you speak of. Americans have no idea how limited they are in choice of goods these days unless they shop at ethnic markets or on the net.

China and Russia is the place to be if you want to be a millionaire. We've become what they were in 70's while they took on what we were back then.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the net allowing almost anyone to start a storefront or even brand a product. I was just making the point that people thinking the factory making FS isn't also making Lijun as well as twenty other brands you've never heard of, as well as unbranded brushes you can find on China Wholesaler websites only available for purchase in units of 100+, etc, etc, etc are deluding themselves. It'd be the same as people claiming that Mystery Razor (A site that resells Gold Dollar Straights by buying in bulk for ~$2-5 each, tossing out the losers, slipping them in a hardshell case, honing for a fee, and selling for $15-20) have their own factory turning out the razors for them. I've got nothing against Mystery Razor. I'm very happy with the straight I bought from them, but I don't go around telling people how much better they are than the Gold Dollars from RupRazor or eBay.

Last edited:
You are correct once again and that was my original point. There are limited opportunities in shave brushes even worldwide as the rest of the universe becomes over taken by Gillette imports and we see brush creams/soaps disappear before us on the boards. I doubt there are many brush only factories out there.

well i whipped up quite the lather for our 6y old to do a 3pass shave tonight...pics are here:

LATHER

seems to work ok for me. worth $5 or $20, doesn't matter. looks nice, lathers great, feels nice in my hand and on my face.

here's 1 pic in case you don't want to go to the link for more

attachment.php

Brucey, obviously the Duke is better but can you compare the 2 brushes.....basically what is so much better about the duke than the Lijun...

Brucey, obviously the Duke is better but can you compare the 2 brushes.....basically what is so much better about the duke than the Lijun...

softer and not as floppy. more backbone for face lathering, but i still like my LiJun Finest. i believe you have the SILVETIP, which is probably much floppier, but if find my FINEST is quite nice.

i'm still happy with the LIjun in Finest, especially for $20 shipped

Has anyone ever seen this site or used one of their brushes, www.lijunshaving.com

They're cheap but they work - direct from China, so they get parts and labor for next to nothing. Not bad, actually - in this price/quality range, Frank Shaving has a leg up on LiJun. Their Finest grade is pretty remarkable for the price.

I would say don't expect a great amount of density in these brushes, or especially well-crafted handles (I believe they're actually cast, not turned, but probably polished after). Longevity remains to be seen, but my Finest from Frank Shaving never shed (not even at first). The Silvertip I had from them did lose a few hairs at first but stopped after a few lathers.

Shipping will also hike the price up - you'll see then that they aren't actually all that much cheaper than a basic Penworks brush, and those will have better handles and a better track record (if nothing else, more folks have used those knots and can attest to quality).

News Flash, They are excatly the same thing. Take a look at the handles and tell me they are not.

Wow, that's nice and helpful. It's a bit disingenuous for a guy who started a thread asking for opinions to make such comments. And a vendor at that. Super!

I've had a sampling of both, and the brushes are NOT the same. The Finest LiJun was scritchy, where the Frank Shaving was very soft. The Silvertip was far less soft and not as well sorted. The handles were actually pretty similar, but there's little to be made of that point. It's hard to find anybody making anything new, and not a copy of some age-old shaving brush handle shape. Just because everybody's copying old handle designs doesn't mean they're the same brushes.

I guess if someone is a vendor they are barred from discussing things or bringing up a subject by your standards. So goes the curse of that tag to our profile.

The reason I pointed this out is because your assessment was wrong as far as I can see. They are the same brush, if not then prove me wrong in the thread which is what we are here to do, discuss these issues.

Did I bash the brand or say they were sub standard and that you should by brand "X". No I did not, nor was I the first to say anything about the Frank brand as you were quick to bring up. You seem protective of the brand, any reason....

Your original post was for opinions of the Brush, Josh gave his OBJECTIVE opinion, based on experience with both makes; LiJun & FS and stated he thought they weren't the same. HE didn't seem protective but pointed out some of the differences between both.

He NEVER accused you of bashing the Brush(es),
You're the one giving the "NEWS FLASH" stating THEY ARE the SAME, ANY PROOF?, or just your opinion.

Being a Vendor doesn't PRECLUDE you from asking opinions, but if you do DISAGREE your NEWS FLASH seemed to have an "AXE TO GRIND" TONE.

JUST MY TWO CENTS.

Guys, lets take this down a notch - come on, we're talking about shaving brushes.

I agree that there are very few specialty brush manufacturers out there and that many brands have their products manufactured by a third party - there is nothing wrong with this and it is common in many industries.

Also, even if the same factory produces Lijun and FS brushes, that doesn't mean they aren't maid to different specifications - many companies have different brands at different price points with different specifications made out of the same factories.

My only issue is that the public should be aware of where their products are manufactured - for example, I would have a real issue paying the same amount for a brush made in China where I know the cost of manufacturing is very low vs. a brush made somewhere where the cost of manufacturing is higher (assuming comparable quality).

Also, to some extent, you do pay for what you get - for example grade of hair, knot density, quality of construction, consistency, etc. That being said there are lots of examples of high end brushes that don't deliver in this area either.

The voice of reason weighs in, I thank you. However once again I am accused of having a perverbial axe to grind.

I make a one line question about a brand.

Someone states a negative opinion of it over a specific brand right away which I make no mention of, I then correct him as far as my information is. Yet I have the axe to grind. Does the community want vendors to participate or not. Are we just limited to agreeing with you less we be accused.

Last edited:
Thanks, Suzuki. Will do.

I agree with your point about a degree of transparency being required - I don't have a problem with a brush being made in China, just don't lie about it, you know? Don't present your pedigree of bygone years as some prestigious royal branding and then sell me a Chinese-made brush. I'm not pointing fingers here, just affirming and agreeing with the sentiment.

I will say that a common sentiment of "well all badger hair is from China anyway" doesn't mean much more than it says. There's a difference in available hair quality ranging from "I wouldn't put that on YOUR face, let alone mine" to "It's like 1,000 tiny angels gently whispering lather on my face". Not to mention the hair is assembled into knots in varying ways, shapes, densities, etc. Even if the whole brush is made there, as you pointed out, it's very likely to differing specifications depending on target market.

So it's hardly as simple as it's often made out to be. :001_smile

Has anyone ever seen this site or used one of their brushes, www.lijunshaving.com
The Frank Shaving and Lijun may be made in the same factory, to the same specs, but to me the issue is: are they good brushes?

I have an FS Silvertip, and LOVE the brush. Soft, lathers great, and is a tremendous value. I face lather, and have NO complaints. It's a much nicer brush than my Art of Shaving Pure Badger. I will be buying another as a backup very soon.

Is it as good as a Rooney or Simpson? I doubt it, but are those brushes "worth" 5 times the price? I doubt it.

I'd recommend you buy a Lijun or Frank, and try it out. At worst, you'll have a backup brush for the Den, and at best, you'll have a great brush for $30.

For the price, you can't go wrong.

Top Bottom