What's new

Anti-perspirant

I used to use an anti-perspirant and deodorant daily and it used to leave a yellowish stain on all my shirts, where the armpits were. So then I started using just deodorant and I must say that I am tried of all the funky smells these companys put out. I want to go back to anti-perspirant, are there any that won't stain my shirts?
P.S. I am very active and usualy sweat a lot at work, so I need something strong that will last all day.

I use Mitchum's gel and haven't noticed any yellowing on my undershirts.

It is very effective and they offer an unscented.

I can not use any "Deodorant" without smelling like a rubby after a hot day. On the golf course, by the 4th hole I'd be standing alone a lot and apologizing.

A have to use Antiperspirant and find Gillette solid gel works best and have never seen a stain.

I gave up anti-perspirants years ago for exactly the same reason - white shirts stained yellow. Fortunately I was able to adapt to deodorants only. I believe that the culprit in the anti-perspirants are the aluminum salts and I don't know whether anyone manufactures an effective anti-perspirant without aluminum. I've read lots of theories about the cause, ranging from bacteria causing the stains, urea excreted in sweat etc., but pretty much everything I've read suggests that the problem arises, whatever its cause, when the anti-perspirant contains aluminum salts.

Almay Unscented Antiperspirant and Deodorant (link). Available as a gel (which I really prefer) and a stick. I react to just about every deodorant I use except this one. I will hold a memorial service for it if Almay ever stops making it.

EDIT: I should add I have used this for probably 10 years now - zero stains, no yellowing on any of my clothing.

Dennis

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I gave up anti-perspirants years ago for exactly the same reason - white shirts stained yellow. Fortunately I was able to adapt to deodorants only. I believe that the culprit in the anti-perspirants are the aluminum salts and I don't know whether anyone manufactures an effective anti-perspirant without aluminum. I've read lots of theories about the cause, ranging from bacteria causing the stains, urea excreted in sweat etc., but pretty much everything I've read suggests that the problem arises, whatever its cause, when the anti-perspirant contains aluminum salts.

That was my understanding too. I do okay with Arm & Hammer clear gel, but will be reading this thread with interest to see if there's a better one out there ...

I also use the Mitchum unscented gel anti-pers./deodorant with great all-around results. Definately less yellowing, but over time it will begin to show.

I stopped using anti-perspirants because of stains and have tried a lot of different deodorants. I was hoping the Men-U unscented would work, but it caused irritation. I tried the Crystal, and it did OK for awhile. I think I need to wipe it off with alcohol and give it another shot. For now, I use Axe Touch or Speed Stick regular.

Jeff

Yes, the problem is definitely Aluminum. Ever since I was a teenager, no matter what I used, deodorant or antiperspirant, all my white shirts would last maybe 3 months at the most before the pits became an unsightly yellow (that would NOT come off with anything). About 2 years ago, I switched to an aluminum free deodorant and, the problem COMPLETELY went away. I now own white shirts from around the time of the switch that STILL have pristine pits.

Now, the problem is, a HUGE majority of deodorants and anti-perspirants have aluminum as the active ingredient. In fact, the first time I made "the switch" I easily spent 20 minutes at the deodorant rack reading the backs of countless different brands.

Another problem, for me at least, is that besides being cursed with a BAAAD case of pit staining (in the presence of aluminum), I was cursed with VERY sensitive armpits. So, when I tried the most common brand of aluminum free deodorant (Speed Stick) I would get lots of itching, irritation and, by the 5th day of using it, a horrible burning sensation when applying it. This seems to be a common problem for me as other aluminum free brands (Tom's of Maine) do the same thing.

My recommendation? The best damn deodorant I've ever used is Herbal Clear brand, hypo alergenic, aluminum free deodorant:

proxy.php

The aloe version has a pleasant yet very faint aroma and there's scentless versions as well. This stuff keeps me smelling good, completely dry (except if I'm in ridiculous heat/humidity doing strenuous activities) and, as a bonus, it's consistently the cheapest deodorant I can find at Meijer's. It's a little harder to find than the super common ones but, once you see the yellow container, pick up 2 or 3. I personally love it as it solved all of my.... umm...
"pit issues".

You can even buy it online:

http://www.americanrx.com/Products/2788.html

Seriously? I can be free of yellow stains forever by not using products with aluminum?!!! That is good news indeed. Question. Are there any antiperspirants that do not use aluminum? Or only deodorants?

-Mo

Yep. Ditch the antiperspirant your using and you won't get those yellowish stains anymore. Old Spice Red Zone (What I has been using for the past 1+ year) worked well as a deodorant and seemed to keep the pits dry somehow. What I did not like about it is that occasionally a funky smell would develop and sometimes I would get irritation. I just bought some KMF deodorant that I will try out over the next few days and report back with. I'm just looking for something reliable, that will last roughly from the time I wake up until I go to sleep, and keep me somewhat dry, without containing a scent like most deodorants do. Keep the suggestions coming!

I also use the Mitchum unscented gel anti-pers./deodorant with great all-around results. Definately less yellowing, but over time it will begin to show.

That's what I use. I don't get that much yellowing, actually I have more problems with white stains in my black shirts. Is the cause the same?

I go with unscented simply because I can't stand having my deodorant competing with my cologne.

I may try the Mitchum then. I tried the KMF unscented deodorant today. It was decent, but not enough for me, I started stinking by the end of a very sweaty day. I guess I NEED antiperspirant.

I may try the Mitchum then. I tried the KMF unscented deodorant today. It was decent, but not enough for me, I started stinking by the end of a very sweaty day. I guess I NEED antiperspirant.

The last time I used Mitchum, I got severe irritation -- burns from what it felt like -- so I haven't gone back to them.

Is there anything out there without ACs that actually work? I don't sweat that much, but am looking for something that smells decent (or even unscented).

Some of the reviews online for Tom's of Maine were discouraging, maybe it's another one of those items that you have to find one that works for you.

Guys, I'm heading to the store in a bit. I need a gameplan. So far all I got, is this: Buy Mitchum unscented and apply and let dry before putting my shirt on in the morning. Anyone wanna chime in with a better alternative?
Remember, I'm looking for something to keep me dry, without ruining my shirts (read: yellow stained armpits).

Guys, I'm heading to the store in a bit. I need a gameplan. So far all I got, is this: Buy Mitchum unscented and apply and let dry before putting my shirt on in the morning. Anyone wanna chime in with a better alternative?
Remember, I'm looking for something to keep me dry, without ruining my shirts (read: yellow stained armpits).

Looking at the time stamp, I'm a little late here, but I will say this about the Mitchum unscented anti-pers./deo gel. Nothing keeps me drier or more odor free. Agreed that if you don't give it a minute after aplication, it is a bit tacky on the shirt...not cool. So do like Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire "Towel?" "Nah...I air dry." :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom