What's new

Best blade for a heavy beard

Hello heavy bearded B&B enthusiasts!

I have a very heavy, coarse beard. I have tried several blades in a sampler pack and so far my go to blade is a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow for the mixture of sharpness and smoothness. Anyone have any other recommendations for blades that seem to work particularly well on a heavy beard?

I have tried Feathers and agree they are sharp, but I just don't get a comfortable shave with them.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

I find Shark Super Stainless to be my number 2, following Feathers. Infact, Feathers tend to cause more irritation if I use more than one blade consecutively so I change up with the Sharks. They are not as sharp but still mow down a tough beard with very good comfort.

I have the same type of beard. Feathers cut well but give me irritation when I shave every day. I would suggest that you consider giving SE a try. My move from a Merkur DE to an Ever-Ready 1912 has been the single biggest improvement I have stumbled upon to date.

It would help if you told us the safety razor you plan to use with the blades.

I find that the Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge 'yellows' are second only to feathers.

Other people on here like Kai's,medical grade personnas,bolzanos and the russian made super silvers and perma sharps.As always YMMV.

If your stubble is really dense and coarse I would recommend adding an adjustable razor like the merkur futur or gillette slim and cranking it up.

Or if you feel you are an experienced DE shaver you may want to consider a Slant razor.

I say buy them all :thumbup:

proxy.php

Treet Platinum are a blade that constantly fly under the radar here, but I find them only slightly less sharp as Feather. I get more shaves out of them than Feathers and they're half the price. worth a shot.

Treet Platinum are a blade that constantly fly under the radar here, but I find them only slightly less sharp as Feather. I get more shaves out of them than Feathers and they're half the price. worth a shot.

How would you load a single edge blade into a safety razor?? Does that work?:bored:

With a redwood forest for a beard, I would highly suggest ANY single edge razor and blade combo. A flimsy DE blade, even a feather has its limitations. To cut through tough stuff, you need a blade with substance. Treet or Gem SE.

The Treet SE is made by ASR and not Treet of Pakistan. It is carbon steel and often found at Rite Aid. When Stainless first came out, Gillette ran ads saying that 25% of men preferred a coated carbon steel blade, particularly with heavy beards. You could try some 1980s Super Blues or the Treet Carbon Steel blade (USA SE or Pakistan DE to see)......

I find that slant bars help to mow. My beard tries to be tough, but I find that a slant with a Red IP or Feather does nicely.I am actually going to order another slant probably friday. Also will order some gillette 7oclock blades and shark chromes. I need something sharper than the derbys and red IPs ive been using.

Top Bottom