What's new

A photo of my Great, Great Grandfather.

I come from a line of seafaring men on both sides of my family in Gloucester, MA.

When I was a kid I loved listening to my grandmothers tell me about our history. There were grand tales of harpooning swordfish, the giant halibut, the deathly fear of the fog while in the icy waters off Greenland, the unsung bravery of dodging the Germans while running dried cod to the Allies in Europe in WWI. Very exciting stuff for a young man to hear.

My dad recently gave me this restored photo of his mother's paternal grandfather.

This photo shows my great, great grandfather on the right with his brother on the left. It looks like they're bringing up Butterfish in Gloucester Harbor. I don't know when it was taken, but I guessing from their approximate age in the photo, I'm guessing around 1885.

I wonder if they wore bowties all the time, or if they planned on snazzing things up because they had commissioned a photographer that day.

Anyway, I was examining this photo this morning and thought I would share it with you friends here who might enjoy a look at it.

Wonder what they shaved with...

Awesome photo in great condition, I love the color and the story.
I hope you don't mind me adding a photo of my Great-grandfather, Great-grandmother and their first born son.

Photo taken around 1927

proxy.php

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind me adding a photo of my Great-grandfather, Great-grandmother and their first born son.

Photo taken around 1927

Nice Pic! I love the old family photos.

I don't mind you adding at all. I hope anyone who has photos like these and wants to will share!

Photo taken around 1927

proxy.php

I've always wanted to colorize a photo. The opportunity has never really come up!
I hope you don't mind me practicing on your family!

I've always wanted to colorize a photo. The opportunity has never really come up!
I hope you don't mind me practicing on your family!

Nice job on the colorization. I used to be anti-color on the old photos, but now I really think it adds a depth to the photo that's often absent.

very cool pic!

If I had a scanner I'd post up a photo of my 2 great great uncles... with me (far less dramatic than yours). They both passed recently at 99 and a 102. One was an automotive engineer at GM and the other was a chemical engineer and was responsible for the first A/C system in a vehicle... pretty cool to say I am the 5th generation college educated engineer.

Top Bottom