What's new

Is using canned goo wet shaving?

Is using canned goo wet shaving

• Yes - canned gel/foam are wet shaving media

• No - if you're not making lather from water, it's not "wet".

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just because it's popped up in a newbie thread or two. What's the concensus? Is pre-canned gel/lather a wet shaving medium, or does that require the use lather made from water + soap/cream?

According to the B&B Wet Shaving FAQ, the use of canned shaving cream can be considered wet shaving.

1.0 What is wet shaving?

Wet shaving at its simplest, is just that – shaving with water, a razor blade, and some sort of lubricant (lather, soap, etc.) on your face. Men have shaved this way for centuries, starting early on with a sharp knife or stone, progressing to the straight razor, safety (double-edge) razors, and eventually cartridge razors from companies like Gillette, etc. "

It's wet shaving, it's just not traditional wet shaving.

Though one has to question how often people dry shave in order to merit the distinction of the term.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The use of canned goo constitutes wet shaving. As Danielle stated it is not traditional. I feel the joy is in making lather the old fashioned way with soap or cream and a brush.

Any way you look at it the important thing is you enjoy the shave. Make it something enjoyable instead of a chore. :thumbup:

Technically it's wet shaving, but it's not in keeping with the spirit of the board to declare shaving with a cartridge razor, and canned goo "wet shaving".

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It's wet shaving, it's just not traditional wet shaving.

Though one has to question how often people dry shave in order to merit the distinction of the term.

Think electric razors.

A friend of mine dry shaves; Bic disposable, no water, no soap, no nuttin except his razor

None of the canned goo I ever used made my beard wet on its own. The water they contain is essentially tied in to the chemical structure of the foam, it isn't free to hydrate the stubble. You need to wash the face first and keep water on it before applying the goo.

So ... canned goo is not wet shaving unless you prep with water (at least) first. Don't assume everyone does.

Technically yes, but I voted no.
At least on this board it is no.

Here 'wet shaving' is used as short hand for 'traditional wet shaving'.

If it's wet shaving, what do you call shaving with an electric Panasonic (I think) and canned goo together?

Top Bottom