What's new

Help with buying a travel brush

For all the DE shavers out there who travel: I am looking for a travel brush for around $60.00. All advice is greatly appreciated.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I use my normal brush. A large pill bottle from your drug store with some breathing holes drilled into it makes a great carry case. Many times, they will just give you one (but you might want to drop a buck or two into their charity box to return the favour).

I also have a Wee Scot and a Case that I use for travel.
On my last two week trip I brought the Case and it was a great brush.
I paid $51 shipped, with Simpson's tube included, here.

There is a B&B discount at Westcoast on Simpson's brushes, use code BANDB.

Last edited:
Crabtree & Evelyn sell a Pure Badger brush with a screw-top tube for $35 ... but wait for one of their frequent 20% off sales and get it for $28. It is currently out of stock on their website, but you might be able to find one if you have a C&E store at your local mall.

I used one as my go-to home brush for about a year. Its much softer than you'd think a Pure brush would be, and it did a fine job with soaps or creams, bowl or face lathering.

That being said ... you don't absolutely have to have a brush when you travel. Any soap or cream can be lathered up just fine using just the palms of your hands. Neither your razor nor your whiskers will know the difference.

I use my normal brush. A large pill bottle from your drug store with some breathing holes drilled into it makes a great carry case. Many times, they will just give you one (but you might want to drop a buck or two into their charity box to return the favour).
+1. Works like a charm.

+1 on the Tweezerman. I take my Tweezerman on the road in a plastic travel tube that cost less than $10. I have a Shavemac coming and will not travel with that, b/c the Tweezerman isn't as dense it dries out okay. Plus if you leave it in a hotel room by accident it is unfortunate but it isn't cause for great alarm.

I like the Simpsons Berkeley as both an everyday (weekly rotation) and a travel. The wee scot, if I ever get one in the collection, may be a contender. However, the Berekeley doesn't feel toy like at all and is great with face lathering soaps (which I prefer to travel with anyway).

I've got several restored brushes (cheap eBay handles with TGN finest badger knots). I take one of those, put it in a plastic pill bottle (with drilled ventilation holes), and I'm good to go. If I were to lose one of these, it wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't be out a ton of money. No need for a "dedicated" travel brush.

I have an Edwin Jagger travel brush that I never use. My Omega 31064 came with a tube that I use for travel. It has a plastic drip stand that fits in the tube and keeps the brush from falling out. It's perfect for traveling and I find that most of my brushes can fit.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I might run down to the drug store with my EJ and save my money for another full size brush.

If you like boars, another option is the Omega Bambino or the Omega Mighty Midget. I've found another advantage of these two is that because they have a shorter loft than most Omegas, they're not nearly as floppy as their big brothers. (And both brushes would be less than $20.00)

Travel brush problem solved!! Went to Pasteur's pharmacy and they gave a a large pill container. Fits my EJ brush perfectly. No I can save up and buy a Simpson Duke.

For the guys that use pill containers, do you make holes on the bottom and top in order to vent it?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Holes in the top, bottom and sides for me. My brush handle is metal, so it gets a loose wrapping in toilet paper or paper towel as well.

Top Bottom