What's new

Storing sheng between infusions/sessions

So last night I cracked open a sample from JAS-etea.com of Menghai's 2008 7542. I infused it twice yesterday using my french press (don't judge! I might get a gaiwan in the near future, but for now the french press seems to work quite well :tongue_sm) and just left it in there through that night and this morning after making a cup for the morning commute.

I'm trying to figure out if this approach (of just leaving the tea in the infusion container) is a good idea or if it's better to move to another container. Should I let it dry out quickly, or seal the top and keep wet/damp? I'm flying blind here.

As always, your suggestions are greatly appreciated, gents! TIA

I just leave it in my yixing, even if I won't get back to it until tomorrow. Shoot, I've had some in the pot for 36 hours between first and last infusion. Seems to be just fine (and I figure it can hurt the seasoning process - think I just about got this thing broken in). Can't see it being much different in your press.

I just leave it in my yixing, even if I won't get back to it until tomorrow. Shoot, I've had some in the pot for 36 hours between first and last infusion. Seems to be just fine (and I figure it can hurt the seasoning process - think I just about got this thing broken in). Can't see it being much different in your press.
That does make sense to me, but I figure I would ask and see if there was another way. Cool, then I shall continue to enjoy this sample in the press until it is no more! Thanks, Josh :)

No problem! There are a bunch of helpful tea drinkers round here, and I've learned a lot from them. Just passing on what I got.

I use a french press as well, and I just leave it in, but leave the top off to let it breathe. I've found that growth occurs when I don't.

Tim and the folks at the tea gallery were drinking the same pu for 7 weeks and they're still alive so you should be fine. If the tea will be lying for a while and is fading I just fill up the pot for an overnight brew or give it flash rinse with boiling water before resuming.

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/2008/09/what-is-detail-tasting.htm
Wow, 7 weeks! Never thought a pu-erh could last that long! :blink:

I wasn't worried about myself or anything :biggrin1:, just wondering if it affected the tea in quality or longevity and if I could improve on my methods.

But you do bring up a good question: do you guys rinse before each session, or just on the first one or when it's been sitting around for a while.

i personaly dont like leaving pu overnight its never the same the next day. the flavors get muddy and hard to distinguish to me if the leaves is left to sit. i'd have to experiment with drying/ storage to find the best way of preserve post infused tea.

I left an oolong out overnight, in my gaiwan, after a couple infusions and it actually tasted better in the morning.

I just leave the leaves in what ever vessel I've brewed them in and give them a quick rinse in water the next day.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that comes back to steeped leaves again the next day, etc. Oftentimes I'll re-brew my CTC Assam teas like PG Tips, Barry's Gold, etc at night after making it fresh that morning. In the A.M. I require a spot of milk in such teas whereas brewing the same teas at night or the next day allow for me to drink the tea unadulterated since it's a bit weaker.

Chris L

Top Bottom