What's new

What kind of razor is this?

Single Ring? English? (Is there even such a thing as an English SR?) Does the box go with the razor? Never seen anything like that box ....:001_huh:

proxy.php

Single rings were indeed made in England. They are not nearly as prevalent as their american counterparts, however.

The case is not original to the razor as far as I know. I believe the case comes from a tech-esque gillette, but I'm not as sure about that.

Is it a 3 piece or a 2 piece?

I have a Canadian pat one just like that and it is a 3 piece. Seems like a lot of Canadian and British made razor share some uniqueness. I routinely refer to it as my favourite razor, but have not been able to find an exact name for it.

Did you win that auction?

I don't know the timing or nature of the Gillette/7 O'clock relationship, but is it possible that 7 O'clock were making Old Type knock-offs after the patent expired, but before Gillette acquired them (if that is even what happened) during the NEW era?

I do know that at one time 7 O'clock was a Gillette competitor. See post #7 here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34697

I have seen that same litho case with an open comb razor that looks just like a British Long Comb New but I've never seen an Old Type, interesting.

I took some images of my various 7 O'clock razors for reference.

proxy.php

This is the same razor that I have seen in the tin litho case shown in the OP. The head and handle are identical to some British Long Comb New razors.
The writing says: 7 O'clock or Blue Gillette Blades will fit this razor.

proxy.php

Here is a Long Comb British New from the same era for comparisson

proxy.php

Here is my second one. The head is copper, it once had gold wash, and the bottom plate is the same as a Bakelite Tech.

proxy.php

This last one is a 7 O'clock Click made in England. This one is still made under various names in India.

I think 7 O'Clock was a line that gillette made, or purchased and continued to make. Such as Valet towards the end of its lifetime. Some proof to this theory is the obvious Gillette 7 O'Clock platninum, stainless, etc... blades

The 7 O'Clock razors were made by Gillette in London. AFAIK that case is original to the razor. That tin was made by 7 O'Clock in the 1930s. There was another green one from the same period. It looks like both tins contained the same razor.

I think 7 O'Clock was a line that gillette made, or purchased and continued to make. Such as Valet towards the end of its lifetime. Some proof to this theory is the obvious Gillette 7 O'Clock platninum, stainless, etc... blades

You are correct, 7 O'clock was bought by Gillette but I am not sure when. The original 7 O'clock razor is the one shown below.

Top Bottom