What's new

Ipad

The kids and I are thinking about getting the Mrs. an IPAD for a combination mother's day/birthday present. The basic model with WIFI will be more than sufficient for her we believe and anticipate that she'll use it for email. surfing the web etc. I sure of the members here have one - any recommendations, pros/cons you could share?

Consider storage capacity. You need a computer for backups and upgrades of the iOS. I have one that is capable of also using 3G service when wifi is not available. I find that necessary for my travels.

Email capacity is 200 messages per account. If you to permanently keep emails you'll need another means to do so.

Frankly, I think these things are overpriced and underutilized gadgets. $500 for something that can only be used when there is a wi-fi signal that allows you to connect to it is rubbish. $500 to read an e-book. $500 for a 16gb hdd.

An kindle costs less than $150 if she wants to read. If she wants to check the web, she has to be near a wi-fi hotspot. That hotspot might not be free to access. 16gb of hard drive space. That is not much music. It is even less video. The thing is used primarily for people to dink around on and be absent from society. I can understand a legitimate business need, but the capabilities of this thing are super limited. It's half a laptop and the price is way too high for my liking. You might as well buy a laptop for her.

Frankly, I think these things are overpriced and underutilized gadgets. $500 for something that can only be used when there is a wi-fi signal that allows you to connect to it is rubbish. $500 to read an e-book. $500 for a 16gb hdd.

IPad models are also available that can use cell service on addition to wifi. I'm posting this reply over the 3G network.

It's all about apps with an iPad. They were originally intended for personal use only, but businesses are finding them very versatile.

IPad models are also available that can use cell service on addition to wifi. I'm posting this reply over the 3G network.

It's all about apps with an iPad. They were originally intended for personal use only, but businesses are finding them very versatile.

I know about the 3g coverage. It is something that has to be paid for monthly, though. Might as well get an Iphone 4 at that point. It would cost less.

I have the same thought; buying one for SWMBO for her birthday. I have loved all my Apple stuff so far (iPhones and iPods), so I don't doubt the product, just the NEED! But for her (and the my daughter), it should do fine since we also have laptops and a desk top for storage.

I've had mine about a year and love it. It's perfect for casual web surfing, email, watching videos, and games. I use it for work some too for taking notes while out and about and so I can have easy mobil access to my cloud based files. It's not a complete computer replacement by any means, but it works exceedingly well for the above tasks. It is also instantly on, has a great battery life, and doesn't bog down even with simple tasks like cheap netbooks do.

The thing is used primarily for people to dink around on and be absent from society.

This post made me chuckle, given that one could surmise that you're dinking around and being absent from society by spending your time on this online forum...but that's just me.

I've had an iPad for about 10 months now, and I have found it to be a very useful device. I bought the 3g/WiFi version, but I ended up canceling my plan with AT&T when I rooted my Android phone, which now works as a hotspot when I don't have an actual WiFi connection. From a business perspective, I use the "Numbers" app for light spreadsheet use, and I use the "GoodReader" app quite extensively to read PDF documents. The "Numbers" app went for about $10, which is about as much as I've spent on all the other apps combined. From an entertainment perspective, I obviously use the email and internet functionality. I use iBooks/Kindle to read books, and I also use the Zinio app for magazine subscriptions. Someone gave me a Zinio gift card for a few subscriptions, and I have liked it much more than I expected. When we're at home, I run the iPad through our home theater system to play music through Pandora. I have also purchased a few educational apps for my daughter.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I certainly don't think the iPad is an all-out replacement of the capabilities that a laptop provides, so I would definitely consider that before buying. I've never felt limited by the iPad's functionality, but I didn't go into the purchase expecting it to be a laptop replacement. Best of luck in your decision!

Don

Top Bottom