What's new

Head Shavers....whats your tool of choice?

I typically shave my head once a week with a neck trimmer. It gets the hair pretty short but i'm thinking about taking the plunge into real head shaving.

I have seen the headblade out there and i've also read about some people using a DE to shave their heads.

Soooooooooo Gents.

What tool/products do you use to get your bald heads smooth as silk? :biggrin1:

I use bar/bath soap and a cheapo disposable razor. I've thought about using a DE; but I think I'll wait until I hone my skills a little more.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I usually just buzz cut my hair with barber shears, but when I do shave it I use my Merkur Futur set at 1-2. I get it smooth as silk.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I shave my 'nogging' once a week (Sundays), using my Merkur 23C (because of it's light weight [2.1oz], and long [3¾ in], handle), using Shark SC blades. I find that this razor because of the above attribute gives me ease of manoeuvrability (I guess my 'nogging' is kind of flat on top and generally smooth, and round).
proxy.php

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

Christopher
proxy.php
"A razor [blade] can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Anonymous

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info.

for all you headshavers....do you use the same methods for lather as you do your face? meaning do you use brush and soap/cream.....make your lather?

and for the lone headblade user do you use their products on your head ?

Thanks.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rez90:
I use one blade just for shaving my 'nogging' because I've found that after 2 passes (front to back...re-lather (with VDH Deluxe), and make a second pass back to front), the blade is no good for face shaving (actually I get a BBS headshave...YaY Baby!!!), and I haven't had any problems with nicks and/or razor bumps along the neck line. :thumbup:

At first, I kind of cringed
proxy.php
at the thought of using my DE, but after the first time, I realized 3 geat benefits (besides saving from not having to pay a barber [and with these savings....I can buy more cigars]).

1. There is no 'gunk' factor when you use your DE vs. a disposable, or carts.

2. Time saved from not having to 'de-gunk' carts (under running hot water [not green] and constant shaking also while your lather slowly dries on your 'nogging and your cartridge blade gets duller anfd duller)

3. Less passes using your DE to acheive a BBS bald head (of course that depends how long you let your hair grow back and if you head shave everyday).

Just my
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
“Experience is a comb which nature gives to men when they are bald”. Chinese Proverb

I usually just use clippers set at 0, but I've done it with a Tech. If I had to choose between a DE and cart, I would choose a Schick Hydro 3, they're much faster.

Often it's head-shaving time twice per week.
One is usually with a DE, Gillette NEW or Superspeed w/Bluebird or Perma-Sharp

The other time is with a straight, stiffer grind, ~5/8 size.

Headblade, I have several including an S4 Shadow. I use either the HB Double Blade cartridge or the Walmart Atra knock-offs for it.

I have a discount code if you are interested in buying Headblade stuff online. It never expires. PM me if you want it.

Wilkinson Sword Extreme III

Been using it years and no other cartridge razor has come close. I have loads stocked in my cupboard so no need to try DE up there yet!

34 open comb Aristocrat. Takes about 20 minutes, mainly because I only do it once a week. Works very well...I even got rid of that little bump on the top of my noggin.

I'm still stuck with the Mach III as I gain confidence in DE on my face and neck. Plus it's a heckuva lot faster, with no irritation. I brush lather tabac for head and face, and I'm actually surprised but with good lather, the "strip" on the Mach III that used to be the wearing out downfall of the cart has lasted over a month per cartridge being used every other day.

I shave mine every other night...a 25 year old oster classic 76 with an oster 0000 blade to start ,and then around the dome a second time with an andis 00000 blade...then off to the shower...in the morning,the face shave and a nice massage of the scalp with a brilliantine or pomade to start the day off right..

started shaving my head with headblade first time it cut my head up and took a good size chunk out of my head ( enough to have to clean pencil eraser chuck of skin out of its little cart blade and wound was probally 2 times that size ) finished with the ej89l after the chunk it took out I figured how bad could it be the ej89l didnt cut me at all took me a couple weeks of using clippers because of the cuts and the huge honking wound on my head. Healed up and decided to get back up on the horse . 2nd shave with headblade and same same cart ( headblade multi razor sold with it ) the thing clogged so much I stopped using it and went back with ej89l it again didnt cut me and didnt clog .I dont know anyone I dislike enough to pass the headblade off to . I do like the head click shaving cream they make but the razor was so bad I probally wont buy the head slick again because how bad the headblade itself cut me up and then had the audacity to clog when I tried to be open minded about it being a bad shave caused my skill not the actual headblade

I got a Head Blade and hated it. Generally use whatever I'm using on my face, but head is easier to shave for me (except for greater surface area).

I know this is heresy round these parts, but I don't mind using a rotary electric on my head. I just consider it a really close clipper rather than a shave :001_cool:

Let's see... Slim, fat handled Tech, EJ DE89L, Superspeeds from any era. Yep, I can get a good headshave out of any DE in my rotation.

An SE Razor; G-bar or 1912 Damaskeene; Brush & any Tallow Soap/ Cream, 2 pass, WTG & ATG followed by a Buff with just water palmed over area being buffed.

No Mirror used until finished, checking for nicks/ weepers, follow up with Alum Block Rub. Clean Equipment & Sink, rinse off alum and apply Alcolado Glacial.

Last edited:
Top Bottom