What's new

Rooney 2XL vs. Rooney Finest vs. other premium brushes

I just got myself a Rooney Stubby 2XL after hearing a bunch of guys whose opinions I trust praise it (thanks Michael and Mike). :thumbup1:

Two uses in, I can say that this is among the best brushes I've ever tried.

I had a Rooney Finest 3/2. I liked the brush, but I thought it was too scritchy and not really firm enough for my tastes. I had a Rooney Heritage Stubby (regular), and didn't like it.

I have an 80's Plisson HMW 14, and I love it. It is firm, but the hairs feel so nice on the face.

I have a Chubby 3 2-band, and that' an amazing brush. Stiff, and firm without being uncomfortable.

I've had other Rooney brushes which I liked, but found to be too floppy. I've had Somerset and Vulfix Simpsons brushes that were too floppy. Some that were nice, but the knots weren't the right size (Colonel, PJ2 2-band).

I don't keep brushes I don't use, but I wanted to indicate that I have used a bunch of badger brushes - some premium ones, some collectibles, some nice users. Shavemac, Savile Row, EJ etc. Many brushes later, I'm down to a few reknotted brushes, and the Plisson, Chubby 3 and now the 2XL.

-----------------

So here's my opinion of the Rooney 2XL:

In form, it's like any other Stubby. Short, but not too small. It doesn't stand up when soaking in my lather bowl. :(

The knot is amazingly dense. Only the Simpsons brushes come close. When soaked, I noticed the first major difference between this hair grade and the others I've used ---- there's much more clumping of the tips of the hair. The hair holds an amazing amount of water at the tips. When shaken vigorously, most badger knots give up most of the water, this one still retains water at the tips. This is not a function of knot oiliness, as this knot was shampooed, and test lathered several times.

On the face, this has the firmness of my Chubby 3, but the tips are so much softer there's no real comparison. :001_smile It really feels like I'd imagine lathering with a cloud would feel.

No brush I've used before (Rooney finest, other Rooney's, Simpsons, Plisson, Shavemac DO1, Savile Row, etc.) has combined this sort of firmness with this level of softness. It really feels amazing!!

---------------

Now, to step back to reality: I actually like to feel some scrubbiness when I'm lathering up. I have very thick facial hair, and I like the feeling of the badger hairs moving over my face. If the Rooney Finest had more backbone, I'd have kept it (the one I had bloomed too large for my tastes). So far, out of all the brushes I've used, the Plisson HMW has come closest to matching all my requirements (though I wish I'd got the #12). It's soft, without being too soft, and it is firm. The Chubby 3 2-band is a close second (3-band Super, and Best did not work for me).

The Rooney 2XL is a bit too soft for my liking, though it certainly has the backbone that I look for. It will be a nice brush for when I want to pamper myself. It fits in nicely with the brushes I already have, without overlapping too much with the others.

It is far and away the best Rooney brush I've ever tried --- and that includes the (now exorbitantly expensive) Rooney Finest.

If you're looking for a firm, but super-soft brush, don't waste your time and money trying to track down a Finest - get one of these - they're still available in retail and they're reasonably priced. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Now, to step back to reality: I actually like to feel some scrubbiness when I'm lathering up. I have very thick facial hair, and I like the feeling of the badger hairs moving over my face.

The Rooney 2XL is a bit too soft for my liking, though it certainly has the backbone that I look for.

It's exactly these kinds of comments that have prevented me from trying one of these highly regarded beauties....

If the Rooney Finest had more backbone, I'd have kept it (the one I had bloomed too large for my tastes).

I also find a couple of my Finests too tall. Putting a Velcro strap around the base turns them into scrubby BEASTS!:thumbup: Probably too late but for anyone having this same thought...

The Chubby 3 2-band is a close second (3-band Super, and Best did not work for me). .

I find this comment interesting. I too found the CH3 three band not to my liking. I AM enjoying my CH2 two band much more.... Hmmm... CH3 2B, huh?:lol:

Anyway, great thoughts!:thumbup:

Ken

Ken

I bought the 1XL and I do own a regular Stubby, a Chubby 1 in Super and a D01 3 band as well. The 1XL is the densest of them all .. and the softest at the tips. The amount of water it holds is amazing .. and I had to adjust lathering because in the beginning I just got runny lather.

Now I'd say that the 1XL is about the finest brush I own. There is only one more thing I will get and my SBAD will be cured... That is a Thaeter...

Then I will be selling everything else and live happily ever after with the 1XL, the D01 and the Thaeter... (I don't think the Chubby makes the short list)
:001_rolle

IMHO you got a bum finest. I've had two. The first was a 3/1... it was 44mm loft and had too much backbone for me. Only brush I've ever had that issue with. I sold it and got a 1/2 that measures 25mm and has a 51mmish loft if memory serves. It has easily 25% more hair than my 30mm XXXL did, and though quantifying it is really a guess, I'd say 50-100% more backbone. And I liked that XXXL, it was a good brush that was dense and had good backbone, the finest is just frankly out of this world.

That aside, nice review on the XL series.

Ian -

I'm sure you're right in that I got a dud, but at $300 a pop for a size 2 Finest, I wasn't about to keep buying them to find one that worked for me (anyway, they're hard to find). :001_rolle

Given the bloom on the 3/2 Finest, it was remarkably firm - but still too floppy for my taste.

The 2XL I have certainly seems denser than the 3/2 Finest I had. I'm going off memory here, so I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'll reiterate: if you want scritch, the 2XL is not for you. However, if you want soft tips coupled with backbone, then it's a good option.

I agree with Ian -- owning both the 2XL and the Finest. The finest holds & releases its lather more easily than the 2XL. The 2XL is a great brush, just doesn't compare -- in my experience -- to the Finest. Now I got the Finest a year or so ago so I'm not dealing with the limited supply pricing. Nonetheless, I probably paid close to double for the Finest than the 2XL. But at some point the price is based on scarcity/supply. So I wouldn't say the Finnest is double the value of the 2XL.

Bottom line -- since the Finest isn't available new right now -- go for the 2XL. But you have to accept that -- in my opinion & experience -- it's not up to the standards of the Rooney Finest.

Top Bottom