What's new

Magnetic Knife Racks

We've got a real nice knife storage solution now available.

proxy.php

This knife rack is made of solid wood, there are no veneers used as facing over lesser quality woods, it is hand planed/sanded and finished to the highest level possible.

Key design features:

Solid Wood (no veneers)

Hand Worked

Premium Finish

Double Width - 4" width ensures good purchase

Rare Earth Magnets Used

Double Magnets (per row) - 24" model has 11 rows x 2 magnets = 22 total / 16" model has 7 rows x 2 magnets = 14 total > Double magnet placement allows for small knives to be held securely from either top or bottom positions.

Perfect magnetic strength for all kitchen knives.

Rounded Edges - Safer for use on very thin edged knives like the usuba or yangiba. Presents a soft touch for going on and off the rack.

Double Mounting Holes (4 total)

Purpose designed and built in the USA by a kitchen knifenut specifically for use by other kitchen knifenuts. :001_smile

Each rack is a one of a kind.

proxy.php

See Premium Magnetic Knife Racks for details.

These seem really expensive. I got a metal one at Ikea for 7 bucks. Does the wood really add that much cost? They look nice, but it doesn't seem like a very good value.

Metal racks scratch knives and dull/chip edges easily - wood doesn't. Most other racks have too strong a magnetic pull or too weak - these are perfect.There are many wooden knife racks available but not many finished to a degree of furniture grade to compliment your kitchen cabinetry - these are.

The bottom line is that these racks are expensive but are meant to house expensive knives. They'll likely only be a value to someone who values their knife storage solution as much as their knives.

These seem really expensive. I got a metal one at Ikea for 7 bucks. Does the wood really add that much cost? They look nice, but it doesn't seem like a very good value.

They are pricey, but anything made by hand, intended to be the best of the best is going to be. I'm not a knife nut or a knife holder nut, but if something is your passion, only the finest will do. Same reason I have paid close to $200.00 for a used Dunhill pipe to smoke tobacco out of that I could have smoked in a $10.00 corn cob pipe. Eye of the beholder and all that stuff.:001_smile

They are pricey, but anything made by hand, intended to be the best of the best is going to be. I'm not a knife nut or a knife holder nut, but if something is your passion, only the finest will do. Same reason I have paid close to $200.00 for a used Dunhill pipe to smoke tobacco out of that I could have smoked in a $10.00 corn cob pipe. Eye of the beholder and all that stuff.:001_smile

+1. Valid point. You really do get what you pay for in today's mass produced product society. One of a kind hand crafted quality will cost more. It is worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

Those look very nice Dave but I agree on the price concerns. I have a Mag-Blok in my kitchen from Benchcrafted. I don't think they are quite a large as the one you are carrying though. Best of luck with it - nice knives!

I too have a Mag-Blok hanging in my kitchen, it's a special order 3"x48" model in spalted something or other and I love it! :001_smile

These mag racks that we have available are a clear upgrade to Mag-Blok's high end models like I have though. The biggest differences between them are (on the surface) slight but noteworthy none the less.

In a side by side comparison of these new mag racks with my extra wide Mag-Blok showed a much smoother approach and release going to the new mag rack yet as strong or stronger holding power than the Mag-Blok. I believe the magnet strength/position combined with the rounded corners and wider surface contact area of the mag rack is what makes this feature stand out so clearly.

My custom Mag-Blok (as noted) was a speacial order (very expensive) - cut from a solid length of wood with a thin layer (veneer) peeled from the front and then re-attached after inserting the magnetic rack inside but as I understand it (and I may be incorrect here) most of their lower priced models are seen with veneers of pricey woods applied over lesser grade wood backings.

In the case of these new mag racks we have available, these are solid wood, only drilled out in spots to insert the magnets and then the holes are plugged with wood from the same board. They are solid wood - no veeners.

Another difference is surface finish, while the Mag-Bloks are finished very nicely they are not finished to the furniture level grade that these new mag racks are being taken to.

Again, I love my Mag-Blok and wouldn't give it up for anything but I know that my next addition to my wall will be one of these new Premium Magnetic Racks for sure.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and considerations here. :thumbup1:

Dave

They are pricey, but anything made by hand, intended to be the best of the best is going to be. I'm not a knife nut or a knife holder nut, but if something is your passion, only the finest will do.

I certainly respect that position, and don't want to sound argumentative, but if we look at things that way it almost seems like we will pay any price for something just because it is supposed to be "the best". Is there a point when even "the best" is overpriced? I certainly don't know much about magnetic knife racks, and my original comment was in hopes of better understanding the high cost, but I am not sure that I do, even now.

Anyway, I'm sure they are very nice and I am just not meant to understand.

Very cool. I have a chef friend who is looking for a leather cover for his magnetic knife rack. I think this would be a much cooler alternative.

I'd buy a set but I have crappy dollar store knives :tongue_sm

I had a magnetic rack mounted under a cabinet once.
it was a metal one that had a magnet strong enough to hold a monster truck.
By far the worst problem with it was that my friends would come and grab a knife and slide it out.
They couldn't hear my angry protests over the sound of the blade scraping against the magnet.
Luckily it broke.

These ones look nice. If they can help protect the blade a little, then they're better than just a metal magnet. This I know for sure.

I certainly respect that position, and don't want to sound argumentative, but if we look at things that way it almost seems like we will pay any price for something just because it is supposed to be "the best". Is there a point when even "the best" is overpriced? I certainly don't know much about magnetic knife racks, and my original comment was in hopes of better understanding the high cost, but I am not sure that I do, even now.

Anyway, I'm sure they are very nice and I am just not meant to understand.

There's no argument, I don't understand someone spending $10,000.00 or more for a Rolex, or someone spending $180.00 for a knife holder. If it's your thing, it's important to you. If you want something that represents your commitment to a hobby/passion, you shell out extra for the best. Are Toggles really worth what they're going for these days in a shave quality comparison? I couldn't tell you because I have never shaved with one, and I never will, unless some one gives me one, or I find one under a rock. I think we agree on principal, just not perspective.:001_smile

Top Bottom