What's new

Adding Menthol to Witch Hazel

If you get the non-alcoholic WH, you can't throw the crystals in. What I do is this:

Put a little bit of Thayers alcohol based aftershave in a spray bottle ~10%. I then throw in a crystal and let it dissolve overnight. Next morning, add in the WH to the top, give it a little shake and presto: mentholated witch hazel.

If you get the non-alcoholic WH, you can't throw the crystals in. What I do is this:

Put a little bit of Thayers alcohol based aftershave in a spray bottle ~10%. I then throw in a crystal and let it dissolve overnight. Next morning, add in the WH to the top, give it a little shake and presto: mentholated witch hazel.

I'm sorry. Just a little confused. Is this for an alcohol or non-alcohol based WH? You say both. Does it make a difference?

Codfish

I use a natural WH and add menthol crystals to it. While they don't disolve straight away a good shake every use and they do disolve eventually. I find a big heap enough to get that menthol blast effect. Just remember to shake befor use. No problems. Store in a usec Proraso bottle with atomiser.

Just for clarification, I use the regular 14% alcohol with hazel. No scents, just plain nasty witch hazel.

Would those crystals like what I linked to on ebay work, or are there different grades/types of crystals? Also, is there a recomended amount that should be added. I would not want to irritate my skin. I saw the oils on Mama Bears website, but it just looked like the crystals may be more bang for the buck.

Menthol crystals dissolve quickly in alcohol; they may or may not dissolve in other liquids, creams, etc. When I want to add menthol to a non alcohol product; I use a mortar and pestle and grind the menthol crystal to something that resembles fine powdered sugar, this will increase the surface area of the menthol and speed up dissolution or dispersion in whatever you want to add it to

ken

If you add menthol be careful not to get it near your eyes. I like to splash plain witch hazel all over my face. It closes the pores and refreshes tired baggy eyes.

Top Bottom