What's new

A Comprehensive Visual Rundown of What a REAL Green Irish Tweed Looks Like

On B&B, basenotes, and other fragrance blogs there are numerous postings about how to spot a fake Green Irish Tweed, full of photographs of fakes, sometimes with the fakes juxtaposed next to the real thing. This is all okay, but often it gets confusing, and what astounds me is how invariably skimpy the information is. They go over some basics, but not much regarding the details - and none of them bother to simply show and describe a 100% genuine Green Irish Tweed. Consequently there are countless newbies out there scrambling around the internet, trying to figure out if that 4 ouncer they bought off strawberrynet.com is real or fake.

I feel it's a better service to just document exactly what the REAL Green Irish Tweed bottle and box looks like. Usually fakes have anywhere from ten to twenty giveaways in the details, but unless you can see the real thing in detail, it's hard to compare. It goes without saying - when buying GIT or any Creed, stay away from ebay. But if you've caved and trusted that seller with a 100% favorability rating, and received a box and bottle that seems real, here's a way to be sure. The only caveat is that the box and bottle shown here are the most recent incarnations - older versions look subtly different. In time the older versions will get phased out, and this box and bottle will be the only ones to buy. The only major difference between the old and the new is the embossing of CREED all over the place. That's a new-box feature, with older boxes simply of plain white cardboard.

When I first started buying Creed, I wished someone would just present the genuine article for comparison. So now I'm doing just that. Let's get started with the first 3 of 22 images . . .

proxy.php
:
proxy.php
:
proxy.php

As you can see, this is Green Irish Tweed with the box. This is the latest version of the bottle and box - the bottle hasn't really changed, but the box has. Earlier versions of the box (going back about two years) did not have the Creed logo and name embossed all over it - BUT COUNTERFEIT BOXES DID! This complicates the quest for truth. But fortunately there are plenty of other details to check out besides the embossing. The real box should be as pictured, about the same height and width as the bottle, and three colors: white, moss green, and gold.

MIDDLE

The bottle is the hardest thing to spot when dealing with the difference between real and fake. Unfortunately, the GIT bottle is pretty basic-looking, simple in design and coloring, and therefore subject to easy manufacturing by counterfeiters. However, there are quite a few things to look out for - here is what a real GIT bottle from 2011 looks like at a glance. Really the only thing to notice here is that the cap lines up nicely to the short "collar" that extends up off the top of the bottle. This collar should have three semi-smooth sides as pictured (no hard lines are anywhere on the bottle itself).

BOTTOM

Let's take a quick look at the atomizer. The Creed logo should be fairly well-centered with the nozzle. However, don't be put off it yours isn't mathematically precise in its centering - mine isn't, which tells me that the stamping on this piece is close but not 100% centered. Prior versions of the atomizer may have been more accurate, but the current version is not. Also notice that the nozzle is depressed from the atomizer cap and is black. The atomizer attachment to the bottle is the same shade black as the atomizer itself - glossy black metal. There should be a uniform glossy black look to the entire atomizer mechanism, which is clearer in the image below.

proxy.php
:
proxy.php
:
proxy.php

Here we have a good look at the bottle with the cap off. Again, notice the proportions of the atomizer to the bottle. It's a pretty good-sized mechanism. Look at how the glass bottle extends a little ways past the collar before connecting with the glossy base of the atomizer - this is only evident when the cap is off. Counterfeits probably won't have these proportions exactly right. Also look at the fine ribbing of the base to the glass, airtight against the bottle.

MIDDLE

Here we have one of the most well-known telltale signs of a real Creed - the white atomizer ring. When you remove the atomizer, the ring at its base should be white plastic. If it's black to match the bottle or atomizer, it's fake, fake, fake. The nozzle itself should extend a little ways up and is also white.

BOTTOM

One thing I notice with counterfeit Green Irish Tweed bottles is that the bottle itself has centered seams connecting two units of glass, which are visible from the top. These seams are usually very distinct and sharp because the glass is not coated the same way as the genuine article. Here, from a top view, you can see how the flask-shaped bottle does have a seam, but it is very soft-looking. Obviously the real Creed bottle manufacturer connects the two parts before the matte black coating process, and that makes the seams somewhat indistinct. Anything that looks like fancy plastic in the seamwork should be regarded with suspicion. Take a look at the more obvious seams on the fake GIT here:

proxy.php

proxy.php
:
proxy.php
:
proxy.php

I tend to ignore the caps of my Creeds because I think looking at the bottle and box are far more important - caps are interchangeable, and just because you have a fake cap doesn't necessarily mean the whole deal is fake - just that your merchant dabbles in both real and fake Creeds, and mixed up the merchandise. In any event, it's not a bad idea to know the basics behind what a real GIT cap looks like - the same rules apply to all Creed caps. Here you see the top, which has the circular impressed logo (the Welsh crest) firmly centered on it. You should get the impression that rather than this being one piece of plastic, it's two, mainly because real Creed caps are two pieces of plastic put together. NOTE - THE WHITE FLECKS IN THESE PICTURES ARE DUST.

MIDDLE

This is more obvious when you turn the cap around and look at the inside. All Creed caps should have a cap within a cap, made obvious by the wedged ring around the inside seam. GIT, Silver Mountain Water, Original Vetiver - they're all the same, and all look like this, albeit in different colors depending on the type of scent.

BOTTOM

If you're feeling particularly nervous about your atomizer, take a look at the inside of it. There should be a rather complex arrangement comprised of a milky, semi-translucent plastic fixture to the outer black plastic shell.

proxy.php
:
proxy.php
:
proxy.php

The bottom of GIT bottles look very simply like this. It should say MADE IN FRANCE/PARIS and have a rather feeble-looking version of the Creed insignia centered on it. The HP and a number (in my case 7) should be there as well. Other letters/numbers may apply, but the most important thing is to see that the logo is there, and that it says PARIS, NOT RARIS. They sneak those "Rs" onto the fakes.

MIDDLE

At the back bottom part of the bottle should be the lot number. This should be engraved into the glass coating of the bottle's lip and shouldn't really be any other color than the matte black, although if there's some dust or debris in those little numbers and letters, I wouldn't worry about it. If this lot number is present, it's a good thing. If it's not, it's a bad thing.

BOTTOM

So let's now look at the Green Irish Tweed box. The new version of the box is pretty spiffy. It should have the Welsh Crest and Creed insignia embossed all over it. 1760 should be just above the label. The main Welsh crest and the framing of the label should both be matching gold. I've seen plenty of GIT boxes pictured by discount online retailers that have a white frame around the front label. That's wrong. I've also seen the Welsh crest in white. Also wrong. There should be an abundance of gold going on here. The framing of the label has a braille-like pattern on it. Looking at the label itself: the green should be a nice mossy green - I've got to say that the mossy green very cleverly matches the color of real moss. If it's a dark forest green, it's wrong - if it's an olive green, it's wrong. This part is actually a fuzzy felt. Creed's insignia, date, the words GREEN IRISH TWEED (NOT Green Frich Tweed), and the Paris address should be impressed into the felt in gold. On the bottom part of the box: Again we see Creed, and a rather dainty version of the word MILLESIME (with an appropriate accent mark) and those two lines of French text beneath. Metric and Imperial measuring units are marked on either bottom corner that state the weight of the fluid within.

proxy.php
:
proxy.php
:
proxy.php

I've read online that a way to spot a fake Creed is by how flimsy the box is. This is misleading - real Creed boxes are basically just as flimsy. What separates them from the fakes is the rigid cardboard box-lining, which I've taken out and placed next to the exterior box. This part fills up the real GIT box and keeps it rigid. It should be totally un-foldable, as it's not entirely connected at the seams.

MIDDLE

So this is the back of the GIT box. It matches pretty much all the Millesime boxes. But notice how the word MILLESIME does not have an accent mark like its counterpart on the front of the box. Intentional Creed curveball to throw off counterfeiters. If you see an accent mark here, question it and examine the rest of the box thoroughly. It might be a typo, an intentional variation, or fake.

BOTTOM

Here's a closeup of the text on the back. You can match your box to this accordingly. Make sure the spelling and accent marks are all there. This should match perfectly. Ignore those on basenotes who claim that a few typos here and there are nothing to worry about - if you see more than one, you should worry. Sometimes large production lines slip up and miss a letter, but usually never more than once, and even then only rarely. If you're seeing two or three inconsistencies in the text on your box, you have a fake box.

proxy.php
:
proxy.php
:
proxy.php

The top of the box should have three fonts on it - the Creed insignia, the de pere en fils line in script, and the famous sans-serif List of Royals. Really a ***** to do, but it's important if you're in doubt to check the list against your box. If someone is missing, someone is added, someone's name is misspelled, or your name is there, you have a fake.

MIDDLE

Pop the lid open, and the first thing you should see is that silly little card that comes with all Creeds. If you buy from Creed boutique directly then of course the card is there, the card is real, and this point is moot. But any other online retailer may or may not include the card. An absent card is preferable to a card that is on flimsy paper, printed in blurry ink, or without gold. If they went to the trouble to stick a crappy counterfeit card in there, imagine how much work they put into counterfeiting the rest of the product. The real card should be on solid stock, have a bend at its bottom so you can stand it up on your desk, and should have James Henry and Olivier's portraits very clearly printed and gold-framed on them. The de pere line is clearly printed on there as well.

BOTTOM

Just under the card is the literature. This is on stiff, grained paper, unfolds to a considerable size, and is in several languages. I can't say if all the Green Irish Tweeds come with the same literature - Creed may or may not change up the languages they print on it depending on where the product is stocked. However, if your literature is in all Arabic, this is cause for worry. Another myth circulating on basenotes is that Creed's middle eastern distributors carry literature written only in Arabic. This is false - there should be at least English and French written on it - if Arabic accompanies these two languages, then I wouldn't worry. If it's going to take a college course in Asian languages to read the literature, you've got a fake.

proxy.php
:
proxy.php
:
proxy.php

It's a ***** to do, but if you're a stickler for detail, you'll have to match up the text on the inside of your box to this photo of mine. Check out Google Translate for the French translation, but the first line should read that the Creed Millesimes are made only with the finest essences and rarest infusions, etc. Olivier's signature should be printed beneath this statement, and the address should again be in script below.

MIDDLE

The bottom of the Creed Green Irish Tweed box is the part that looks most fake, even though it's not - the technical specs are unsightly and wisely relegated to the part you never see. One mistake basenoters make is in thinking that the sticker should only read INGREDIENTS and not CONTAINS - the authentic sticker has both. Unless you buy directly from the Creed boutique, the barcode sticker may not be located here. If it bothers you, look for the barcode as it's probably stuck somewhere else, or nowhere at all. Barring some foreign release, 99% of real Green Irish Tweed boxes have Arabic printed on only one place: the bottom of the box.

BOTTOM

Last but not least, a little extra detail regarding that rigid inner cardboard sleeve of the box - there should be a cut on its top for the cap to fit through. When you open the box and remove the card and literature, the cap should be peeking through that to greet you.

In Conclusion

The new version of Green Irish Tweed has nothing printed on the sides of the box, but older versions may have places for lot numbers and other various words here and there. If your box matches mine to the letter, but the sides have all kinds of weird things and Arabic writing all over them, double check the French and the bottle for authenticity. Also, regarding the Creed insignia and text printed on the bottle - I had a hell of a time getting a readable shot of the de pere en fils line and size labeling on my actual bottle - Green Irish Tweed and the rest of the text is written in a matte text that is only about two shades darker than the rest of the bottle. Here's what I suggest: run your thumb over the text and feel if it's slightly raised off the bottle. If it is, that's good. The real thing has the text printed at a slight emboss on the glass. Also, the CREED insignia is raised, and painted a darker, glossier black than the matte backing.

I hope this thread helps. I've grown tired of the misinformation about faked Green Irish Tweeds - it's a classic, it deserves to be documented in its real form as opposed to its fake alter-ego. My wish is that by posting these photos, you'll never have to wonder what a real Green Irish Tweed looks like again.

Last edited:
Thanks, it seems as though you put a ton of time into that for the benefit of the community. We owe you a round of drink of your choosing.:thumbup1:

Non of the perfumeries around where I live has even heard of GIT .... so I can't even find out what it smells like :-S Having read much about it and now seeing such an great post - I'm just starting to wonder how I can get my paws on a sampler.

Next trip at an airport I'd say.

/m

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This black bottle is only for the 4 oz version, the 2.5 oz. (as well as the 1 oz and the 8 oz flacon) are clear glass!!

Wow. What a great rundown. That must've taken you a LONG time to put together. Thanks so much -- now we can all benefit from your knowledge! :thumbup1:

This black bottle is only for the 4 oz version, the 2.5 oz. (as well as the 1 oz and the 8 oz flacon) are clear glass!!

Yes you're right - it's funny, I've heard of people getting dark black 2.5 oz bottles and thinking they're the real deal. No such luck. I actually think that size clear bottle is quite nice looking.

Outstanding post! We need to put this in a permanent location for reference. I'm anxious to get home and look at the one bottle I have and compare. I'm a little anxious - is mine going to pass the test? I love the BdP that's in my bottle, and am hopeful that it's okay. I bought it from a local perfume store, so I'm pretty sure it's the real stuff.

Thanks for the great post! :thumbup1:

Outstanding post! We need to put this in a permanent location for reference. I'm anxious to get home and look at the one bottle I have and compare. I'm a little anxious - is mine going to pass the test? I love the BdP that's in my bottle, and am hopeful that it's okay. I bought it from a local perfume store, so I'm pretty sure it's the real stuff.

Thanks for the great post! :thumbup1:

You're welcome!

Just remember that my purchase from the Creed boutique yielded the most up-to-date bottle and box. All the print and materials should match your bottle, but some minor details may be different depending on when you got your Creed.

This is a great guide, Featherweight. Thank you for the time and energy you put into making this post. I used it last night to verify my purchase was indeed authentic.

And just for the sake of discussion and sorry if I'm just a tad off topic, why Creed and not other perfumes? I just don't hear about Guerlain or Chanel fakes, only Creed. What gives?

And just for the sake of discussion and sorry if I'm just a tad off topic, why Creed and not other perfumes? I just don't hear about Guerlain or Chanel fakes, only Creed. What gives?

It's a valid point. Guerlain and Chanel suffer from counterfeiting immensely. Fortunately, they're not nearly as expensive as Creed, so there's much less need to buy at shifty discounters and risk getting fakes. The truth is that Guerlain suffers greatly from counterfeit "vintage" bottles on ebay - my philosophy differs on this from other people's, but I feel that it's best to leave the whole world of "vintage perfume" behind and simply move forward. Anything that is literally older than 15 years and still sitting in the same bottle since possibly 1920 can't in any conceivable way smell the same as it once did, nor should it. To consider that it would smell "good" or "beautiful" is to say that an uncleaned Da Vinci painting would still be as gorgeous today as it was hundreds of years ago. Current Guerlains and Chanels may or may not thrill aficionados, but to me it's not worth splurging on questionable items offline. Going to the counter at Saks and coughing up $100 for a new one pretty much covers it.

Top Bottom