What's new

Why are second shaves from a blade better?

As I try out different blades I sometimes notice that the second shave is smoother than the first-the blade then seems to plateau out until it starts to pull. Why? Would palm stopping make the first shave better? I really noticed this with Bolzano. After the first they are terrific and stay sharp but the first shave is a bit rough and irritating.

I know you aren't talking about straight razors. But, I have thought the same true with straights also. Possibly, the edges are sharp after honing, but still jagged. However, I don't believe this is usually the case. And, I especially don't believe it to be true for commercially made blades.

Even though there is disagreement, and I was part of one rather animated discussion a year ago on SRP, I believe that the best shaves are not on the sharpest edges. At least for me. For me, at least, the best shaves are when the blade is still quite sharp, but smoother on the very cutting edge also, and slides along on top of the skin before cutting whiskers, instead of slicing off the top layer or two of skin before cutting whiskers.

A conjecture...

I agree with Larry. For me smooth is better than harsh and sharp.

Having said that I usually can't say the second shave is better. For me blades are good till they feel rough and harsh and uncomfortable.
I have gotten 9 shaves from a Gillete Silver Blue and 1 from a Derby.

I tried hand stropping, corking, etc. All I managed to do was dull the blade.

K40

I've noticed the same thing.
I think it might be redistribution of the various coatings or maybe filling in microscopic edge imperfections with the shaving cream or skin debris.
Either way, for me, I really notice a huge improvement with the 2nd shave.

"Why are second shaves from a blade better?"
Because things always go smoother after you have built some rapport.

I guess hand stropping before the first shave could help, but I felt like I may be doing just as much harm as good when I tried this.

Coincidentally, I just saw a "How It's Made" show where they showed the process of making DE blades. After sharpening, the next step is to buff off any roughness of the edges. So, if there is roughness to buff off, perhaps the process doesn't always get the last little bit. Could be a judgment call on their part as a trade-off between smoothness and sharpness. If so, the first shave could finish the job.

IP's/Red Personnas to me get better "after" the first shave. other blades..mehhhh hit or miss. i guess the coating gets smoothed out or something i dont know.

Have used a few Feathers, an few 7 O'Clock Yellows, a few Derbys, and a lot of Iridiums. Each and every one feel better after the first shave. Started a Red Personna this morning; fully expect it to feel better tomorrow morning. Personal opinion is that the first shave buffs the edge.

I've experienced the same thing. it makes it difficult to test out each razor blade for comparrison because you have to compare several days of experiences to each other. Feathers are the only ones I have discovered, for me, that aren't a little rough on the first day. they're good out of the wrapper.

Well I believe that this will vary from blade to blade, however I have found that the first shave with a fresh blade clearly has the greatest potential for harshness. In theory, it is because of the mass production of blades which doesn't allow for much in the way of hand finishing and smoothing the burrs on extremely fine edges. The same can be said of a brand new knife with a so-called razor sharp edge. After you have cut with it for awhile, and it requires sharpening, you may find that the restored edge is smoother and will be better retained than when it was new from the factory.

I tried hand stropping, corking, etc. All I managed to do was dull the blade.[K40

This has been and probably will always be a debated subject here on B&B - all in good spirits - but, I fall on the side that does cork and palm strop. Done correctly, your blade should not be dulled by corking or stropping. However, it could also be a placebo effect to those of us who continue the practice. I generally get two weeks at a minimum out of a blade and because I cork every fresh blade before the first use, I get smooth shaves from the beginning.

As usual YMMV.

... Done correctly, your blade should not be dulled by corking or stropping.

I think "done correctly" part is where I fell short. I don't really know how to properly cork or strop a blade. When I search for a method I get a lot of opinions which just confused me more. I could write a book on how NOT to do it right.:001_smile

I would love it if you could share your method :thumbup:

Thanks

K40

And could it be that our expectations for the first shave are just a little bit higher? So any imperfection gets more notice?

I haven't yet noticed this myself, but I'll probably be aware with my next blade.

I think "done correctly" part is where I fell short. I don't really know how to properly cork or strop a blade. When I search for a method I get a lot of opinions which just confused me more. I could write a book on how NOT to do it right.:001_smile

I would love it if you could share your method :thumbup:

Thanks

K40

Think "No Pressure" just as it is drilled into us all when we come to B&B as newbies. You aren't supposed to be slicing the cork, just drawing the blade toward you and letting the very edge slide through. If you imagine that you are smoothing a burr on that edge it may help you to visualize and to NOT try to push the blade into the cork. Your motion should be very smooth and steady, but not firm ... nor too light as that may cause skipping and actually do damage to the edge.
Have I helped, or mucked things up even more?

I do palm strop my DE blades. That's a trick I learned from someone on here when I had what I thought was an allergic reaction to the coating on Derby blades. If I don't do it, I notice the first shave is inferior to the next couple.

Think "No Pressure" just as it is drilled into us all when we come to B&B as newbies. You aren't supposed to be slicing the cork, just drawing the blade toward you and letting the very edge slide through. If you imagine that you are smoothing a burr on that edge it may help you to visualize and to NOT try to push the blade into the cork. Your motion should be very smooth and steady, but not firm ... nor too light as that may cause skipping and actually do damage to the edge.
Have I helped, or mucked things up even more?

Thank you. That helped. I was hacking away at the cork. I tried your method on a Derby and it helped. I have always had trouble with Derby blade being harsh. I am going to try it on a Feather next.

K40

Top Bottom