What's new

Wooden bowl turning my soap puck brown

I have a feeling that this topic has been covered before, but I cannot find the thread(s) to cover, so here goes again...

I have a Sabi wooden bowl that came with my TOBS sandalwood soap puck. I load my brush from that wooden bowl, which means both the bowl and the soap get wet. Although I do drain the bowl after use, some water / moisture stays behind, and the soap is leeching color from the bowl. I shaved off the discolored soap, but I would like a more permanent solution.

I have started to sand down the interior of the bowl, thinking that the stain or color is "skin deep" and I can sand off a thin layer and solve this issue. Is that going to work?

Any other advice deeply appreciated!

the stain is only skin deep however the wood (exotic i assume) has a colour of its own aswell. this can also stain your soap. I would look at applying a coat of varathane. or the other option is there is a clear coat with aluminumoxide in it. its what they use on hardwood floors. it adds strength and some moisture resistance.
This advise is coming from a journeyman carpenter not a great shaver (i'm still a n00b) perhaps others have better advise

I have no issue with the color of the wood, but this looks like it's just cheap stain coming out - I'll keep sanding gently if I have to, but only if that will really remove the layer of stain. My hopes? High, of course...

I'm having the same issue. I honestly don't care that my soap is a different color, but should I apply some sort of coating anyway?

Top Bottom