What's new

Using Alcohol When Cleaning Razors . . .

Question: When I clean my razors (weekly), I use hot water and oxy-dish liquid (scrubbing the razors with a toothbrush), a warm water rinse and then a dip in alcohol. Because of the size of the razor pieces and the diameter of the glass I use to dip them, I probably go through 1-2 oz of alcohol for the dipping, which then gets tossed down the sink. Since they are already clean when I dip them in alcohol, can i reuse the alcohol instead of dumping it (i.e, use a lidded jar instead of a glass for the dipping)? If so, how long will the alcohol remain effective? Alcohol isn't all that expensive, but I've never been one to waste things and I might as well get as much use out of it as I can so I can spend resources on nice creams and such. Thoughts?

Having not done this i can't say exactly, but it would seem to me to be like when people use jewelery wash to clean rings, necklaces etc, and in that case they would use the same liquid for long periods of time. So i would say it's fine to reuse the alcohol.

I keep a little tupperware with it in the den for this purpose. It's probably good until it gets cloudy/dirty. I don't think the alcohol will 'go bad' ever.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I use a fancy wide mouth condiment jar that contained Italian pesto and change out the alcohol when it gets a little murky. I shake most of the water off the razor after rinsing it, so not much goes into the alcohol jar to dilute it.

Any water on the razor will be displaced into the jar, and the razor will come out with some alcohol it. Eventually you're going to have more water than alcohol in there, that's when you need to change it out.

I bought a little spray bottle at the dollar store. I find that I can give the razors a good spray down without using much alcohol. This also just seems easier and quicker to me.

(looks a lot like these)
proxy.php

I bought a little spray bottle at the dollar store. I find that I can give the razors a good spray down without using much alcohol. This also just seems easier and quicker to me.

(looks a lot like these)
proxy.php

Same thing here. I bought some from target in the mini travel size. I got some with alcohol, witch hazel, baby oil, & after shave.

I use a cotton pad and actually rub each surface down then reassemble. Dipping is perfectly fine, but why are you dipping it? If it is to disinfect then only use it one. If it is to absorb the water into a miscible solvent to help it dry quickly then keep it until it no longer evaporates quickly. Honestly, I buy the industrial sized container so I'm ok with losing a bit from time to time...especially when you consider the cost of some of these pieces.

I don't bother with alcohol. It simply does not sterilize things, although it is better than nothing. I figure that the cleaning routine that I use scrubs away anything that alcohol affects.

Any sort of disinfectant or sanitizer is compromised once it has been applied. You don't get as clean if the rest of the family used that tub of bath water before you do.

I don't bother with alcohol. It simply does not sterilize things, although it is better than nothing. I figure that the cleaning routine that I use scrubs away anything that alcohol affects.

Any sort of disinfectant or sanitizer is compromised once it has been applied. You don't get as clean if the rest of the family used that tub of bath water before you do.

That's why I asked if it was used as a disinfectant or a cleaning agent. Alcohol baths will kill some bacteria, but they are a common bathing ground for bacteria that are not getting killed. It's the same concept as applying alcohol to your finger rather than sticking your finger in the alcohol bottle. That said, it still has its place in the cleaning (of water spots, soap etc.) realm. Even for that I still choose the cotton applicator route.

You could probably keep your alcohol around for quite awhile replacing it if you notice it accumulating particles or getting discolored although I've never seen alcohol go bad.

Since you are cleaning your own razors, this is more about cleaning than it is about germs. I would just toss the alcohol out after using it. Any liquid you use to clean a razor with is going to get dirty. If you are cleaning for appearance, you may get good results by using a bit of alcohol on a swab or cloth.

Top Bottom