What's new

WTG only shave question

Sometimes when I am running late (often) I will do a quick WTG pass only shave while in the shower with a cart and goo. By 5:00 my shave looks like crap. Has anyone ever done a WTG only save with a DE and cart and how do they compare.

Every time I set out to try this in the morning with a DE I always decide to do more passes mid shave:tongue_sm. Just curious what you guys have found, going to try it and see what happens tomorrow. Most likely I am going to do a 2 pass WTG.

Honestly, I haven't shaved with a cartridge in a long time, but if I recall correctly, I can get a better one pass shave with a cartridge. However, I'm so addicted to straights, I'd rather go one pass WTG with a straight than a cartridge any day. Even if it is a little scruffier.

Due to heavy beard/sensitive neck I do 2 pass WTG shaves, I get good shaves to look at but not BBS. I suppose its really all about your needs, wants and expectations. DE however, lets me shave much closer without the ingrown and irritation issues that I had with carts.

Sometimes when I am running late (often) I will do a quick WTG pass only shave while in the shower with a cart and goo. By 5:00 my shave looks like crap. Has anyone ever done a WTG only save with a DE and cart and how do they compare.

Every time I set out to try this in the morning with a DE I always decide to do more passes mid shave:tongue_sm. Just curious what you guys have found, going to try it and see what happens tomorrow. Most likely I am going to do a 2 pass WTG.

If I'm in a hurry but need a passable shave I can get away with a two pass (Both WTG) DE shave. Allows me to be fast with minimal risk. I don't do this very often though. I have to be in an extreme hurry as I do a full normal 3 pass shave in <5 minutes normally.

When I am in a rush I do a two pass XTG shave with a DE. However, now that I am retired I am rarely in a hurry! :001_rolle

I don't own any carts. When in a hurry, I do a two pass shave with a DE. Of course the shave doesn't last as long as a non hurried shave, but gets me in the ballpark.

I tried it, a WTG only shave with a de is definitely closer that with a cart, I get very acceptable results when stretching my skin but even without stretching it is closer for sure.

I tried it, a WTG only shave with a de is definitely closer that with a cart, I get very acceptable results when stretching my skin but even without stretching it is closer for sure.

That's unlikely to be the case with most people. It's certainly not with me. Most guys I see have fairly decent shaves and I assume most are doing only one pass with carts.

Re your question, one pass of WTG blade buffing would probably be as good as it gets with WTG. And fast. You could also consider a one-pass XTG blade buff.

Steve

I Have not done carts in a year or two now I think if I did just 1 pass with say a quattro and 1 pass with the de wtg I think the cart may win. but I'm sure it's a YMMV thing.

I do know I get a better, closer and much more comfortable shave with my DE's it takes longer but I enjoy it !! :)

Last edited:
Have done carts in a year or two now I think if I did just 1 pass with say a quattro and 1 pass with the de wtg I think the cart may win. but I'm sure it's a YMMV thing.

Let me clarify because I agree 100%. I made a 2 pass shave, with just one quick pass with a fusion Vs one pass with a DE the fusion would be closer I think. I got closer in the end just going WTG because I can get a little aggressive with the angle where in a cart you can not and going with just WTG. I get no irritation getting just a little steep on a WTG shave and a decent close shave.

I think the cart will "feel" closer right after the shave, but in my experience will leave shadow later in the day. I attribute it to the "lift and cut" action of carts. When I do a single wtg with my de (rarely, but I have been pressed for time), it doesn't FEEL as smooth, but my face LOOKS smoother until later in the day. No idea why, but it is my experience...

Before I was born-again into the DE world, I used a Gillette Pro-Fusion. Using that tool I would perform a WTG and an XTG and got a great shave. When really pressed for time these days I'll get by with the same WTG / XTG and have a serviceable shave.

Top Bottom