What's new

Great Margarita

I am looking to make a great classical
Margarita (summer is approaching). I plan on using only limes, X
Cointreau and Tequila. What tequila should I use? Recommendations and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

In my limited experience I found that I now prefer a nice 100% agave anejo.
I started out with the silver but the anejo is so much smoother and you don't need many ingredients. The last one I tried making was pretty good.
2 shots tequila
1/2 shot FRESH lime juice
1/2 shot Grand Marnier
1/2 limocello
simple syrup to taste if you like it sweet.

It was good and strong but tequila, lime, and grand marnier will make a good one as well. Just don't use a mix.

(7 parts) 100% Blue Agave Anejo Tequila
(4 parts) Grand Marnier
(3 parts) Key Lime Juice

Thanks,
Mike

I like El Jimador blanco for for margaritas. It's relatively inexpensive, 100% agave and has a nice crisp, citrusy, clean flavor.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I love :001_tt1: Margaritas..clasiic or otherwise with salt on the rim of the glass. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Drinking is a way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:
these are outstanding.. borrowed from Rick Bayless
http://www.fronterakitchens.com/cooking/recipes/margarita.html

1 cup tequila, preferably a young silver or reposado 100% agave tequila–look for widely distributed ones like El Tesoro, Cuervo Tradicional, and Herradura, or search out the distinctive small production tequilas like Chamucos or Suave Patria

1/2 cup Cointreau or other orange liqueur

1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus a little extra for moistening the rim of the glasses

A little sugar if necessary

About 1/3 cup coarse (Kosher) salt for crusting the rim of the glasses

About 3 cups medium ice cubes

In a small pitcher, combine the tequila, orange liqueur and lime. Taste and decide if you think the mixture needs to be a little sweeter or a little tangier (keep in mind that it will taste a little tangier once it’s been shaken). Add a bit more lime or a touch of sugar, if necessary.

Spread out the salt onto a small plate. Moisten the rim of four 6-ounce martini glasses with a little lime juice (if you have a cut lime, even an already-squeezed one, moisten the rims by running it around them). One by one, turn the glasses over and dip them lightly in the salt, creating a thin, even crust all around the rim.

Pour half of the margarita mixture into a cocktail shaker, add half of the ice cubes. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds (this is important to achieve the perfect strength–some of the ice needs to melt into the margarita–and the right degree of frostiness). Strain into the prepared glasses, then repeat with the remaining margarita mixture. Relax and enjoy.

The Margarita is one of my favorite cocktails. I prefer to use silver or blanco 100% agave tequila, but repossado is OK, too. 1800 Tequila is a good choice.

The classic recipe is 3-2-1. Three parts tequila, two parts orange liqueur and one part fresh lime juice. Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake for 10-15 seconds. Pour into appropriate glass and serve with a lime slice for garnish. I don't care for salt rimmed glasses, but this is one of those YMMV issues, so do it however you like.

Hint - if you prefer your drink to be a little sweeter, use agave nectar in place of sugar. It better complements the flavor of the tequila.

I prefer a repasado; Herradura is great, Hornito's is a great bang for the buck. Also, Cintronge' (made by Patron) is a good alternative to Cointreau; some don't like it, but I do.

For me, a good reposado (too many to list) is the best tequila to use in a margarita. I think of fine anejo like a single malt scotch -- best for sipping.

+1 on Patrón citrónge as a substitute for the Cointreau/Grand Marnier. It's tasty. :001_smile

Best Margarita I ever had out at a bar was made with Milagro Tequila, Lime Juice and Agave Nectar. I use Jimador at home, and triple sec with lime or key lime juice. I do keep some agave nectar in the house as a sweetner for margaritas though

Best Margarita I ever had out at a bar was made with Milagro Tequila, Lime Juice and Agave Nectar. I use Jimador at home, and triple sec with lime or key lime juice. I do keep some agave nectar in the house as a sweetner for margaritas though

That's the recipe at Tequila.net:

PURO MARGARITA
With only 3 main ingredients, this all natural margarita is so simple to create, and once you've perfected this cocktail it will be hard to return to any pre-mixed product.

Preparation
Ingredients: Tequila 100% Agave, Agave Nectar, Limes, Ice, Salt (optional)
Recommended Tools: Lime squeezer, cocktail shaker

1.5oz Tequila
2 tsp. Agave Nectar
2oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice

Mix contents, swirl or stir to dissolve Agave nectar, add enough ice to fill your preferred margarita glass, shake and serve. Garnish with lime wheel or wedge, salt glass rim (optional).

I think Lunazul is the best bang for the buck. Inexpensive, yet 100% Agave and great taste.

^^^This! I have tried making margaritas using everything from Cuervo to Patron and Lunazol has been the best so far. I use a personally modified Rick Bayless recipe.

Making margaritas tonight for Cinco de Mayo. Got some 1800 clear tequila and got a free mix pack that came with it at the ABC store. It doesn't have any HFCS.

Making margaritas tonight for Cinco de Mayo. Got some 1800 clear tequila and got a free mix pack that came with it at the ABC store. It doesn't have any HFCS.

Noooooooo! Eschew to mix. Please use triple sec (or other orange liqueur) and fresh squeezed lime juice. You and your tequila will thank me for this.

Top Bottom