What's new

DE89L/Muhle users: Does anyone prefer the lighter Muhle handle?

For those of you who own or have tried both, do any of you prefer the lighter Muhle handle?

I ask because my DE89L has fallen way down the order in my rotation. It gives a very good shave, yes, but I'm realizing that the balance and weight of the handle may be too solid and weighty for my taste. To be honest, the handling of the razor feels a bit ponderous to me. Does the Muhle version of this razor feel faster or more maneuverable?

Currently my favorites are the LC New (with Old-type ball end handle), Slim, Aristocrat, and Red Tip. Does the Muhle feel closer to any of these?

Thanks!

For those of you who own or have tried both, do any of you prefer the lighter Muhle handle?

I ask because my DE89L has fallen way down the order in my rotation. It gives a very good shave, yes, but I'm realizing that the balance and weight of the handle may be too solid and weighty for my taste. To be honest, the handling of the razor feels a bit ponderous to me. Does the Muhle version of this razor feel faster or more maneuverable?

Currently my favorites are the LC New (with Old-type ball end handle), Slim, Aristocrat, and Red Tip. Does the Muhle feel closer to any of these?

Thanks!

Only my opinion, but I prefer the heavier handle, and so prefer the EJ over the Muhle. I don't notice any difference in manoeuvreability although I prefer the feel and texture of the Muhle. It's give and take here, so I just use both!

I prefer the Muhle handles that I got rid of all my EJ razors.

The Muhle handles felt just a bit better for me as in lighter etc.

Of course it is just a personal preference.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Oddly, when I first opened the box for my 89L last year, I thought it was too light! It's still my daily shaver, and I wouldn't mind if it were heavier. It's funny how far the pendulum swings from person to person.

I prefer the Muhle handles that I got rid of all my EJ razors.

The Muhle handles felt just a bit better for me as in lighter etc.

Of course it is just a personal preference.

YMMV.

do you know if the Ivory/Black handled Muhles are also lighter then then EJ Ivory/Black handled versions (rounded handles, not the new octagonal)?

I posted about this in another thread. I thought it was strange that the lighter Muhle is giving me a "better" shave and I think it purely due to it being more maneuverable than the slightly heavier EJ.

I still have both in rotation as the EJ gets more use with non-Feather blades whereas the Muhle + Feathers = BBS Heaven!

There isn't a big difference to me. The EJ is just a tad heavier with the balance more toward the head. I don't notice any difference in handling or feel while shaving.

do you know if the Ivory/Black handled Muhles are also lighter then then EJ Ivory/Black handled versions (rounded handles, not the new octagonal)?

I felt the Muhle was a wee bit lighter in the handle.

This in turn made the razor just perfectly balanced.

By the way, ordered the new ivory colored Muhle from SHAVIN.IE.

Can't wait to get it.:w00t:

I have the Muhle R89. My understanding is the Muhle R89 and the EJ89 have the exact same head - the only difference is the handle. I purchased the Muhle because I wanted a textured handle with better grip when wet.

I really like the Muhle R89. It has passed my Merkur Progress as my favorite razor.

I use my R89's handle on my OC Merkur and its handle on the Muhle. The super short, light-weight handle on the Muhle makes me cowboy a bit less and focus on technique. That Merkur OC though just loves the longer, slightly heavier handle. They now both (make me) shave markedly better.

Bob can make you a handle with the proper threads for your EJ if you'd like to give it a go. If it doesn't work for you, you'd have no problem flipping it on the BST.

I have an EJ DE86 and a Muhle R89 at my disposal and I much prefer the handle on the R89. Being lighter it feels better balanced.

Top Bottom