What's new

Face Lather Help

Hey fellas- new to the board and DE shaving. So far, I prefer to face lather. I have 2 brushes, omega 48 and sem 1503. I have been looking at some of the pics you guys post and you guys have more lather than I have ever had. I cant quite get to that stage yet. What am I doing wrong? I have cella, conk, QCS, and Omega. I have read the links but still cant get there. Appreciate any help.

Steve

Thanks for the pic- that helps. I dont think i am putting enough product on the brush. How long do you swirl the brush on the soap, 30 seconds or so?

My probelm when I started was not loading the brush long enough. Load for at least 30 seconds. Up to 1 minute if the soap requires.

What I've ended up doing to really get good lather is:
1) Start with a damp brush
2) Load the brush really good
3) "Paint" a layer of soap on my face
4) Reload the brush (maybe dipping it a bit in water)
5) Start building the lather on my face

I usually end up with enough for 4 passes.

1. Wet brush and squeeze some water into your soap bowl.

proxy.php

2. Flick excess water from from brush.
3. Whip brush around soap bowl a dozen times or so.

proxy.php

4. Wet face and lather up in a circular motion--a slight dip in water is sometimes needed.

proxy.php

Note: I palm lathered to show how much lather would be produced and left it on the brush. Normally, this would be used on your face.

proxy.php

If you're using a soap stick, just wet the brush, squeeze out some water, whip the brush around the tip of the stick, wet face and lather up.

If you're using cream, just do the same as above. From a tube, squeeze some cream into your palm, wet brush and squeeze, whip around your hand until the brush soaks it up.
I used a Edwin Jagger best badger brush.

Last edited:
Good advice already given. One comment, however. You do not need more than just enough lather to cover your beard. A huge pile of lather does not guarantee a good shave. Quality rather than quantity should be your goal.

Top Bottom