What's new

Rolex Explorer

I'm a huge fan of vintage watches and have several Omega Seamasters from the 1960's that I wear on special occasions. I've been looking for an everyday watch for several months and thought I wanted another Omega but the only watches that I really like are the Aqua Terra XXL (pic 1) and Railmaster (pic 2) but they are too large at 49mm.

I was hesitant to look at Rolex, not sure why other than I'm not a fan of the cyclops over the date, until I stumbled upon the Rolex Explorer (pic 3 & 4). It has the great vintage look that I like and at 39mm, its small enough to fit under a dress shirt and could easily be worn with jeans. While I like the metal bracelet, it think it would also look great with a croc strap.

Anyone have an explorer and what are your thoughts about it?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I owned an Explorer I when they were 36mm. Last year they moved to a larger case to appeal to modern men. I regret selling my 36mm. It was both casual and dressy. Additionally, they don't have a date function which I find very appealing. I am still debating my latest Rolex acquisition. I am leaning toward vintage. Go for it.

I will also add that the Explorer comes with the oyster bracelet. It is one of the most comfortable bracelets available. I won't even know you are wearing it. The case is not clunky and sits well on the wrist. Additionally, you can score one of the older Explorers for around $3K or less.

I will also add that the Explorer comes with the oyster bracelet. It is one of the most comfortable bracelets available. I won't even know you are wearing it. The case is not clunky and sits well on the wrist. Additionally, you can score one of the older Explorers for around $3K or less.

One of my vintage Omega's is 37mm and I do not want to go any smaller than that or larger than 42mm. 39mm may be my sweet spot!!

Do tell??

I have been looking at a modern Milgauss or a vintage Date Just since last year. I keep going back and forth. I have found some really nice examples but have not pulled the trigger. I may have to get them both. :laugh:

I gave my son my Submariner when he married 2 years ago. He called me last week and asked me how much do you think the Rolex is worth? I was mildly disappointed because I thought he was thinking of selling it. I told him between $4K-$5K. I asked why do you ask? He said "I'm insuring it with my renters insurance". I was relieved and told him I thought you were selling it. He said no way this is staying in our family. I said I'm hoping my grandson (they don't have children yet) gets it when he marries.

I have a 36mm Explorer I and 7.25 inch wrists. I wear it with everything except a suit and tie. It's a great watch and wears bigger than its 36mm.

I have a 36mm Explorer I and 7.25 inch wrists. I wear it with everything except a suit and tie. It's a great watch and wears bigger than its 36mm.

That is true. It does wear bigger than 36mm.

I have been very close to buying an Explorer I many, many times. For years I thought that it would be a perfect watch for my wife (which I could borrow as well) but she resisted and I didn't go ahead. I much prefer the older 36mm version and it really does wear larger than that measurement would indicate. It has the same dial size as the Submariner, so it does appear to be somewhat larger.

I know the Tourneau store near me has pre-owned Rolex's, maybe they'll have a pre-owned 36mm and a new 39mm to compare.

I know the Tourneau store near me has pre-owned Rolex's, maybe they'll have a pre-owned 36mm and a new 39mm to compare.

If you can find them both at the same place that would be grand. The $2K -$3K price difference may also influence your decision.

That is pretty comfortable. :tongue_sm

I've had the Explorer II for a few years and while I don't wear it as often as I should, I always seem to get a few compliments.

Top Bottom