What's new

What's Twitter, Need Help

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I and a few others over in the Gary Young LE thread could use a little help with Twitter. So I am starting this thread to get help and a place for us to ask our ignorant questions and not derail the other thread.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I and a few others over in the Gary Young LE thread could use a little help with Twitter. So I am starting this thread to get help and a place for us to ask our ignorant questions and not derail the other thread.

:w00t: So I can derail this one?

I don't use twitter, but maybe this will help. :001_smile

Thank you, Dennis! I am here to be educated! To begin, I know absolutely not much about it. Don't know if it is a computer thing or just a phone thing. Don't know if it costs; saw the "join now" button but didn't push it. Also don't know anything about the security (or lack of) of it. Don't know why I might want to join it. Guess that there is a lot I don't know!!!:lol:

Okay, so, since posting I kinda figured out something. If you have an iPad, there's a Twitter app. Not sure what to do with it, but I did find aesimpson1919. That's a start right?

Ken

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thank you, Dennis! I am here to be educated! To begin, I know absolutely not much about it. Don't know if it is a computer thing or just a phone thing. Don't know if it costs; saw the "join now" button but didn't push it. Also don't know anything about the security (or lack of) of it. Don't know why I might want to join it. Guess that there is a lot I don't know!!!:lol:

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. It just looks like a bunch of cell phone text messages to me, so it would stand to reason that this is purely a cell phone application. I can't see why anyone would send text messages from a computer.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Okay, so, since posting I kinda figured out something. If you have an iPad, there's a Twitter app. Not sure what to do with it, but I did find aesimpson1919. That's a start right.

Ken

I don't have an iPad, but I have a cell phone. I guess if I'm going to do any tweeting it would be while I'm waiting in line somewhere just to kill time. I don't see myself deliberately setting aside time for it like I do with B&B.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
:w00t: So I can derail this one?

I don't use twitter, but maybe this will help. :001_smile

Thanks for the link. I scanned it quickly and saw that it will send me email updates. That's all I need is something else filling up my inbox.

I'll try to explain it as best I can:

It's a service that allows you to post things of interest: what you are doing, pictures, links, thoughts, videos, soundbites, etc. Everything you say has to fit in 140 characters or less.

You can "text" a tweet from your phone easily, there are instructions once you sign up. There aren't really any privacy issues- there isn't any information stored with your account but your email address, password, and whatever information you have in your biography (which needs to be short) and what you tweet about. You can "protect" your tweets, which means people need to ask for permission to view your tweets. Unlike Facebook, it can be one way- you can approve them to be able to read your tweets (called a follow), but you don't have to follow them back.

What do I use Twitter for? I use it for my hobbies. I keep in contact with my favorite writers for tech websites, other people interested in tech, fellow wetshavers (mantic59 is on Twitter and active), it's also a sort of RSS feed as you can follow news orgs which send info about stories all day long. I use Twitter for the things that I'm interested in.

I use Twitter mostly from my iPhone. Smartphones all have apps that allow you a full Twitter experience; you can use it from a desktop/laptop computer with either the website, webapps, or full-fledged programs like Tweetdeck.

If you guys have any other questions, let me know! Or if you decide to join, send me a tweet! www.twitter.com/@le_craig

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks Craig. I'm still not sure I want that much going on all day. Guess I'll have to mull it over a little more.

For me Twitter is like Haiku...I get it, but I don't...:laugh:

"No more than 140 characters including spaces and special symbols"...

Thanks Craig. I'm still not sure I want that much going on all day. Guess I'll have to mull it over a little more.

It definitely can be overstimulating; There are lists that allow you to only read customizable timelines of tweets: one of my B&B/Twitter friends has a wetshaving list, clothing list, news list, etc. Sorta like our very own subforums.

It is the best way to track charliesheen :lol: or more appropriate to B&B to follow Jarrod over at The Superior Shave

Twitter is bit useful and a bit of a time waster. It is most like sending text messages on your phone, in that the messages must be very short. It is opposite of email in that you chose who to follow, and thus whose short messages to receive. The sender just tweets,and all the followers receive it as if it was a short email sent to every follower. But since it was usually sent with no specific person in mind, it is often not relevant to you. It is a good way to get notified about news items or current events, but not useful to communicate with anyone specifically. IMO.

Twitter is good for:

Getting instant info in real-time from vendors, stores, etc - lots of places send out coupons and specials that you can use right away. The mountain we ski at tweets as they open lifts through-out the day, removing uncertainty

Getting unfiltered information directly from the sources without any intermediaries making editorial choices. On one end of the spectrum, for example, we can get road condition reports instantly from people who are actually passing through a given area, versus the DOT website which seems to get updated about once every few hours at best. On the other e nd you have protesters in the Middle East live-tweeting events as they happen.

The other 95% of Twitter is teenagers talking to each other and celebrities promoting their 'brand'.

The beauty of twitter is that you don't have to subscribe or sign up to feeds, you can search for exactly what you want as you want it - no need to have your inbox cluttered with unwanted messages. The downside is that the volume of crap you have to wade through to find the jewels is pretty enormous.

As a Master of Public Health student, Twitter has been invaluable to me. I have been able to connect with other public health organizations and entities. Twitter can work two different ways: One way is to be a pseudo-celebrity and "tweet" stupid, ridiculous things about your personal life. The other reason to use Twitter is use it as a communication tool and connect with others in your field of interest.

I am personally connected with the American Public Health Laboratories, American Public Health Association, Harvard Public Health School and various public health organizations through out the world.

Twitter has its benefits and its uses for narcissists and serious minds alike.

If you get on Twitter, follow me: @KarthVader

For the general end-user, Twitter is just another way to waste your time. For everybody else, it's just another way to relay information instead of picking up up a phone or shooting off an email.

Okay, but here is the question I guess I really care about....

Are there things Mark or Phil or.... post to Twitter (tweet?) that they don't put on B&B?

Like several of the posts here, the last thing I need is yet another digital time consumer:lol:

Ken

...Are there things Mark or Phil or.... post to Twitter (tweet?) that they don't put on B&B?...

My twitter feed can be viewed at http://twitter.com/mantic59 so you can decide for yourself if you want to mess with it. It *can* be a time-waster but it can also be a terrific "networking" resource--I'm often able to get news about things I'm interested in well before it becomes widely known.

--Mark

Last edited:
In all honesty, it sounds like something that was invented, and then they had to go out and drum up "needs" for it. I usually prefer inventions that were developed to meet specific needs, not the other way around.

It may have uses, but the Twitter craze just sounds like crafty salesmanship to me. But then I'm a born skeptic.

In all honesty, it sounds like something that was invented, and then they had to go out and drum up "needs" for it. I usually prefer inventions that were developed to meet specific needs, not the other way around.

It may have uses, but the Twitter craze just sounds like crafty salesmanship to me. But then I'm a born skeptic.

No, it's a pretty cool service actually. YMMV. The trick is following people who interest you, and thus they will post interesting links to articles and such that will show up on your Twitter feed. If you have an iPad, there's a free application called FlipBoard that will automatically take all the links and photos and such from all people you follow and then it will create a nice magazine format of all the stories and pics, and chances are the stuff will highly interest you. Because it's made up of material from all the people you follow. So if you're a NASCAR fan and follow some of the drivers, there will be links to NASCAR stories in your FlipBoard magazine.

Top Bottom