What's new

Loose versus taut skin?

Just wondering, has anyone else had any success by loosening the skin versus following the general rule that one keeps skin tight upon all XTG or ATG passes.

I find that, particularly in trouble spots (i.e., chin, corners of the mouth, etc...), if I deliberately loosen my skin as much as possible - lower my chin to my chest - I am able to apply just a bit of pressure, and have a much more comfortable pass. I understand that there is a genera fear of cutting oneself when the skin is not tight, but I just simply don't feel any risk of that when performing this technique.

Anyone else?

Yes:thumbup1:

I have found that when the skin under my chin is too taut I am prone to razor burn. If I allow the skin to be slightly less taut in that area, I get a closer more comfortable shave.

I seem to have better luck keeping the skin tight, but there does seem to be a better chance of razor burn with this method.I don't get a close shave with loose skin.I think it all depends on your beard, shape of face & razor/blade combination.

I lower my chin into my chest as well on the XTG passes on my neck. On WTG passes I extend my chin out to keep the skin on my neck taught. I also keep the skin taught on my face during all passes. Bull-frogging my neck on XTG passes makes the those passes much more comfortable and gives me a closer shave.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just wondering, has anyone else had any success by loosening the skin versus following the general rule that one keeps skin tight upon all XTG or ATG passes.

I find that, particularly in trouble spots (i.e., chin, corners of the mouth, etc...), if I deliberately loosen my skin as much as possible - lower my chin to my chest - I am able to apply just a bit of pressure, and have a much more comfortable pass. I understand that there is a genera fear of cutting oneself when the skin is not tight, but I just simply don't feel any risk of that when performing this technique.

Anyone else?

when taut, I get ingrowns. I practice blade buffing now (with loose skin)

Odd, I thought nobody else did this!

I tilt my chin down and shave under my jawline when I straight razor shave.

Works for me.

I recently started going away from taut when it came to my neck. I get less razor rash and have yet to cut myself. Kind of a not taut not loose, just in the middle.

Top Bottom