What's new

The Journey

I read through drandall'shttp://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51152 post a few weeks ago, and today I reread it. It kind of led me off onto another tangent.

Many of us on this site, myself included, spent a fair amount of time with carts before we went (or came back) to DE. We got tired of the "chore," the expense, the pain, the redness.....the pure frustration. We wanted something different. It took me about 6 years of cart shaving (probably much shorter than some of you and longer than others) before I found DE. Specifically, it was actually an article written by Corey Greenberg for MSNBC. I'll link it at the end for anyone who is unfamiliar with it. He piqued my interest, led to me to Classic Shaving, and the rest is history, I guess.

Looking back at the journey that my shaving has taken, I sometimes wonder if the journey was required. Did I HAVE to go through the "valley" that was cartridge shaving in order to truly appreciate wet-shaving? I think the answer that I've come to regard as true is, yes. I think if I had started out DE wet-shaving, or even straight, I would have followed the same progression that the shaving market has followed over the last century: ever-increasing "improvements" designed to get me in and out of the bathroom in record time. I would have always been searching for that next thing that could give me a quicker shave, never stopping to truly enjoy the experience that we all engage in on at least a semi-daily basis.

I don't have children of my own, but I think that when I do, I would like to be completely open with them. "This DE razor, or even a straight, are the best, most irritation-free shaves you can get. But they do take a little more time. They strive for an enjoyable experience. Cartridges are out there, and yeah, they will give you a faster, less mind-intensive shave, but they'll burn you in the end, both literally and financially." I'd try to give them all the information, let them make the decision. I feel like if I just tried to press the DE shaving on them, they would get an irritation free shave, true, but I don't think they'd appreciate it.

I guess the whole point of this is to take a little bit of time to reflect on where your own shaving "journey" has taken you. We've (mostly) all been through cartridges. We know their horrors, their pitfalls. But I think the reason we know that is because we have something much better to compare them to.

Here's that link by the way: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/ns/today-today_weekend_edition/

Regards

Last edited:
I know there are a few old-hats around here who have been DE shaving form the begining. I eny them. However I do believe If I had started DE shaving I might have found it a chore and eventually switched to the next best thing. Starting with a cart has led me to wanting somethign better. The sence of nostalgia, history and quality of DE shaving gives it that something extra that makes the added time worthwhile.

Top Bottom