What's new

eBay razor "dealers"

You know, all this recent talk about cedarfurnitureman makes me think of other eBay razor dealers. What about "Glasgowgoodies"? Anyone ever buy anything from him? His razors seem WAY too steep for me but he must sell them to somebody! Think I asked him about a Tuckaway once but he gave me the impression he wouldn't come down on his exhorbitant price much, so I didn't pursue it. Also, there's another guy who has tapped into the box-type lighting of cedarfurnitureman and is making a killing on some very common razors. I forget his handle, though.

I've dealt with glasgowgoodies on a couple items. A lot of the time we dont see eye to eye on a price and cannot come to an agreement but a couple times we did manage to work a deal out.

I've not had him turn down a deal that I thought was fair. He negotiates me up to the high end of fair is all. I'm usually happy with what I get for the price. The one time I felt a bit like I overpaid is offset by the super speed lot I purchased, which contained one gorgeous ranger tech.

I have bought from glasgowgoodies 3 or 4 times. High but not crazy prices. And we were able to negotiate a reasonable price

i bought from both, cedarman replates and sell as original, thats been said before...i bought a d/e and noticed right away and he refunded me, glassgowgoodies sold me a bigboy that was'nt as mint as the pics, so i returned it and he refunded. you have to be careful on ebay its not like shopping here at badger mall.

its not like shopping here at badger mall.

Badger Mall, I like that!

I bought a rolls from Glasgow a month or so ago, it was missing a handle. He said he'd replace it a couple weeks ago, but I still haven't heard anything back form him.

S

surpera1

well - i had a recent experience with glasgowgoodies that i wasnt happy with - i bought a NEW long comb with buy it now at $50 - waited 3 weeks for it - emailed him about it after the 3 week wait - he gave me some spiel about his grandmother or some such - and did refund my money - but you know what ? i just wanted my freaking item - basically he just wasted a bunch of my time and i suspect he lied to me - but anyway - he did refund my money - i did everything i could to not give him negative feedback - but in the end ? i had to give it to him - and then i am perusing the threads here - had to chime in

I'd just like to add the cedarfurnitureman and some other sellers obviously have replates. Unless they are finding boxes of NOS razors, which, given the fact that most of their offerings are stand-alones, is clearly not the case

Yikes!

I always thought it was photo shop. Does the stuff arrive as nice looking as the photos?

I see a gwyn selling replated razors. I wonder where they get the plating done.

No one forces us to buy anything or bid a particular price. As long as you can return something you're dissatisfied with then you get out pretty well. There are some sellers that don't offer any refund at all.

You're still out time and postage though.

I believe feedback is there for a reason and if you're not happy or satisfied you should leave negative. People don't do it often enough when it is warranted. It is an emotional thing. After all it is a business transaction and you have to leave your feelings out of it sometimes. If they have good feedback then they're doing something right. ?

People do have personal problems sometimes. The dog ate your homework is one thing, but someone has to communicae if there is a family issue or unexpected obligation. If it's a one man show, would you drop your sick grandma to go update eBay?

If I got the same line 14 times then I'd wonder.

Everyone has real life throw them a curve now and then though.

I wonder how much they charge to sell on consignment. I saw one eBayer mention it in recent listings. I'm not mailing out my razors to find out.

I can let you know sometime next week. I found a Blue Tip, looked really nice but they had the year wrong. If I'm out the money I can live with it as long it's not a fifty to a hundred dollars. I'm hoping it's half as nice as the eight photos he had up.

What?!

Am I the thread "killer"?

I come back like 4 hours later and nobody else has an opinion?

Sorry....

I don't see the problem with his replating, as long as its stated. Let's face it, the collectability of certain razors is grossly overestimated.

Many people just want something aesthetically pleasing to shave with. As much as we might be appalled at replating a "rare" razor, his sales show that people don't care.

Not everyone is a collector, so they really don't care if the numbers have been repainted. All they want is something that looks good while they are shaving.

i bought from both, cedarman replates and sell as original, thats been said before...i bought a d/e and noticed right away and he refunded me....

I'd just like to add the cedarfurnitureman and some other sellers obviously have replates. Unless they are finding boxes of NOS razors, which, given the fact that most of their offerings are stand-alones, is clearly not the case

So how can you tell that cedarfurnitureman's are replates? I've read other posts that suggest at least some of his stuff is not.

Are they particular things to look for that indicate a replate?

With nickel, sometimes the plating looks thicker than normal or you can see pits under the plating on the head. I'm not sure if you can tell as easily with silver plate--at least I can't.

You need to look deep into the knurling to spot any irregularity. There will be an element of unevenness - or shallower depth compared to a non-replated one.

You are better than I if you can see that - WOW! Sounds like it is pretty hard to tell

It's really not too difficult once you've seen a few. When I first got on B&B I bought a two razors on ebay that were in excellent shape. It was only later that I realized they had been replated. I don't mind replated razors but it's always nice to know beforehand, and I don't think that they should command the same price as a mint unplated one. Too me that's where the dishonesty comes in. If there's a nice razor on ebay that you're not sure about, go ahead and PM the seller before you bid on it and hopefully they will be forthright about the razor's condition.

You know, all this recent talk about cedarfurnitureman makes me think of other eBay razor dealers. What about "Glasgowgoodies"? Anyone ever buy anything from him? His razors seem WAY too steep for me but he must sell them to somebody! Think I asked him about a Tuckaway once but he gave me the impression he wouldn't come down on his exhorbitant price much, so I didn't pursue it. Also, there's another guy who has tapped into the box-type lighting of cedarfurnitureman and is making a killing on some very common razors. I forget his handle, though.

I have bought once from Glasgowgoodies, he has pretty good customer service.. He has a great selection but it is expensive.

I've purchased from both C-manFurn & Glas-good. Glas-Good seem quite high, but he had what I wanted on a buy-it-now deal. C-man, insisted to me they sell on consignment most of the time. Very cordial people. Bought a NOS Lady Eversharp for my wifey, she loves it! Gywn, insisted he sends all his razors out to be replated in rhodium only, he did not mention where. Who would not want a Rhodium-plated FatBoy? I passed because the prices are too high.

Top Bottom