What's new

eBay razor "dealers"

It's really not too difficult once you've seen a few. When I first got on B&B I bought a two razors on ebay that were in excellent shape. It was only later that I realized they had been replated. I don't mind replated razors but it's always nice to know beforehand, and I don't think that they should command the same price as a mint unplated one. Too me that's where the dishonesty comes in. If there's a nice razor on ebay that you're not sure about, go ahead and PM the seller before you bid on it and hopefully they will be forthright about the razor's condition.

+1 The replated razors look nice, and that doesn't mean that somebody isn't interested in buying one, but I think it should be stated.

S

surpera1

they dont say they are replated because it would drive the price down i guess - but it did cost them money to replate them - i dunno - honesty is the best option to me

Very interesting thread. Would you say then the sellers mentioned above are the big three on eBay when it comes to vintage razors? As for replating I'm ok with it as long as it is made clear in the listing. I admire and respect vintage, but I really like restored and shiny. :001_cool:

I think Glasgowgoodies relentlessly mines Ebay under another name and purchases "new, vintage razors" (under another Ebay name) that he resells at a higher price.

Three times I was out bid on a new vintage razor by "glasgow trading post" (this guy only had a few ratings) only to see the goods, same packaging defects and all, being sold at inflated prices by Glasgowgoddies within a few days of the transactions I lost out on.

So I promptly offered what he paid for them on Best offer, all of which he promtly turned down.

I think Glasgowgoodies relentlessly mines Ebay under another name and purchases "new, vintage razors" (under another Ebay name) that he resells at a higher price.

Three times I was out bid on a new vintage razor by "glasgow trading post" (this guy only had a few ratings) only to see the goods, same packaging defects and all, being sold at inflated prices by Glasgowgoddies within a few days of the transactions I lost out on.

So I promptly offered what he paid for them on Best offer, all of which he promtly turned down.

Could be, folks have been known to do that here too. It sounds like a bad thing to do, but if I buy a razor in a flea market and then sell it here for more then I paid for it, isn't that the same thing?

I buy razors from estate sales, flea markets, ebay, etsy, BST, etc, etc. I don't have any particular prejudice against somebody selling a razor other then if they have been dishonest to me in the past (not mentioning or displaying defects for instance, happens here too. I do consider that the person in question might not know what a defect is!). If it's too expensive, I won't buy it.

It's just buying and selling, folks. Lofty idealism ain't in it, but honesty, fair mindedness and knowing the current market rates should be. :001_smile

-jim

I'd consider habitually buying razors on the BST and selling them for a higher price on ebay to be bad form, and know people who have been thrown off B&B for doing it.

I'd consider habitually buying razors on the BST and selling them for a higher price on ebay to be bad form, and know people who have been thrown off B&B for doing it.

I did't mean to imply that l approve of such behavior, just that it exists in all forms.

-jim

gearchow

I agree with what you said.Nothing wrong with profit. I was just miffed that I was outbid on ebay 3 times by the person.

Tell ya, the prices of the ABC sets are getting stupid. CFman has a beautiful gold set that was bid on up to $280 odd dollars.

The bidding on this c. 1934 Aristocrat OC was weird near the end. It bounced up to $505 with just a few minutes to go, then fell back to the low- to mid-$400s, and I think it finished at $495 (if memory serves). I couldn't figure why the rise and then the dip and then the rise again. I wonder if bids on pricy stuff like this are manipulated some how.

Does anyone know offhand how many years these Gold Aristocrat TTO OC models were sold? I think they came out initially for Christmas season of 1934. Were they ever in nickel or silver?

The bidding on this c. 1934 Aristocrat OC was weird near the end. It bounced up to $505 with just a few minutes to go, then fell back to the low- to mid-$400s, and I think it finished at $495 (if memory serves). I couldn't figure why the rise and then the dip and then the rise again. I wonder if bids on pricy stuff like this are manipulated some how.

I was actually looking at the auction when that happened. The bid was at $379 when the person who ended up as the second bidder placed a bid for $505 (or higher), saw that the bidder who ended up winning maxed out at $500, retracted that bid and then turned around and bid $490 to put the winner at $495. Pretty clear-cut case of shill bidding if you ask me.

You couldn't pay me to touch cedarfurnitureman's auctions with a 10-foot pole. I've seen way too many shenanigans like this on his auctions.

Last edited:
I was actually looking at the auction when that happened. The bid was at $379 when the person who ended up as the second bidder placed a bid for $505 (or higher), saw that the bidder who ended up winning maxed out at $500, and then turned around and bid $490 to put the winner at $495. Pretty clear-cut case of shill bidding if you ask me.

You couldn't pay me to touch cedarfurnitureman's auctions with a 10-foot pole. I've seen way too many shenanigans like this on his auctions.

Oof. Worth reporting to ebay IMHO.

I'm not surprised that there would be shilling during his auctions.

No Ebay-zors for me. Now I only buy from a B&Ber or hope I get lucky in an antique shop. As for selling, I've never sold a razor, or anything else, on Ebay. One can waste a lot of time on the 'bay just looking at stuff. I've got better things to do with my time.

I bought my birth year Fatty from C-FURN-MAN when prices were starting to go up. I overpaid a bit for it, but it is in nice, original condition, so I'm okay with the transaction. I don't like the possibility of re-plating being done and not disclosed. That is simply lying, or, overt omission. Either way, it's inherently dishonest.

I noticed an interesting and odd thing with the high bidders for C-manFurn. I looked at 5 of his DE razors that went for more than $237 and 1 bidder was high bidder on 4 of them and came in second on the fifth one. That 1 bidder bought $1590 worth of stuff from him in the last couple of weeks. That seams a little odd to me. After seeing this I do not believe I would be bidding on his auction any more seams fishy.

Top Bottom