What's new

Some Blade Questions

I tried the Derby - fist choice out of the sampler and it was so so. I understand many don't care for them at first so I will move on. Frankly, I am done with this blade after the first shave. I did better with my German Wilks from Wallys whilst waiting on the sampler. Crystal, Astra,IP, or Feather; which one for tomorrow?

This next question will leave no doubt regarding my greenhorn status. What exactly is a Swede? I see lots of references, "like a swede", " second only to a swede". Please pardon my ignorance and point me in the right direction.

I appreciate the posters and all the great advice on this sight

I tried the Derby - fist choice out of the sampler and it was so so. I understand many don't care for them at first so I will move on. Frankly, I am done with this blade after the first shave. I did better with my German Wilks from Wallys whilst waiting on the sampler. Crystal, Astra,IP, or Feather; which one for tomorrow?

This next question will leave no doubt regarding my greenhorn status. What exactly is a Swede? I see lots of references, "like a swede", " second only to a swede". Please pardon my ignorance and point me in the right direction.

I appreciate the posters and all the great advice on this sight

Swedes are Gillette Platinums, true Swedes are no longer available but successor look alikes are out there in small numbers, there's a dark blue pack with white lettering and a while pack with blue lettering.

Glad you are moving on with your blade sampler. Once you are comfortable with a certain brand or two, use them for a while - 2-3 months or more - then go back to some other blades you didn't enjoy. Once your prep, angle and pressure are more refined, you can use that to judge the other blades that didn't work in the past.

Glad you are moving on with your blade sampler. Once you are comfortable with a certain brand or two, use them for a while - 2-3 months or more - then go back to some other blades you didn't enjoy. Once your prep, angle and pressure are more refined, you can use that to judge the other blades that didn't work in the past.

+1 I have to agree with Eric's advice here.

Codfish

I also agree with Eric. I started with a Shark blade and really scratched up my face. I moved on right away and the shaves improved. After about 6 months (and as many razors), I tried another one of the Sharks and got a great shave. Don't write any one blade off at this point in the game. The Derbys and the Sharks are now among my my favored blades.

I first started with a Derby and hated it. I then tried a Shark and liked it more but still not great. Next I tried the Astra and liked it more but again not great. A few others that I did not like at all from my sampler. Then I tried a KAI and loved it. Today I tried an Astra again..... NICE. I think it was mostly my technique and I am getting better. Maybe I will try the Derby again!

If I had done my first DE shave with a Derby, I'd probably have gone back to using an electric shaver. Fortunately, I didn't. My first DE shave was with a Merkur blade in a Merkur HD. It was a good shave, even though it was my first with a DE. My next blade was a Red Personna. That was even better. Then I got all brave and tried a Feather. I was in love, and we're still together to this day. :001_smile

One day, I decided to try out an Astra. I found that I really missed my beloved Feathers. It wasn't awful, just nowhere near as good as the Personnas or the Feathers. I later found it worked a whole lot better in an old Gilette Tech than in the Merkur HD. So I still pop an Astra into a Tech from time to time. It's not bad. Pretty decent shave, really.

I did get some Derby's with my sampler pack as well. I tried one. It was awful. I just don't think they are sharp enough for the kind of beard I have. Maybe they work for some, because of the type of beard they have...but for me, they are simply the opposite of 'comfortable.' I have tried them again (after I had more experience under my belt) and still found them to be my least favorite blade. So I don't really believe it was an issue of experience for me. They're just not the right blade for my face.

I know people go on and on about how sharp the Feathers are - and they are. But don't automatically assume you'll cut your face to shreds with one. You might just have a really tough beard like me (and lots of the other Feather lovers out there). Go gently, take your time, no pressure. You might be another one who just needs a sharp blade...and Derby's just aren't the ones that fit that description.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom