What's new

EJ DE89BA11 Barley Chrome

Here are the weights for the Mühle old R41/R89 handle(24 grams) and the 2011 R41 handle (38 grams).

proxy.php

Weights for the Mühle (24 grams), EJ Lined (44 grams), and Barley (47 grams).

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice Chris! So when I pair my EJ head with the Muhle R41 handle I end up with an R89 copy that weighs 68 grams instead of 54. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't an HD weigh about 68 grams?

after seeing these BARLEY pics, i'm cursing my postman for not delivering mine yet...coming from TESC in the UK, but hopefully soon.

nice pics and thanks for the weights on all the handles

Is the 28 gram weight shown for the 2011 R41 Muhle chrome handle for the regular handle or the new Grande handle?

Is the 28 gram weight shown for the 2011 R41 Muhle chrome handle for the regular handle or the new Grande handle?

The 2011 R41 GRANDE weighs 80 g total according to Muhle's website and the regular version weighs 66 g total. It follows logically that the GRANDE handle should weigh ~42 g.

Last edited:
Interesting data points. The new Muhle Grande handle at 42g still weights less than either the EJ lined (44g) or the EJ Barley (47g).

I was wondering the same thing, I like my EJ89L but I have to be careful, I'm looking to add more grip and a new handle would be the easy fix...

I've used a EJ DE89L and to help with the grip situation I always made sure to rinse the soap off my razor holding hand. I always rinse the razor in a sink filled with hot water so it's easy to also rinse my hand.

Clayton

Thanks to Chris, we have some interesting and informative data regarding the Muhle chrome handles. The pre 2011 R41 chrome handle weighs 24g, presumably the same as the pre R89 chrome handle. The 2011 R41 handle weighs 38g and the 2011 Grande handle weighs 42g. Given the fact that the Grande handle is both longer and has a larger circumference, I would have thought the weight difference between the 2011 R41 regular chrome handle and the 2011 R41 Grande chrome handle would have been greater than 4g. Clearly Muhle is responding to customer comments about the weight of their handles.

The only thing that bothers me is that I can't use my Mühle stand with the Barley. According to B&B the original would fit. Wonderful shaver and looks stunning apart from that.

It's one of the razors I regret letting go, but since I traded straight up for a BRW OC New, I guess I'm ok with it. :001_cool:

Thing is - I got a Weber ARC, and it's pretty much the same feeling as using the 89, only a little smoother and more autopilot, but I still can't bring myself to get rid of the 89.

My first razor, and one that I still love was the EJ DE89 Barley Chrome. Recently I bought a 2010 Muhle R101. That's the 2010 R41 head with the black handle. I like it and I also like its looks. But a few days ago I popped the Barley Chrome handle onto it instead of the black one it came with. Now I love this razor. The plating on the DE89 and the R101 heads is outstanding. They both shine like mirrors. And the new combo of R41 head with DE89 BC handle is perfect. I understand its not as aggressive a razor as the 2011 R41, but not everyone wants the most aggressive razor in the world.

Since Muhle has been changing its OC head in recent years, I wonder what's next on the horizon for them?

I bought my Barley because the handle design looks to me like a (slightly longer) "homage" to Gillette's classic "Old" ball-type razor. I have my Jagger Barley & Gillette Ball-Type sitting side by side in my rack.

Here are the weights for the Mühle old R41/R89 handle(24 grams) and the 2011 R41 handle (38 grams).

proxy.php

Weights for the Mühle (24 grams), EJ Lined (44 grams), and Barley (47 grams).

proxy.php

Hope it's alright that I resurrect this thread. But can anyone tell me how the difference in weight between the Muhle R89 and the EJ Barley affects performance? If any? I was looking at the "Build Quality" thread in this forum and it seemed like Muhle consistently scored above EJ so I figured I would get the R89 but if I need to factor in the weight difference as something important it would be good to know how it might affect my use. (P.S. I know there is a cost difference between the two but right now its about a $10 difference which I don't mind spending on superior quality).

Thank you for the help everyone!

Top Bottom