What's new

EJ DE89BA11 Barley Chrome

Has anyone tried emailing TESC directly about buying just the handle? Seeing as they sell disembodied razor heads, it'd only stand to reason. Besides, in my dealings with them, their customer service has been pretty first-rate.

I was wondering the same thing, I like my EJ89L but I have to be careful, I'm looking to add more grip and a new handle would be the easy fix...

Has anyone tried emailing TESC directly about buying just the handle? Seeing as they sell disembodied razor heads, it'd only stand to reason. Besides, in my dealings with them, their customer service has been pretty first-rate.

I have just emailed them with this question. It's after business hours here now, hopefully I will get a response tomorrow, I will update here as soon as I hear something.

GP

Last edited:
Just received the new Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 Barley Chrome plated. The quality of the plating is superb.
The handle is a bit heavier (47 grams) than the DE89L (44 grams). The knurling is very fine, to me it feels like a
fatter ball end Old Type. Overall the razor is nicely balanced and feels great in the hand. I will give it a go tomorrow.

proxy.php

OMG - I just noticed this thread for some reason - that is a beautiful razor!!! Much better than the pics on the websites!

Ok. Now it seems I want this version instead of DE89L. Good thing I haven't ordered one yet!

Now let's see which vendor has it in stock...

Ok. Now it seems I want this version instead of DE89L. Good thing I haven't ordered one yet!

Now let's see which vendor has it in stock...

Go with the Barley Chrome. The head is the same on all of them but believe me, as the pictures demonstrate, this is simply one beautiful razor. The knurling is fantastic and the plating is second to none. IMO, the Barley chrome is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the DE89s offered. Oh, did I mention it shaves wonderfully?

How does the weight of these razors compare with that of a fat-handled Tech? The Tech seems really light, but I like the way it feels/balances. Would I be better off with the old Muhle R89 because it's lighter? Or is the head of these razors considerably heavier than that of a Tech?

If I like the fat-handled Tech, which one of these would suit me best?

@ OldGreyGuy - Thanks for pointing me out the way to the "treasure" ; )

@ oversaturn - Does the real thing look this good? Or your photography skill makes it so, man? And one word about your photo: gorgeous!

@ shaverjoe - Agreed. I think I prefer the Barley Chrome to the Lined Chrome now. And it's nice to know it shaves wonderfully too!

Last edited:
How does the weight of these razors compare with that of a fat-handled Tech? The Tech seems really light, but I like the way it feels/balances. Would I be better off with the old Muhle R89 because it's lighter? Or is the head of these razors considerably heavier than that of a Tech?

If I like the fat-handled Tech, which one of these would suit me best?

I received my DE89 Barley and Muhle R41 last week and find the balance perfect with the EJ head and R41 handle. The handle has better grip on the Muhle also. So with using the EJ head and Muhle handle I've made myself an R89. So go with an R89 if you want similar balance to a Fat Handle Tech.

I received my DE89 Barley and Muhle R41 last week and find the balance perfect with the EJ head and R41 handle. The handle has better grip on the Muhle also. So with using the EJ head and Muhle handle I've made myself an R89. So go with an R89 if you want similar balance to a Fat Handle Tech.

The R41 handle is heavier than the R89 handle (though lighter than the DE89 Barley). It looks the same, but it is actually weighted different.

Thanks, Denis.

Top Bottom