What's new

Simpsons Chubby 1 QA/QC?

Completely honest and transparent answer: I'd keep/return based on how I liked the knot.

I'd feel justified that I should have a brush without such a defect, having spent what I had. If the knot wasn't to my liking, I'd request a replacement, and would hope the next specimen would have the knot shape I preferred. If I was lucky to receive a knot shape I liked, the former would still be true, but I'd suck it up knowing that knot shapes can vary quite a bit, and the replacement may have perfect engraving and a less favorable knot.

Make sense?

I'd keep it. If the handle was chipped or dinged or deeply scratched or something it'd go back like a flash but that's different to me. I would guess the reason they don't sell "seconds" like this at a reduced rate is because guys like me (assuming we were in the market for this brush at the time) would buy it for virtually no discount, because frankly that error doesn't affect the brushes value at all in my eyes. Assuming that JP is only referring to a visual inspection, not using the knot and then deciding, I could see myself following his method, but only if I really wasn't happy with the knot. If it were a cm higher loft than spec without some redeeming factor, then yeah I might return it "because of the 4".

I'd keep it. If the handle was chipped or dinged or deeply scratched or something it'd go back like a flash but that's different to me. I would guess the reason they don't sell "seconds" like this at a reduced rate is because guys like me (assuming we were in the market for this brush at the time) would buy it for virtually no discount, because frankly that error doesn't affect the brushes value at all in my eyes. Assuming that JP is only referring to a visual inspection, not using the knot and then deciding, I could see myself following his method, but only if I really wasn't happy with the knot. If it were a cm higher loft than spec without some redeeming factor, then yeah I might return it "because of the 4".

Quality control applies to the entirety of the product, including materials, workmanship and appearance. To accept anything else from a manufacturer who markets themselves as superior in all these respects is a slippery slope. I am surprised at how many members of this forum would let this slide.

Quality control applies to the entirety of the product, including materials, workmanship and appearance. To accept anything else from a manufacturer who markets themselves as superior in all these respects is a slippery slope. I am surprised at how many members of this forum would let this slide.

I don't believe in slippery slopes and I don't stare at the etching on my brushes. Yeah, something like this shouldn't have slipped by. But I look at it this way. The quarter second it takes to make sure my "1" is a "1" and not a "4", I'd rather be spent making that much more sure the knot is just right. I'd rather have a Chubby "4" with an infinitesimally superior knot than a Chubby 1. You paid for a premium brush and you wanted it to be perfect, I'm not faulting you for it. I just wouldn't care if it were my brush. Ask one guy and he'll say I'm more of a realist. Ask another and he'll say I just have lower standards. Ask a third and he'll say our priorities are just different. That's what makes the world go round and all that.

If only the errant etching had been vertical. I've been watching for a good Chubbie 11 for some time now. Sigh...:crying:

Quality, like safety, is an attitude and is part of the culture of a company/organization (or not) If the culture is in place and QA/QC department is firing on all cylinders we, the consumer, should never see the "seconds". I see a lot of concern on this thread about the loft height, density, symmetry, etc of the knot.. the only way this could possibly be a concern to the members is if more than just a couple of us have received such off spec brushes. I agree that the knot is the most important part of any brush and as such it is the last component I would expect to be compromised. Fixing these problems at the customer service end is ***-backwards in my opinion, and accepting anything but the best from a company that markets themselves as one of the best is not helpful to the company or any potential consumer. This is why the world is a awash in ****e and our landfills are full to overflowing.

I see a lot of concern on this thread about the loft height, density, symmetry, etc of the knot.. the only way this could possibly be a concern to the members is if more than just a couple of us have received such off spec brushes.

An assessment which needs to be couched in terms of how many of us own Simpsons brushes vs. other makes (a mistake I've made in the past).

I agree that the knot is the most important part of any brush and as such it is the last component I would expect to be compromised. Fixing these problems at the customer service end is ***-backwards in my opinion, and accepting anything but the best from a company that markets themselves as one of the best is not helpful to the company or any potential consumer. This is why the world is a awash in ****e and our landfills are full to overflowing.

1. It's easy to be judgmental when your hands aren't on the tools, ain't it?
2. QC/CS exist because mistakes happen. I doubt you'd find any business which simply cranks out crap and assumes that CS and QC will deal with the stuff that misses the mark badly enough. It's just silly.

Fixing these problems at the customer service end is ***-backwards in my opinion, and accepting anything but the best from a company that markets themselves as one of the best is not helpful to the company or any potential consumer. This is why the world is a awash in ****e and our landfills are full to overflowing.

I highly doubt sub-standard high end shaving goods are clogging up landfills. We all buy too much of everything, all the time. Previous generations would be astounded at our general greed and waste. In some parts of the world there is still a recession on. In past recessions people went without food.

An assessment which needs to be couched in terms of how many of us own Simpsons brushes vs. other makes (a mistake I've made in the past).

1. It's easy to be judgmental when your hands aren't on the tools, ain't it?
2. QC/CS exist because mistakes happen. I doubt you'd find any business which simply cranks out crap and assumes that CS and QC will deal with the stuff that misses the mark badly enough. It's just silly.

In my experience working in QA/QC is that we work side by side with all levels of the manufacturing/construction process, including with the guys with their hands on the tools, all the way up to upper management to ensure that "stuff" does not miss the mark in the first place and to address problems/processes that do inevitably arise. Again quality is an attitude.

I highly doubt sub-standard high end shaving goods are clogging up landfills.

:lol::lol::lol:

OP, you purchased a handmade product. It had a small cosmetic defect that you were unable to live with. You returned said product for a full refund/replacement after Mark from Vulfix personally went to bat for you. What's the problem here?

In my experience working in QA/QC is that we work side by side with all levels of the manufacturing/construction process, including with the guys with their hands on the tools, all the way up to upper management to ensure that "stuff" does not miss the mark in the first place and to address problems/processes that do inevitably arise. Again quality is an attitude.

You do realise you're the only person ever to report a a chubby "4"?

I can only partly agree with you here. Much of your argument is proposed from the Ideal World perspective. You cannot, based on your work own situation, make assumptions about the nature and and processes relevant to other industries and methods of manufacture. Quality is not a transferable and generic commodity. Yes, quality is an attitude too. I guess we could point to the Japanese as proof of that. But their industries are based around high levels of automation and production line processes. Would their current QA processes be appropriate to the production of handmade goods?

Also, if you buy a lemon car, you just try and get it exchanged, or get your money back. Now compare that with the outcome on the comparatively low value item you bought.

Human error is what often causes QA issues. Even by the people whose job it may be to ensure QA. Put people under pressure and they make mistakes.

Even I've made a couple. But it was back in the 90s and I was on my own, so I think I got away with it.

Last edited:
Drubbing, you are right and I am very happy with the brush I now own and the service I received from the vendor (first response from them not-withstanding) and particularly impressed by Marks response to this thread. I am not a wealthy person and enjoy many comparatively low value items in my life, a 70 year old razor, a quality brush, a decent bottle of scotch once in awhile, Cuban cigars, locally brewed beers, I cook on 100 year old cast Iron, etc, etc. In my line of work I strive to provide my clients/customers with the best we can give them and work diligently to solve/resolve issues as and when they arise (preferably before) and this is the way I expect to be treated by others, and if not I vote with my wallet. As I have tried to put across several times previously in this thread accepting less than the expected standard is not helpful to any one, least of all the service provider.
Also I think I may have made a couple of mistakes in the 90's but I blame it on the weed....

Last edited:
Top Bottom