What's new

Stanley Thermos

Gents, I bought me a good ol' Stanley Thermos.
I broke it in today. Brewed a fresh pot of coffee this morning. A Hawaiian blend that my brother just brought back from vacation.

It's noon now and as I sip a cup, its practically as hot as it was in the morning.

Gotta love the Stanley Thermos.
Keeping men productive since 1913:thumbup1:

I got one for a HS graduation present and I got my Grandpa's both of them are the steel green ones. Grandpa's was beat up pretty good and I had to replace the cup and pour through cap on it. I use it the most. I also have a Stanley Soup container it will keep chili , soup or stew hot all day.

I've got a 1/2 gallon Stanley thermos that I found at a donations center for five bucks. It definately keeps the coffee hot.

Clayton

To be honest, I think the Stanleys are too big. I have a one litre Thermos Light and Compact. Drinkable warm water after THREE DAYS. You can't beat it.

Fantastic brutes, I've had a couple of them for years now, been through some very rough fishing trips and continue to take a beating.

Just like a good pocket knife, wd40, and duct tape... the stanley green steel thermos is something every man should own. :thumbup1:

Lol for deer hunting my dad and I go through 2 of them through out the day... each! I loved my thermos that I had for 15+ years unfortuneately they changed the design on me :mad3: So I switched to a stanley, which while not staying quite as warm, actually is easier to use/clean. Not to mention having most of it parts being replaceable.

Of course the first year that I had my nice shiny new stanley I had to drop it out of the deer stand accidently, I think it hit every branch going down too :blush: Now it just has that nice "worn in look" :thumbup:

I've had a Thermos or two, but I don't use mine for coffee-I use it for wetshaving. I shave in the shower and will heat water the night before, store it in the Thermos and use it to soak my brush and razor in when I shave the next day. Picked one up at the local thrift store for $1.

I acutally saw an older Thermos at the local flea market today and the guy only wanted .25 for it. Didn't want to carry it around with me, so when back for it and someone else had bought it.

Beerman

Stanley _used_ to make great vacuum bottles. I've got a big green one made in the USA in the 80's that's still going strong. I doubt they're still "Stanley" anymore in the sense that "Gillette" isn't Gillette anymore (same company and values that it embodied during its heyday).

I needed a smaller one so I got the smaller green version, made in China. Something made in China is not necessarily crap, but this one was defective. I found it wasn't keeping coffee hot for just 5-6 hours (initial pouring). It was supposed to keep drinks hot for 15 hours, I think. Using a thermometer, boiling water wasn't "hot" 12 hours later.

The good news is that their customer support is fine. They sent me another bottle free of charge and this one stayed hot for the 12 hour test.

I do like the wide-mouth opening and pour through cap on the newer models. It's just possible that their quality control is a little spotty.

Steve

I have the big green Stanley from my first job back in '71 so I assume it a real Stanley. I just bought another for the wife, so she can pre-load her cream and sugar, I assume it's the new Stanley and we can't tell the difference. I have several nice silver flask which I don't want to carry often and ruin so I bought the small green Stanley flask and it's great.

I have the big green Stanley from my first job back in '71 so I assume it a real Stanley. I just bought another for the wife, so she can pre-load her cream and sugar, I assume it's the new Stanley and we can't tell the difference. I have several nice silver flask which I don't want to carry often and ruin so I bought the small green Stanley flask and it's great.

I have been wanting to get one of the small flasks, but up here in Canada they are a real pain to find (or get shipped) :mad3:

Stanley _used_ to make great vacuum bottles. I've got a big green one made in the USA in the 80's that's still going strong. I doubt they're still "Stanley" anymore in the sense that "Gillette" isn't Gillette anymore (same company and values that it embodied during its heyday).

I needed a smaller one so I got the smaller green version, made in China. Something made in China is not necessarily crap, but this one was defective. I found it wasn't keeping coffee hot for just 5-6 hours (initial pouring). It was supposed to keep drinks hot for 15 hours, I think. Using a thermometer, boiling water wasn't "hot" 12 hours later.

The good news is that their customer support is fine. They sent me another bottle free of charge and this one stayed hot for the 12 hour test.

I do like the wide-mouth opening and pour through cap on the newer models. It's just possible that their quality control is a little spotty.

Steve

Yeah. Unfortunately like most everything else today's product is not the same in quality or performance as it once was.:mad3:

Legion

Staff member
I have one of the vintage ones, looks just like this. I had some newer plastic ones, got rid of them. This is much better.

proxy.php

Top Bottom