What's new

Gillette Rubie Platinum Vs Rapira Platinum Lux

I've been testing these two blades over the past few weeks. I gotta say they both seem very similar. I cant tell the difference.

They are both very sharp and smooth on both my 89l and Futur. I also get atleast 5 shaves from each one. I have only gotten a weeper or two nothing I would consider the blades fault. They are definetly nice to have in my rotation.

The only edge I give to the Platinum Lux blades is that they are less expensive. But it's nice to have them both in rotation. :thumbup:

Anyone else try them?

Altair, the Rubie package on the far right looks like one identified as fake in a previous thread. The "illuminations" from the star do not appear to the same as on the other package. Or is it just me and my senior eyes? Or is this counterfeit thing all confused?

Sorry friend, you're confused. I get all my blades from Legitimate US Vendors. I dont purchase my blades on E-bay, unless its from a legitimate US vendor.

My blades came from David (www.RazorBladesandMore.com) :thumbup:

No China Blades In my Den

I see what you mean, The pictures on the Left are Boxes, and the Pictures on the Right are of the Envelopes. When they did the fake blade reviews they only took pictures of the boxes.

I think maybe when the counterfeits where made they copied the Blade Envelopes, and put them on the box. I think thats where the confusion lies.

Last edited:
Ah! Thanks for the clarification, Altair! Had no idea that there was a design on the wrappers as well as on the package. Am very interested in your perspective on the blades; hope to try both of these soon.

Thanks for pointing it out. I think those darn counterfeiters copied the wrapper and made it into the box. if you see the original wraper looks like the fake box.

Good eyes. But lets not deviate from the discussion. I hope others submit their review on what they think about the blades!

Yes, I would concur that these blades are very close in what they do. Also amazingly similar packaging!

There is a way to tell from the Fakerubies from the genuine as an upwrapped blade - the printing on the tabs (3 lines) are much heavier than what is shown on the genuine blade above.

I would say that the Rubies for me are a markedly better blade, and well worth the extra money for the smoothness in the shave, and an excellent and close/comfortable result with no irritation at all. For me, I call them "Cheap 7 O'Clock Blacks" as they are so close it is not funny. It's my belief that they are the same spec blade as the Russian 7OC Blues which are very hard to get your hands on.

However, the Rapiras are also very good value for money as they are cheaper (less so these days) but I prefer the PPI-produced Gillettes over the Mostochlegmash grind.

Last edited:
I've been testing these two blades over the past few weeks. I gotta say they both seem very similar. I cant tell the difference.

The only edge I give to the Platinum Lux blades is that they are less expensive. But it's nice to have them both in rotation.

Anyone else try them?

I've been testing these two blades too. And absolutely agree with you. Platinum Lux blades is three times cheaper then Rubie in Russia.
Rapira made in Moscow, and Rubie in St. Petersburg. I think the only difference in this:001_smile

I've been testing these two blades too. And absolutely agree with you. Platinum Lux blades is three times cheaper then Rubie in Russia.
Rapira made in Moscow, and Rubie in St. Petersburg. I think the only difference in this:001_smile

Thanks for sharing with us. Another good blade is the Ladas, I think that one may be the equivalent on the 7 Oclock Yellow, The Voskhod the equivalent of the Sputnik.

Either way they are nice to have around.

Yes, I would concur that these blades are very close in what they do. Also amazingly similar packaging!

There is a way to tell from the Fakerubies from the genuine as an upwrapped blade - the printing on the tabs (3 lines) are much heavier than what is shown on the genuine blade above.

I would say that the Rubies for me are a markedly better blade, and well worth the extra money for the smoothness in the shave, and an excellent and close/comfortable result with no irritation at all. For me, I call them "Cheap 7 O'Clock Blacks" as they are so close it is not funny. It's my belief that they are the same spec blade as the Russian 7OC Blues which are very hard to get your hands on.

However, the Rapiras are also very good value for money as they are cheaper (less so these days) but I prefer the PPI-produced Gillettes over the Mostochlegmash grind.

I did not know that about the lines. by the way I took those pictures on raw format and messed around with the colors a bit. Just to make them pop a bit.

Top Bottom